Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not Another 41 Pickup Project!! (Update: 12/06)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Got the rear m/cyl to residual valve section made to run along with the front piece, and on the first try!
    Glad that opportunity is over with!

20211021_153815.jpg

Bad picture but you get the picture.
    20211021_191551.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Grandadeo, brEad, The 39 guy and 4 others like this.
  2. Well, I’ve spent part of two days trying to find a NIB Kelsey Hayes adjustable proportioning valve that I’ve had for years. Checked every shelf, box and illogical storage place in my parts room, every cabinet and tool box in the shop, and everywhere else except a body cavity search, to no avail!
    This pisses me off to no end. Just another opportunity to spend some more money and wait on the mail, and just when I assumed to be making progress. Of course it will magically appear in the distant future.
    Other fun things to do rather than rear brake lines, I guess. Whoopee. Stay tooned.

3. Did you look in the pantry, next to the cereal? I find a lot of 'lost' parts there! now....where was I?

4. A whirlwind of time consuming things have had me doing everything BUT working on this pickup project. Still have nearly three weeks ahead of more of the same.

Did sell off two projects that I will never get to, a 40 coupe and a 77 Early Bronco. Just have to deliver them. Very time consuming.
    The funds are going to pickup body work, paint and interior, and some shop finishing.

See ya’ll in a couple weeks, hopefully.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  5. Tell me about it! Been the same with me! I am just breaking out of it now and let’s see what I can get done as the holidays roll in …..

loudbang, hotrodA and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. Check off one. Got the 40 coupe delivered!

7. UPDATE:
    40 coupe sold and delivered. 1500 miles. Chk.
    Thanksgiving travel. 500 miles. Chk.
    Bronco sold and delivered. 1200 miles. Chk.
    Storage cleared out and gas pumps, B bangers and transmissions, couple of rearends and frame table home. Chk.

Not so fast, Kemosabe. You just thought that you were making progress.
    Slipped on wet trailer, jammed and almost broke leg. Fortunately ground broke fall.
    Can’t stand on it for long. Could have been worse. Truck on hold.
    Stay tooned.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    loudbang, catdad49, 40LUV and 3 others like this.
  8. Glad you are ok but be careful - I also did that slip and fall off a trailer some 20 years ago myself! Not fun!

loudbang and hotrodA like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about the mishap, glad it isn't a lot worse. I am not a Dr but I could spray that leg with this Polyester primer and it should set up like a cast. Maybe even block it out, candy apple red, lite flake.

brEad, hotrodA, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. Thanks! But I probably need to pass on that procedure, Doc. I’m allergic to pink.

11. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Yup, this getting old ain't all it's cracked up to be. This evening we went to a Christmas event at our local county park. Had to climb around forty steps and of course I triped on the last one. Turned so I'd land on my shoulder and not do a face plant. Tore up my knee and elbow pretty good and I can barely move my arm. We need to be more careful out there. Hope you have a very Merry and Safe Christmas Bill.

Stogy, TomT, Hamtown Al and 3 others like this.
  12. Thanks, Lee! Hope that you’re on the mend. Been stuck inside for a week now, and can limp around some. Just no standing on concrete. Merry Christmas to you and Miss Linda.

13. Got back from family Christmas and another 1000 mile chingo and the gimp leg has been healing.
    Couldn't let this year end without doing something on the pile-o-parts pickup, so I bent up the last of the frame run hard brake lines.
    Not much but I'll call it progress, if nothing more than mental therapy.
    Happy New Year, ya hooligans.

20211231_183924.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  14. SPEC

SPEC

Happy New year Bill.

hotrodA, loudbang and Algoma56 like this.
  15. Leg has healed enough to stay on it a while now.
    Tackled the hard brake lines across the rear axle.
    A real PITA for something that's hidden.
    NiCopp is too expensive to screw up!
    Anyway, DONE! Line clamps next.

20220115_213316.jpg
    20220115_213401.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  16. Keep up the great work!

hotrodA and loudbang like this.
  17. Thanks, Tom! How’s your recovery going?
    I decided to run the fuel delivery stuff before I get back to the engine and trans install, so I reread your entire thread to steal any ideas.
    You settled on a Holley red pump? I used one on my roadster for years. Just noisey. Found a new one I had squirreled away! $$ saved.
    The 40 frame doesn’t have a lot of places to mount a pump below the bottom level of the tank that are easy to access when it’s on the ground.
    I have a perfectly placed crossmember that mounts the upper shocks, but it will be just above the bottom of the tank. Hope that will fill the pump OK. It gives me good access with the bed on. Maybe just make a flat hanger to drop it down?
    Need to have the filter before the pump, but this gives you the idea.

20220120_175340.jpg
    20220120_175448.jpg

TomT, Grandadeo and loudbang like this.
  18. Not so fast there, Bubba. If all else fails, read the instructions!
    “The pump MUST be located below and as close to the tank as possible. The pump is not designed to pull fuel out of the tank.”
    Anybody ever disregarded this? The fuel pickup outlet is ON TOP of the tank, not on the bottom. Any pump would have to pull fuel up and then down to the pump.
    UPDATE:
    Now I found this: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ric-fuel-pump-question.1199473/#post-13662632
    Tom had already asked the question, it was logically answered, and it is apparently OK!
    ROCK ON!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electric pumps push better than they pull as a rule of thumb. I buy a lot of cars and I have seen them install all over the place including the engine bay but for best performance and longevity I would mount near the tank and gravity fed into the pump if that option is available. I like them inside the tank, less noise, they stay cool and they work very well. In fact all my cars currently have that configuration.

A suggestion, mount that pump on a chunk of rubber to quiet it down. I have a NAPA semi truck mud flap that I have been trimming pieces off of for stuff like that for years. Air pumps for overload bags on my OT, basically anything motorized to isolate it from the frame. But don't forget to run a ground strap to the pump if you do.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Thanks for the tip, BB!

loudbang likes this.
  21. My pump came with some rubber to mount it to but I also have an old mud flap I could cut up as well. Thanks for that …..

As for a gravity feed, I don’t have much but I have some. My plan is to put some gas in the tank, start the pump, and see what happens.

In my roadster I have a cheap electronic pump to prime my 94s before attempting to start it using the stock flattie fuel pump. Can the same idea be used for a Holley pump setup - one pump priming the other - do you think?

Just a thought ……

loudbang likes this.
  22. Tom, going back to your pump thread, there was a recommendation for a Walbro FRB-13
    pump that can PULL fuel 4 ft. 18,000 hr run life. 6-8 psi. They sell direct.

https://www.walbro.com/fr-series-fuel-pumps/frb-13-reciprocating-fuel-pump/

FRB-13 RECIPROCATING FUEL PUMP
    FRB-13 RECIPROCATING FUEL PUMP (FOR REFERENCE ONLY)

[​IMG]

PERFORMANCE
    • Voltage: 12 Volt (9.0 min – 16.0 vdc max)
    • Minimum Flow Rate: 162 liters per hour (43 gph)
    • Deadhead Pressure: 42 to 56 kPa (6.0 to 8.0 psi)
    • Maximum Current Draw: 2.3 amps
    • Life: >18,000 hours
    • Dry Lift: 48 inches (120 with optional outlet check valve)

brEad and loudbang like this.
  23. Spent the last week getting parts priced, labeled and packed for the Nashville swap meet. I need a bigger swap space!
    I will start listing stuff on here when I get back.
    Not looking forward to the shipping ordeal, but I need to wise up and get rid of stuff.
    Anyhow, I managed to make a bracket to lower and make the pump inlet and outlet even with the bottom of the tank. We'll see how that works with the filter above it. Got the fittings and the tubing, on to the fuel lines!
    20220128_155525.jpg
    20220128_155426.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    The 39 guy, TomT, brEad and 4 others like this.
  24. Really dragging ass after getting back from doing the Nashville swap meet by myself!
    Unpacked the truck and put up some unsold parts.
    Did manage to get some fuel lines bent up and installed. Maybe get to the front tomorrow. Stay tooned.
    20220209_171811.jpg

20220209_171703.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    The 39 guy, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run Walbro in tank pumps on 3 of my cars right now and they have been fuel proof :cool:

loudbang and TomT like this.
  26. Fuel or fool proof? Or both?:D
    I looked at those, but I already had this new Red so thought I would use it. I had good results from the one on my roadster for 30 years. Of course a new one will probably turn to crap right away.:rolleyes:

The 39 guy, loudbang and TomT like this.
  27. Well, it looks like the only thing I brought home from Nashville, besides unsold parts, was "the head cold from hell". Kickin' my butt.
    But I managed to finish the fuel line up to where it connects to the pressure reg and the engine. Of course that last union won't tighten up, so it's back to the parts store tomorrow! %!#@$ opportunities..
    Next: oil prime and leak check the Desoto, if I get to feelin' better.
    Stay tooned.
    20220213_181123.jpg
    20220213_183507.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    The 39 guy, rockable, brEad and 3 others like this.
  28. Nothing going on except finalizing the fuel line job that won’t end. Painted the pump and reg brackets I made up. Did the FINAL(!?) assembly and mounting of the filter and pump. Couple more tweaks and line clamps to drill and tap and I'm calling it quits. Got zero energy with this cold. Poor pitiful me.:rolleyes:
    20220218_183911.jpg

29. You have the fuel line job that won’t end and I have the exhaust job that won’t end! Lol!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  30. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

What is the part number for the A/C fuel filter you are using? I like that set up.