Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find Packards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TREE, Aug 6, 2006.

1. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

I found these Packards last week, a '38 coupe and a '48 4 door. They have been sitting the better part of the last 40 years. My dad bought them both and the plan is to sell the '48 and keep the '38 and get it back on the road as is. Both are super solid cars with very little rust. The only thing I can find missing on the '38 is the lens that goes over the clock that's located in the glove box door.

I think the '38 coupe would make a killer taildragger!!

They're still out there, and once again, these cars found me, I didn't find them!!

Attached Files:

2. kweeze2005

kweeze2005
    from indiana

GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!!!! packards are great!!!

3. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

Here's pics of the '48, too bad they're so freakin ugly

Attached Files:

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

It depends on how you look at them. In some ways thay are kinda cool.

5. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

what I would do to pick that one up!

I think they look great...

6. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

are you looking to part out the '48. i could use some stuff for mine cause i am making it look awsome

7. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

actually it's too nice to part out, hopefully I'll post it for sale on here sometime soon

8. moses

moses

turn the 48 into a flintstone flyer strait axle gasser

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

That dude's nuts, the '48 is way too nice to part out. That '38 Coupe looks bad ass!

Did you find them in Ohio? Thanks for the pics!

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A friend of mine is just on his way to Miss. to pick up a 37 Packard......It would make a cool taildrager.

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

How much do want for the 48, I think it looks great.

12. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

Johnny1290: Yep, they were right here in my home town

Brush: I told Pop, we need to build a taildragger. He said, huh? He then proceded to tell me that we need to get it running and enjoy it as it is. I said that's cool, we can do that....patience is one of my better virtues

Dreadman: Not sure what the price will be, but will probably be reasonable. Shipping to CA I'm sure would be a killer

I'll post more pics when we pull them out

13. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

PLEASE- DON'T cut that '38 up- Those were Beautiful automobiles (expensive too) Restore it to original (or sell it to someone who will) either way, it's the right thing to do, and how often in a lifetime does THAT happen?:)

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Eisenfaust you are so on the wrong board to be
    preaching the restore thing.

It'll be a bad ass custom, that's for sure...

15. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Theres a chopped red 48 Packard comes to York for the Nats, killer looking car

16. tommy v

tommy v

chop it and drag its ass :D

17. A little more often than the chance to lop a few inches out of the roof!!!:D

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell the 48 to fund slamming the 38, slice the lid and put it in the weeds. Yeah man what a cool taildrager that would be, the rarer the car the better!

19. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

Z- I'm not "preaching" anything- Do you cut up a Ferrarri? How 'bout a Duesenberg? An original Shelby Mustang? A '54 'Vette? NO- because of their value. There's guy's that'll pay LARGE for that Packard to do a points restoration on it. Maybe if you'd have given some thought to what I said before automatically saying something stupid just to prove you're "one of the guys", you would have figured that out on your own...

20. CHOP!, CHANNEL, FLAAMETHROWERS!....MAKE THE PURISTS SQUIRM!

21. First off,...He isn't half as worked up about this as you are...Secondly, I guess you'd really blow a gasket if you saw what were doing to the 1919 12 cly, Packerd Roadster my uncle found in a ravine in Southern AZ....Supposedly theres only 14 known to exsist....But Who Cares...because it's gonna live again...maybe not "Original", but hell seein people like you squirm is half the fun....and it beats the hell outta it turning to dust in desert....Get a grip dude!

22. Preaching no... But it sounds alot like my 9 year old crying over something he has no control over and very little to do with.

Get out your hanky Eisenfist, it aint a Ferrari but a good family friend cut up a late 50's alfa race car and reconfigured it into a driver. Now it gets driven all the time, not just polished by some "nob". A whole line of these "nobs" from the prancing horse set have offered big $$$, they just can't believe the owner/builder, who works for a living and struggles to get by, won't take the money and run, but alas the alfa ain't for sale... ever

s.

23. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

Eisenfaust, I understand your point of view. I can appreciate an original, unmolested, old car. There's something about the simple elegance of an original car that I really dig.

That said, I could modify and customize the '38 and not think twice about it..:)

24. Not that anyone asked for my opinion but I agree that restoring it would be awesome. I have a friend with a restored 37 Cabriolet. They were beautiful cars, and the trim and trinkets made them standout. But, everytime I see my buddies 37 I think "man that thing would rule if it was lying on the ground with a set of flush fit skirts on it". It is possible to have the best of both worlds.

25. fastcat

fastcat

pic of my 49 packard chopped channeled and slammed. Kindof an old pic alot more done to it now.

Attached Files:

26. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

We finally pulled the '48 out Sunday, hopefully the '38 will come out this weekend

Attached Files:

27. A wise man once said "Imagination is more important than talent" could have been Walt Disney, I'm not sure.
    ...anyways, either one of these sleds could be killer with the right imagination. I'm kinda on the fence about the '38, but with the right tasteful touches it would be unreal. Needs to be a completed project, not some floorless, flatlback, rat-rod. Think Detroit Auto show material circa 1960! Keep the Packard mill at all cost's, these things ran like Swiss watches. Would be a SIN to drop in a SBC!
    JT

28. hemi

hemi

Tail dragger, we have enough restored ego-machines and whiny bitches. Take about 4" out of the top, shave it, skirt it and lower it to the ground....it'd be perfect.

Personally, if I found it, I'd swiss cheese it, straight axle it, and add a blown & injected hemi....and call it the "High Roller."

29. chaser

chaser
    from utah

Fastcat, lets see some more pics of that bad ass packard!

30. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH