Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fan modification question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Jan 3, 2022.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

How many folks (do you think) know the fatigue life of their fan and will actually periodically remove their old used metal fan and check it for microscopic flaws and cracks due to years of repeated cycles of flexing ? Answer: NOONE.
    Be wise and don't take a chance. The Ford 8RT fan that flew apart in my car had the oil filled hub , was secured with 8 bolts and remained bolted to the hub. However years of flexing work hardened the blades causing them to crack and eventually fall.
    Read about
    fatigue life here: Quite interesting.

https://www.sorbothane.com/fatigue-life.aspx

Again, look here also for deaths by broken fan.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=aut...9i57j33i299.8449j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. brading

brading

I have a feeling that I saw a post of someone on HAMB that used a 48/52 V8 fan hub and a machine front plate to take a four bolt fan.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Just to reiterate again, it was the bracket and hub design I was trying to show for the OP which the bracket could be made out of steel and more than likely a shaft and hub off the shelf somewhere could be drilled or modified to work with a fan.

4. brading

brading

Budget36 out of curiosity what is an FH as per your #26 post. Cheers Paul. Its 2am here and I am a bit tired. It has just dawned on me FH = Flathead.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Toms Dogs and Budget36 like this.
  5. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

19Fordy makes a good point. I would not use a rusty or one that was bent and straightened. Occasionally you can find an NOS one.

6. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I have found a 15.5" ford fan, 4 blades, from a 1965 that will fit on the 8baoriginal pully and clear all it needs to clear.
    The original is an 18", 3 blade.

Will this 4 blade mechanical fan move enough air?

Thanks

7. hepme

hepme

find a good radiator shop and have them standing by--

8. i had no idea old fans exploded like that... should i replace my factory one at some point?

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I suppose if you have an AACA or other show car that competes based on originality, you need to keep the OEM fan on the engine. However, I would have it checked out for microscopic flaws and cracks. Here's a Google search of places around Columbus.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=met...IAbkDkgEDMS4zmAEAoAEByAECwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz
    Otherwise, I would strongly suggest that you change out your fan if its old OR have it magnafluxed and examined by a metalurgical shop. After my fan flew apart in 1972 with me standing next to the passenger fender while revving the engine, I replaced it first with a fiberglass fan, then a plastic flex fan and lastly with a new stainless steel flex fan that I am still using.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fib...i57j33i160.10472j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I know some folks will think I am overreacting but, when I almost got killed by my own car fan blades, I became a believer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    kevinrevin likes this.