Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Antenna

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dada, Jan 16, 2022.

1. dada

dada

SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT A GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR MY STOCK ANTEENA WOULD BE? 1951 CHEVY DELUXE 2 DOOR. IF THIS ISN't the right place to ask ,CAN YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION THANK YOU...

2. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a replacement for my 56 Ford from one of the vintage suppliers. I would look up Danchuks. Actually they were all pretty much the same and universal when new. I mounted on a small bracket I made under the right door on a body mount between the frame and body side. No hole in the body or front fender.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'd look for something like this, but it also depends on the size of the hole in the fender.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115014716850?

kind of expensive, might find something for less if you hunt around more.

jimmy six likes this.
  6. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Was a power antenna ever a Chevrolet option?

It was on my Pontiac, so I just fitted one and hooked the activation to the power switch on the radio.

Phil

7. squirrel

squirrel

some were vacuum powered back then, but I dont know what Chevy had...you could look in the Heritage site, they list RPOs for many of the older cars

PhilA likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. The cheapest extendable antenna you can find will work just fine.
    [​IMG]
    most just require a small hole and take about 6” space directly below the hole. A little effort to polish the shaft will get it shiny enough.

connielu and Bob Lowry like this.
  10. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

For all my hot rods, from 1937 to 1972, I have always just gone to O'Reilly or similar, and looked for
    a universal replacement. I tend to go with extendable antennas, as I like to be able to lower them when
    needed. Some on the web will have a special "key", allowing you to lower the antenna to be flush and
    then you use the pronged "key" to pull it up. I have always went with manual. Don't need to break
    something else.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-1-18_4-3-51.png

Hello,

My brother sold the Model A coupe we were working on, in addition to his 1951 Oldsmobile two door sedan to fund his newest purchase, a 1958 black Chevy Impala. It was set up to go fast and be competitive straight off of the showroom floor. (bye-bye my own first car hand me downs)

But, his first modification was a little beyond our skill set at the time. It was to remove two angled antennas from the rear fenders of the black 58 Impala and install a collapsible unit on the right front fender area.
    upload_2022-1-18_4-5-0.png

Of all of the photos and movies we took of the Impala, these were the only ones that showed a front fender mounted antenna. The rear modifications involved our friend from Los Angeles that did the removal, leaded in the patch holes and repainted the glossy black. Then he cut a hole in the front fender for the collapsible antenna.

The black paint and smooth large surface of the rear fender areas stayed shiny and looked stock. The addition of the single collapsible front antenna also gave better reception from as far away as San Diego with much clarity. The “Mighty 690” was a popular station for us.

Jnaki

Since you already have a front fender hole and old antenna, any of the collapsible antennas will have enough power to give you good reception for AM and FM. Forget the window mount tape antennas and other similar devices. When and if you have to park in a “shaky” neighborhood outside, the collapsible antenna neatly disappears, preventing simple walk by “accidents.” Any parts store or Amazon has a wide variety of those styles.

Our later model cars/station wagons went through different styles and they all did not work as well as the simple collapsible front steel antenna. ( The new shark style roof antenna is the most powerful unit, but it is not traditional item for old hot rods or customs)

12. 5window

5window