Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest So, how traditional are you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 13, 2022.

?
  1. Hard core! I make Mark Moriarity look like a street rodder

36 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Traditionally inspired, I love the look, but I like a few modern conveniences

173 vote(s)
    73.0%
  3. I am a closet street rodder that likes to hang out with hoodlums

15 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I just got here, where's the LS swap section?

13 vote(s)
    5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I consider myself as having a decent vocabulary ( both my mother & grandmother were English teachers) who in the hell uses a word like "bifurcate " ??? Sheesh !

alanp561 and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Of you modify hour product to make it Moore desirable to a after market , you make more money , but you sacrifice principals .

X-cpe likes this.
  3. Jones St.

Jones St.

Bingo.

4. Jones St.

Jones St.

Ah, yeah Trent I was there reading the text in late '02 on.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel like you, somewhat. I've been reading material starting with the little pages in the '50s. My latest ride is not too "traditional" by HAMB standards, but I really enjoy jawing with like minded rodders from around the world. It is a Deuce highboy roadster outfitted with what we needed to cruise the country in relative comfort. A 700R4 was necessary to squeeze 22 mpg from a Vortek 350 with 3.73 gears and 30.5" rear rubber. In South Texas, a Vintage Air ac/heat unit makes anytime cruising possible with a Sid Chavers Bop Top and side curtains, plus it allows us to cross 4 deserts in the good old Summertime without heat stroke. I manage to get along with Ryan and Keith in Austin and most any gearhead I meet. I don't push it since I'm acres away from flatheads, '39 gearboxes, and banjo rears, but this car has cruised us to the West Coast 5 trips with no gigs. That is what we wanted when this car started life, and that makes us happy. We love all the different strokes of the folks who build whatever. After all the smoke clears, we rodders are in this thing together.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I truly believe you just "spoke" for a whole bunch of us who drive their cars.

Roothawg, chopped, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  7. 1930 Model A with a '57 T bird 292, '55 T bird trans, '48 rear, '40 or so front axle (spring in front) '57 Chevy pick up steering box with '41 Chevy steering wheel, '39 Ford dash. Nothing on the car could not have been bought or made in 1959.

UNSHINED 2 and guthriesmith like this.
  8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bingo.

Exactly,..... I share this feeling now,... maybe in 2000 I did not.. but I learn everyday.

UNSHINED 2 and guthriesmith like this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can not wait to start on the pre 1960 parts 42 to 48 Chevy coupe project but need to find a reasonably priced car first but the modern parts from my 55 Sunliner will be slowly removed over the next few years. The 351-W and C-4 will be replaced with a correct by the casting numbers 4 bbl 272 with some 57 parts and a FMX or 62 COM trans,also thinking about removing the Fatmans spindles since I had to shorten the inner tie rods and put on wagon front drums.

Jeff Norwell and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

All in all, the hamb is still the best thing going and I appreciate Ryan keeping it going.

I was just curious about the percentage of guys that weren’t 100% period correct. Sometimes, I feel like the monks in Monthy Python punishing myself for traditional hot rod sins being committed.

Thanks for the input guys.

I am Going to ask that Mark @Moriarity close this before it goes south.

Sancho, X-cpe, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  11. X-cpe

X-cpe

I didn't know about "traditional" until I found the HAMB a few years ago. Bought my car in '80 and formed a vision for it. (mostly from the green pages of HRM) Affordability was the driver for the parts I used to fulfill that vision so it's not truly traditional. When i get it back together you'll still be able to step back a few feet and say, "They ain't nothing about it that don't say hotrod."

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would like to think that everyone knows that when the term "traditional" is used here that it means era correct pre 65. But there are a bunch that think traditional means to use the best parts you can no matter what era they are from. And that is fine if that is what you want to do, just don't post about it here. And we are not trying to tell anyone how to build their cars. It is just that this site has a very narrow focus that not all cars fall into. with that said I am locking this thread, Lets get back to hot rods and customs ok fellas?

Sancho, X-cpe and kidcampbell71 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.