Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC in a 1935-1940 Ford Chassis === BEST MOUNTS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Mar 2, 2018.

1. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I had the Hurst mounts in front and used a Chevelle cross member for the transmission. 406 SBC with turbo 350 in a '55 Chevy...never had any problems, and it made occasional, gasp! nitrous drag strip passes.
    cheers to you too.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  2. I like the traditional front mount . But I am an old guy!:eek:

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

From my experience, a mount that uses the early Ford biscuit sends engine vibration into the car

Vibration is traditional

joel, figure8 and RICH B like this.
  4. I have you got tyo notch it. It doesn't seem effect it any.

5. I have heard several people mention that if you use a hurst front mount you also need to support the engine around the bellhousing to avoid strain at the bellhousing area. Ford flatheads are the same weight as a sbc but they are only supported at the front and at the rear of the trans, no mid support. Do you really need the mid engine support or not?

6. The thought is the aluminum half-bell of an auto trans becomes the weakest link.

Algoma56 likes this.
  7. OK. That makes sense to me. Manual trans is ok without the mid support but automatic needs the extra support.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  8. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Well maybe, I don't think I would use an aluminum manual transmission bell housing when cast iron ones are available. A steel blow shield would probably be best. My 41' pickup I am building uses the front Hurst mount with a Speedgems aluminum bell attached to original transmission which also serves as my 'rev limiter':D

Algoma56 likes this.