Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HOLY (crap) GRAIL Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Jan 15, 2022.

1. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not a custom but iconic to me is the TLBT 55.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 3W Larry's . . . so reet!
    3WLarry.jpg

3. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

2016-09-27_20-41-52-1.jpg This is the ultimate for me.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The Graffiti coupe is probably the most famous hot rod, but I don't know if I'd call it the holy grail. In the same way that the Merc from Rebel Without a Cause (or even Cobra, for that matter) might be more famous, especially to the general public, than the Hirohata/Barris car, but that fame alone doesn't make it the holy grail to custom car people.

The McMullen car, Isky's T, several of the first GNRS winners, and several early salt flat record holders all would be considered great icons of hot rodding, but I'm not sure there's one rod that's as definitive as "the" hotrod like the Hirohata is to custom cars.

Interesting topic.

5. Just as in religion, the "holy grail" depends on the person's personal passion. We all have various ideas of perfection.

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I think back to the ones i built as models ALA KART, ORANGE CRATE, but the California kid brought a lot of folks to the sport, and certainly, like it or not the ZZ Top coupe did also. As well as A.G. coupe. The Isky roadster, that is a very special car. i wish some one would produce a kit of that one. KEEP EM COMING!!

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's some raw material to build a copy of the Isky roadster. But I think you'll need a few more models to have all the right parts.
    7a8538b0-e927-48b6-b60b-4f2fa38fe824.182e5316594ed2269561a48627784e0a.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and echo ed like this.
  8. adam401

adam401

If I bought this car regardless of history id rip it apart and build a chopped highboy. Anyone that recreates this car with a short grill shell is a real fan I guess but I never liked the car.

chryslerfan55, Chili Phil and NoSurf like this.
  9. It looks great in the movie. The scenery, the music the vibe of the movie......
    But I’d never build correct clone of it

10. L B

L B
    from So Cal

B8F977E7-99FA-4EC4-80D6-F7C6CB394BF4.jpeg View attachment 5289486
    Here you go Rod1

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  11. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Just as in religion, the "holy grail" depends on the person's personal passion. We all have various ideas of perfection."

I totally agree with 56don on this.

But I also wonder how much the media hype, tv hype, auction hype, original builder hype, internet hype, etc actually help disillusioned old guys thinking this was a holy grail.

remember this was dumped/traded in at a used car lot and sat there for a long time and this was after it was customized. sat in the back row for a long time before it was finally sold off for $150.00. Sure doesn't sound like a holy grail to me. But now you add in all the new today hypes on all this crap and it gets rebuilt and now this is a holy grail?

Holy grail to me would be owning any of Mark Moriarity's toys.

Hope I am not around when the new generation think a rebuilt rusted out yugo becomes a holy grail to own someday because someone somewhat famous had sex in the back seat of it at one time.

ok, I am off this subject for good, no more about that merc from me.

hotrodharry2, chryslerfan55 and X38 like this.
  12. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Magfiend

Magfiend

The Doyle Gammel coupe, Jake's 3W, Billy Vinther's 3W, the California Kid, Lobeck's old burgundy roadster...

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The “Holy Grail” hasn’t been found yet unless you believe in Indiana Jones. The flamed icon roadster mentioned needs a paint job in my opinion and isn’t in my top 10 of 32 roadsters let alone comparing all years. We are all different and if anything I was happy for the seller last Saturday afternoon in Florida. I’m glad the story came out on how the family was helped by Wayne and the way it happened.

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Jack Chrisman's Tudor is very high on my list.

[​IMG]

17. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Is that a VW bug curved windscreen on that?

To me the car looks fine till you get to the screen - too tall, too curved. Its probably great workmanship, but it looks a bit funky to me.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  18. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

I have always found trying to reduce your pick to just one car is an impossibility.

Phil Cool 32 1.JPG

But the Phil Cool 32 reminded us that hot rods were allowed to go quick

Willy.jpg

And this hot rod started my passion for fuel altereds. And I reckon thats a good thing.

19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's the "Loving You Roadster". It was a famous car, AV8, before the movie. Street Rod had an article years ago when the car was rediscovered. I know Iskenderian and some other big names were involved.

20. Oh yeah man, that car was awesome when I was younger. But now I see those wheels and it drives me nuts! Little paint and some steelies and I'd fall in love all over again :cool:

21. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im partial to 29 roadsters. I’ll go with a highboy and a lowboy.

3F4C5CA8-4A7B-45B4-8FAD-C9CBC5196709.jpeg B381EE8C-F1BD-4F99-8E3B-B5F4D354C888.jpeg

22. Rand Man

Rand Man

If your metric is the Hiro Merc, then your analog is the Grabowski Kookie T. Both were outstanding trendsetters and inspired thousands of similar builds.

Attached Files:

23. In terms of popularity, I think Doane Spencer roadster set a style that is timeless and has been copied probably more than others.

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy Grail to whom? HAMBers, or the WHOLE WORLD?
    Like it or not, The ZZ Top Eliminator '33 Ford is the only hot rod that checks ALL the Holy Grail boxes.

It is the most famous hot rod ever built! Every "car guy" is familiar with the car...and so are millions of non-car folks. 20 million people have a picture of it in their house (they sold 20 million Eliminator albums) and millions of people have seen all the videos with the car in it.

The car itself is no slouch either. Built by the legendary Pete & Jakes, with design input from Larry Wood and Kenny Youngblood.

...And value wise, if the Eliminator Coupe ever went to auction, it would undoubtably be the most expensive hot rod ever sold, because hot rodders, car guys, music executives, rich rock & rollers etc. would be all be potential bidders...for the Holy Grail.
    0.07.jpg

25. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Thank you I feel the same way...

hotrodharry2, hotrodlane and alanp561 like this.
  26. Mimilan

Mimilan

This one.....
    Stretched wheelbase for a 4.4 L Tipo 245 Colombo V12 ,
    DuVall windshield ,and Borrani Wires
    upload_2022-1-21_20-54-36.png

chryslerfan55, cfmvw, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  27. Edsel's Model 40 speedster, built by Bob Gregorie (Edsel kept it hidden from Henry in the gardener's shed)... but I'd love to see it with a '35 grille or with the Miller/Ford Indy grille treatment :D

upload_2022-1-21_6-28-38.jpeg [​IMG]

28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

SO lets change course a little bit. If i remember correctly , the merc, for years no one knew what happened to it or where it was. Or at least very few did. Is there a hot rod , well lets say 64 and back that is "lost" that people would pay that kind of money for if found.?

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not found.
    That would make it even more of a "holy grail".

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  30. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

Doane Spencer, Stu Hilborne ,Dick Flint ,Bob Mcgee to me are the heavy hitters in this catagory and are the cars that have inspired generations of builders yes there are later built cars that are heavily influential that range widely cadzillia,eliminator,general lee,imperial storm trooper,ala cart,blackie's, phil cool's ,milner's it can go on forever ,but to me the four above showed the way for all that followed .
    fabricator john
    miss you dad