Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Any two engines using the same cylinder head - regardless of their displacements - will make the same power. The peak power will just occur at different speeds. The smaller engine will peak at a higher RPM.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and ottoman like this.
  2. That's true the available air flow in the head is where power is made however intake, cam shaft and headers in the right combination can make the head work better or worse if not matched just right.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve been running inline engines for over 40 years with success in Land Speed and found they need different design criteria than other venues at least for me. Pan design turned out to be a bigger help than a drysump at the rpm I am using the engine. Vacuum also played a part in this. The type of cam follower dictated the use of a scraper; distance from rotating elements also made a difference.

Fuel and compression ratio for the limited head flow was a huge factor to the rpm/hp/torque puzzle especially at the altitude of the venue and no power added or supercharger. Ignition was a big factor also in firing the chosen fuel and there are manufacturers of products which many are unaware of to enhance the limited power. Once you have feel you are going in the proper direction the exhaust system also become a factor that can help or hinder what your trying to do and making it fit the application.

I’ve mentioned before that 3 miles is not a 1/4 mile and cannot be treated the same.(read traction/drag) 5 miles is not 3 miles either and threw a curve I was not expecting when we qualified to run that far.

John is reaching a place where the smallest item cannot be overlooked. I started looking at every parasitic load the car and drive train part I could improve in anyway I could. No bearing or seal was over looked I can guarantee you. It was all because of the restrictions of the class chosen. For Johns pickup class the NOW allow frame production modifications are a godsend to what was once allowed or what was not allowed. I applaud his thinking and tenacity; he has a goal and will attain it I believe because of his determination.

Keep up the good work…….

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Stogy, Just Gary, fegsta and 4 others like this.
  4. Shucks they sent me the wrong bearings and I never looked at them before sending them to Calico. I would send them back but have to much in having them coated
    I'll keep them for future use so I'll start looking for another set in .010 under.
    Getting hard to find bearings for the 262 Ford L6 engine

5. Thank you Jimmy six, if it was easy everyone would do it lol. I'll keep after it as long as I can afford it.
    Never thought it would cost so much to race Land Speed.
    Got to get after funding for 2022 as we want to run ECTA standing mile and SCTA speed week at Bonneville.

6. I have been building a flathead V8 for a client that the profit will go to the X0/PP 640 project funding.
    About 1/2 of what we need to get to Bonneville 2022 speed week and the ECTA standing mile at Blythville Arkansas in April.
    It's a good start..

Stogy, fegsta, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. Mullen, let me just say that I wish you and your crew good luck with your endeavor. I hope you achieve if not surpass your expectations ( give ‘em hell that is, send ‘em back ta mama)

Stogy, old flopper, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  8. fegsta

fegsta

Wish I could help John but I lost a load of money last year. But if there's any chance of me getting out there in August, you can count on me buying a bunch of t shirts.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  9. Thanks man hope to see you there

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Sorry guys I haven't posted lately, waiting for parts to the engine got the new bearings today and shipped them to Calico Coatings 6 to 10 day turn around..

11. Jimmy is doing flow testing on the head today. Looks pretty good 207 CFM at
    .600 lift and just a little less on the siamesed runners of cylinders 1 and 2 and 5 and 6. The exhaust is over 85 percent of the intakes (way to much)
    Therefor a need in cam corrections. I'll post on this once I have more data

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Stogy, chryslerfan55, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  12. 20220201_143717.jpg 20220201_144215.jpg A little fab work today on the panels to cover the C notchs

13. 53 mercury flathead build , profits go to fund the 640 project. Should be able to run it in soon. Parts for some reason take a long time to get them now days 20220201_144232.jpg

14. More c Notch cover panels fabricated today and taked 20220203_153943.jpg 20220203_153950.jpg in

Stogy, D-Russ, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. Next I'll forn the cover to the bed floor and seal it all up and get it painted

Stogy, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  16. Top notch John! When is ECTA?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

John, I could use a t-shirt (or two). Or maybe a cap? What are you planning for fund raising this year?

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. April 22 23 24

19. Been so busy working on the truck that I haven't had much thought about fund raising other than the flathead engine build currently being done.
    Have some shirts from 2021 in limited sizes.
    What's your size needs

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Shirt size is XL. (Probably the size that sells out first, LOL)

21. I'll check and get back to you

Stogy, loudbang and kevinrevin like this.
  22. Thank you Ted Tallent for your continued support of Team 640 . It seams like when we don't see the light at the end of the tunnel friends like you show us the way. Can't begin to find words to thank you enough

23. Hot dang the bearings got back from Calico today. Awesome job as always.
    Now I can start the engine assembly process..

24. It don't get better than this
    Calico Coatings 20220208_090419.jpg

25. Checked out bearing clearance yesterday on rods and mains, all looked perfect. Will stare engine assembly today. ( finally )

26. Short block assembled today now it's back to weighting.. having a camshaft ground at Camcraft..

27. Did a little more port work on the head today cylinders 1&2 & 5&6 were not as good as cylinders 3&4 looking much better now.

28. The work day today was interesting. We bench raced and threw ideas back and forth. We then went to the shop and did some cosmetic repairs to the truck. Still waiting on the cam so the engine is on hold.
    I had to leave at noon to attend a family function but the crew stayed and got things done.
    Thank you Lee Pollard, Dave Russell and Scott Robertson for staying, Your dedication to the project is much appreciated.
    Thank you guys you are the best

29. Contacted the cam grinder today for an update. Cam is still in design status and will likely get ground late next week then it has to be parkerized, inspected and then shipped.
    Looks like mid March delivery.
    All I can do is hurry up and wait. Oh well what's a few more days...

30. Little more work in the bed the crew did last Saturday getting ready to connect the rear shocks 20220222_153550.jpg