Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Dodge C1B... Farm truck to Hotrod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 59Bisquik, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Thought I would share my 55 Dodge build. I have been working on her since 2015 when I picked her up in pieces from my Dad in Oregon. I took her home and cleaned her up and put it all back together. I drove her stock with the 230 flat head, 3 speed, bias tires and 4.10's for quite a while and really enjoyed it. After going to a show and winning a trophy for best "lifted truck", I kinda lost it and decided to go the hotrod route. I completely rebuilt the suspension, added a Nostalgia sids drop axle and got her down on the ground for a better look. I kept her like that for quite a while and then decided to upgrade to a 325 Dodge Hemi. 14715617_10210705940551360_3568365201178938887_o.jpg
    engine 1 2005.jpg
    Today was the first day out on the road with the new V8 and it is currently in the muffler shop for some exhaust before Viva. It took quite a while to build the hemi and I am excited to see how she drives out on the road. Besides a stock rebuild, I added 9.5:1 pistons, a Clay Smith cam, Sanderson headers and had the factory 4 barrel milled to match the modern Edelbrock pattern and bore size.
    IMG_2135.JPG IMG_1679.JPG

2. Gonna look good in that engine bay,nice dodge.

59Bisquik likes this.
  3. earlymopar

earlymopar

Great looking, very clean pickup!

- EM

chryslerfan55 and 59Bisquik like this.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

GREAT looking Dodge, solid build, too. Sits so right...truly deserves that Red Ram!
    What did you decide on for transmission?
    Lovely truck, real step side.

chryslerfan55, Hnstray and 59Bisquik like this.
  5. I love the looks of a low-box Dodge. I traded my 47 Caddy for this 55 low-box in Portland back in '72. 57pontsupercheif.jpg

6. Damn dude. That's a great truck you're building. Thanks for sharing ! Frek'n ruler !

59Bisquik likes this.
  7. Thanks for the compliments! Currently she still has the stock 3 speed. I have a 54 Plymouth R10 overdrive that I was going to put in for the retro feel, but it had broken syncro teeth. That will need some attention before installation. However, I am worried about it standing up to the V8. I am also looking at a world class T5, but need to find the 9 1/2" input shaft that was used on Holden's. I dont know how hard that would be to find. The deadline to have the truck road worthy is next week, so I made the stock tranny work for now so I can get to the show. Once I get her home, I can start working on the OD tranny and the rear disc brakes.

It was alot of work to put the hemi in here. Just because the truck had an optional V8, does not mean it will bolt right in! Moving linkages, cross members etc was like building a jigsaw puzzle that you're not sure what its supposed to look like. Not a whole lot of info on the era Dodge, much less the V8 variety.

I did get 2 1/2" dual exhaust with Flowmaster Super 10's installed today. Still finishing up the wiring and need some road time before a 200+ mile road trip to Vegas next Thursday. IMG_2469.JPG IMG_2470.JPG

8. Terraizer

Terraizer

very nice

59Bisquik likes this.
  9. Hey, that's a nice truck.
    Especially with one of Sid's great axles.
    Keep us posted..........................

59Bisquik likes this.
  10. exterminator

exterminator

Very nice. Hope to see your truck at cruise night sometime at Farmer boys .

59Bisquik likes this.
  11. I do need to get down there some day. My buddy Foley heads down there all the time. Maybe now with 12v, I will be able to see enough to drive at night.

chryslerfan55 and exterminator like this.
  12. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I've got a soft spot for the 50's dodge trucks. I had a 57 with push button auto. Wish I never sold it!

Your truck looks awsome...

59Bisquik likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The transmission you have was used through '56 on most any Mopar with a stick shift 3 speed. Adequate for street driving, maybe not so much for drag strip or street abuse.

Neat truck.....love what you are doing with it.

Ray

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

To me a Dodge 5 window has it all over the Chevy-GMC version.

InstantT and 59Bisquik like this.
  15. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

There are lots of Holden's down here in Australia. Hambers have sent me all kind of unobtainium parts, so if you nut out exactly what you need, I could probably get you one on my Hamb karma account??

Sent from my Pixel using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  16. Wow! Thanks for the Offer Mark! I might just take you up on that.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Thought I would post up some updates. Been busy collecting parts and continuing to build. I picked up a chrome front bumper recently and found all the R10 parts. The bumper will need to be rechromed, but all the hard work of filling and smoothing to make a Dodge bumper chrome worthy is done. The R10 is apart and being cleaned and rebuilt. Also picked up a 8 3/4 I can use down the road. I already have 54 Plymouth 3.73's but will think about the 8 3/4 and what gears i can put in it after getting some road time on the R10. Maybe my current gear setup will be great with the OD tranny.
    It will be quite a while before I get this last goodie installed, but they are my favorite manifolds and super rare. I just had to get it and it had never been installed before. 20200604_164000.jpg 20200628_134602.jpg

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

19. exterminator

exterminator

Awesome looking powerplant!

20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I've been working on a 56 for a friend, they are neat trucks. I like what you are doing with yours, thanks for posting 20211113_103316.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. 6sally6

6sally6

Very NICE Dodge Truck...I like it! ;);););););)
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.