Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why use sophisticated tools when.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeepsterhemi, Jan 19, 2018.

1. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

B228E788-1312-479C-9F04-D030A822E112.jpeg
    I would not be afraid of using a telephone pole to pull a big block .

This is one of the crazy ways I done things by my self , having 32 steel body for two weeks setting on 4 pole jacks ,
    I have used many methods to pull engines ,
    One time a compleat 427 tall deck out of A bandit C60 Chevy a Seesaw method ,
    Stacked rims & drums & used 2 by 10s , All so one time used a dump truck bed , raise bed used bed rail with 4x4 , lower to raise engine, a many of trees branches, used poles , 2x4s one person on each side lift engines in & out,
    Van motors thew in side of cabs , used fan belts , ropes , Mechanics wire,
    Also used ratchet straps/ ropes around frame & under engine to mock up motor mounts ,, If you wanted it bad enough you will figure a way to do it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And that's the truth.;)

3. Budget36

Budget36

You know, at the time I was concerned about busting up the rafter and having is dad chew our asses out.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I’m glad no one was around with a cellphone when I pulled the engine and transmission out of my daughters Camaro.
    I didn’t have enough reach with my cherry picker, so welded on some box tubing to extend it.
    I could stand on the back of the cherry picker and had enough ballast to to keep it from nosing over.
    But when I put a foot down to scoot it back, ballast was lost

Had my kid ( all 115 pounds of her) stand on the back of the picker, me with one leg between hers, other leg used to scoot it all out. Longest 8-10 feet I ever did.

Here’s the good part, when she was about 5 or 6, she watched me pull the 400 out of my dads Pete with a stinger on the fork lift.

When we got done with getting hers out, I was having a beer and she asked me why didn’t we just use the forklift like on Grandpas truck?

I didn’t have an answer.

cfmvw, MBog, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  5. When I was in my teens me and some buddies pulled the engine out of my 69 nova. Come a long on the garage rafter. The rafter was not enough to hold the engine and I did not have anything as far as lumber to brace it up. We had woods behind the house, so I cut two trees down and used them to reinforce the roof rafter. Glad my parents were not home at the time.:eek:

6. adam401

adam401

Thats an awesome picture. Reminds me of when I was a kid in the 80s we had a chain hanging from an oak tree in the yard. This was like a nicely maintained yard in the suburbs and that chain was the engine pulling chain. My Dad would hang a chainfall on it and yank engines out. The neighbors would bring their cars over and pull engines out with it. Funny looking back at that now haha. I forgot all about that till seeing this thread. It seemed totally normal back then. Times were different

7. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Why use lot of word when few word do trick?

8. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

9. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I don't have a picture of it doing an engine. There have been several.
    JFC453.jpg
    Tractor has "Power Shift", (no clutch 3-2-1-N-R), "Creeper" gear, (at 2500rpm you have to look to see it moving), and pretty tight 3 point hydraulics. You put a little brake on, stand next to it and run it in and out with the shifter and up and down with the three point. Inching is no problem. I probably have 3 other ways of doing it, (including a branch), I like the tractor. I first did it with an 8N. It sucked for this though. No hydraulic finesse or clutch-less shifting there :) Mike

10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

""Do NOT STAND ON TOP STEP""

11. RmK57

RmK57

Was he underneath it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Gabby

Gabby

The county I live in was having junk cars towed to the county dump with the help of the U.S. army around 1972/73. A friend of mine had spotted a chevy with a 327 that wanted me to help him pull. The only way was pure muscle. Someone had tried but given up. The motor was loose and sitting in the frame. We pulled the intake and and one head. I was able to roll the motor up the fender well and off the fender onto the ground. We removed the other head and the crank, put a drive shaft in the rod journals and thru it on our shoulder and walked out of there.

fauj, MBog, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  13. While I'm no stranger to sketchy engine removals, I wouldn't want to try pulling an iron big block chevy with that contraption. At least on my car!

When we were young teenagers a buddy of mine wanted to remove the leaning tower of power from his Dad's old Plymouth that was scheduled for a trip to the crusher. No engine hoist available and we didn't have driver's licenses yet to go rent one. What my buddy did have available though was a length of heavy chain and an old Cadillac. Once the slant 6 was unbolted the Plymouth's front bumper was removed, the radiator cross brace was hack sawed out and then we were ready to go. The chain was wrapped around the slant 6 at one end and the other end, after a good bit of slack, was affixed to the Cadillac's frame/bumper. When he punched it in that Caddy that little Plymouth 6 came shooting out of the engine well like a guided missile, a good 6 feet in the air before crashing to the ground. We were legends for a few days.

lostone, indyjps, das858 and 8 others like this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

60 Chevy convertible, cast iron PG. 2x6 over a cinder block. Leave the converter bolted in so dad will have something to yell about.

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

The first hoist I used was not an engine hoist but a outboard motor hoist (home made), like a engine hoist but with short legs. If you wanted to lift a big block or engine and trans. Together you need to have a bubby or 2 stand on the hoist for counter balance. A small block was iffy at best when you hit a bump. I think I had to change 2 different oil pan after dropping engines, good thing I was young and had cat like reflexes. Lol

jeepsterhemi and das858 like this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm a "true believer" in that statement, and I have a lot of things that I have built rather than just "as the saying goes" .......Wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which hand gets full quicker. I admire ingenuity and work ethic.

That said, I would never do what you did in that picture. Just too dangerous. You could have destroyed that coupe body.:)

What I would suggest is putting a beam across the top of your lift uprights and using the four supports after you got it raised. Or use your lift to build an overhead crane. We did that at my sons and it works well. You can even put two trolleys on and lift and tilt things for better/easier access.
    If you want it.jpeg

Not knocking your philosphy, but I think there are better solutions.

If you want it.jpeg Matts Ctane.JPG

Here is a picture of one of the cranes I built in my shop holding a 56 Chevy body. I tilted it up so that its easier for me to work on replacing the hinge pockets and filling firewall holes. Lots of ways to utilize these cranes to make work easier.........and safer.:)
    DSCN4851.JPG
    Hinge Pocket repairs 1.jpg
    DSCN4853.JPG
    Sept 11 069.JPG
    And..........an overhead crane takes up almost no floor space;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Gasser 57 and fauj like this.
  17. cfmvw

cfmvw

Somebody put a lot of thought into that one. What could possibly go wrong?

18. mickeyc

mickeyc

I find chain falls to give the best control when handling
    in tight confines, like an engine bay. Although the pull
    chain can be cumbersome and must be managed to
    protect paint or windshields ect. In my many years
    of heavy rigging in various venues they were used to
    handle equipment and materials precisely and safely.
    I have worked with a crew using 4 individual falls
    attached to a component of a nuclear reactor cooling
    pump to break it free of its base prior to crane lifting.
    Each chain fall was rated for 35 tons and had a digital
    read out gauge to ensure load weight control. An interesting
    process to be involved with. I bought a vintage chain fall
    with a patent date of 1903 and a Ford Company logo
    cast into the housing. It is rated at 1 1/2 tons. This
    device is the smoothest running fall I have ever used.
    I dont know the exact date it was manufactured or if
    the company that built it was the Ford Motor Company
    or another Ford entity? I do think it may well be over a
    hundred years old. The unit works superbly and I
    have no qualms about using it for lifting motors
    and such.

jeepsterhemi, ekimneirbo and vtx1800 like this.
  19. X-cpe

X-cpe

As we age, it is amazing how important "work on easier" becomes.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The late great Roy Montgomery told me that when he was a young man, he'd lean a Model A up against a tree to remove the engine.

stanlow69 likes this.