Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hirohata

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Jan 15, 2022.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oh, heck no. Notice I said when the big-ticket stuff rolls across... There's some real deals at some of the auctions, especially at the low end, but at the top levels some of the prices are more Art pricing than Car pricing and it's not you and I who are bidding. At that level it seems like you have to just not care if you are investing wisely or not. At $1.9M, I bet we see that car at auction in a few years going for 400-450K rather than $2.2M. But you never know, and that's the attraction for some people. I know some folks who have been buying and selling at auctions since before they got so popular and the games and drama have always been part of the fun.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  2. hudson48

hudson48

Mercury no low ballers.jpg

3. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only designed, but built this car in a wheel chair ,if I remember correctly. A long ago article about Harry inspired me as a very young hot rodder.A True Man among men.

chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't I see that car in the Roger Rabbit movie???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. phat rat

phat rat

Just think Jim McNiel bought the car for $500 off a car lot in 59. According to a chart I found that's the same as $4800 today. That's not too shabby a profit

alphabet soup and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

But they kept it for 63 years. And I`m sure had many chances to sell it. And for a lot more than $500 dollars.

7. phat rat

phat rat

And the offers were probably never anything like $1.95 Mil

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Would that $1.95 Mil include buyers premium or would that be on top?

9. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Come to find out a little more the guy that owned it and had it restored wanted it red as that was the color of his ball team who ever that was, its changed hands twice since then, as you well know the auction companys don't do a search top see what they are selling.

10. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Me too. More Caretakers are needed.

11. Krylon, it came to $2,145,000 with buyers premium.

Mick

chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Every time the prices on top go up they pull the bottom feeders up also....

13. I explain this to people, it is more than just owning a nice car. You are responsible for making sure that nothing happens to it as well. I have had more than 1 dreamer talk about buying a nice car, yet they don't even have a place to keep it.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, especially for a car I have no interest in.... For the money that was bid on it, I could have bought 14 very cool rides and still have plenty left over....:rolleyes:

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Actually built while Bradley lived in NJ. Custom work, bodywork and paint, by Sea Isle City craftsman, Herb Gary. Another custom genius, that practically no one's heard of.
    Chopped Mercs all look the same???? Really????? I say that of all 32 Fords and 57 Chevies! Because it's true!

16. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Yep! 27 Cents :)

17. Your Cash Ain't Nothin But Trash, was a 50's song by the Clovers vocal group around 1955. Steve Miller was a fan and stole the line for his song. It's the HAMB we gota be straight up straight here. JW

18. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Spot on @bobss396. Well said, that’s we’re dreaming and reality meet. Buying it is just the beginning.

bobss396 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Jack Walker is a class act. He also cloned the Hirohata,and it was beautiful. He owned and became caretaker of many historic cars and some lesser known, like my Moonglow tribute. One of the most humble car guys that I’ve had a pleasure to meet.

20. Budget36

Budget36

So I’ll set some things straight as well;). Google “wild mountain honey “ and then you’ll see my attempt at having some fun:)

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

22. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

Watching that video will bring a little moisture to your eyes. To see the love and passion for this car in the eyes and faces of all who have be involved leaves me speechless.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My feelings exactly. It's not all about the car, but the people involved, since Sam Barris, lit the torch all those years ago.

24. Deuces

Deuces

I like Stevie Miller's version of this song.... It's what I grew up with....;)

Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

Both painted by true artisans. Junior Conway & Larry Watson, respectively. The Hirohata Merc currently has a Junior's paint job on it.
    Of course the Merc is by far the most iconic custom. It's the little touches that you really have to look for that sets it apart from the others. Including the art work by Von Dutch on the glove box. The city striped within the pinstriping is art work in itself.

27. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Wayyyy tooo muchhh info.
    Stretch