Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Drag Week 2022

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Jan 14, 2022.

1. spanners

spanners

Plus be able to stink out a motel bathroom.

2. I will have my track helper- trunk monkey. He likes to be called a crew chief, but he is the only crew, besides me. :rolleyes: But thanks for the offer.:)

3. Now I have to get the car ready and not break shit during the spring- summer.:eek:

4. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kinda figured, but just in case you find yourself alone. Would be something I would otherwise not get to do. Maybe when I get my hot rod done I can tag along in it.
    Cant wait to hear the tales of the trunk monkey.

loudbang, Hemi Joel and mad mikey like this.
  5. If I get in this year, and crew chief backs out I will hit you up. It takes a lot of planning, everything going right and a total commitment to do Drag Week.

6. squirrel

squirrel

understatement of the year

racer-x, winduptoy, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  7. swifty

swifty

Hey Joel is it possible to get your Trunk Monkey to finish his story of your 2021 adventure before 2022 starts?
    I thoroughly enjoyed what he wrote and would like to read about your last 2 days.

Budget36, 301/roadster, Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I've pestered him about it a little bit. He'll finish it, but it might be a while. He doesn't have an internet connection at home, so he has to do it when he's at work. He can only work on it when they're not busy. And they've been busy lately.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Writing those stories is difficult....Billy used to do a great job, but he was a year and a half behind when he passed, I think.

I sure don't have the gumption to do it, with the detail that it deserves.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Trunk Monkey Tales " Now there's a hell of good thread title

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Well, it won't be the Hemi truck, found out at PRI that my finished billet crank for the motor was cracked. I am so sick of this motor, I will NEVER buy used parts again. I am working on another 340 for my truckso same one again .

Tony

12. Jim, any chance you'll have the Baracuda going for this year? I know there are a number of us that would really like to see it in action.

SS327 and loudbang like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know. I haven't been working on it....

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Hemi Squirrel, what's left to do on it?

15. squirrel

squirrel

oh....get the new cam broke in, change the springs, get the timing squared away, swap the rear gears, new harness (dates), figure out how to get some 'glass fenders made, figure out how to get the hood modified to fit, find some front springs, figure out the paint..and most important, get it running right, and some passes at the strip.

I've just lost interest. You might have experienced the same thing on one or two of your cars, over the years.

16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

It happens. The question then is to whether wait for inspiration to return or to part ways with it.

loudbang likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't mind parting ways....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

Registration for Drag Week 2022 is now open for those who finished in the top 3 in their class last year. I'm one of the lucky ones who was in a class with only 3 cars, so my last place finish counts!

Everyone else will probably get to sign up around March 5th, or something. They'll probably announce it ahead of time.

proof.jpg

19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! I´ll be watching from here.

mad mikey, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  20. low down A

low down A

hate to hear that being a mopar guy i really like that car

loudbang likes this.
  21. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

22. egads

egads

NEW TRACKS-------St Louis--Indy--Byron--Cordova-- St Louis.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Just Gary likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Considering the surprise closing of Memphis, I'm thankful they pulled this off. I'm sure it was a crazy thrash. I was looking forward to adding 3 new tracks to my list of tracks raced at, as I have not yet raced at Bowling Green, Memphis, or Steele. I have raced at all the new tracks, so my list will be static. Oh well, at least we are racing!

stillrunners and mad mikey like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

yup, they're staying ahead of the situation as well as they can.

I've raced at BG and Memphis in 2013....

26. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

See you in St. Louis.

27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I got all my room reservations changed. That took a few hours. I always make sure that my reservations are cancellable without a penalty, just in case.

28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The thrash for Drag Week 2022 has officially begun! After completing DW2021, the poor Hemicoupe has sat neglected for 11 months. I checked the valve springs, did a leak down test, pulled the tops off of all the carburetors and cleaned the needle and seat and checked the bowls for debris, put in new plugs, distributor cap and rotor, drained the fuel and flushed out the lines, added fresh gas and fired it up.
    Also, I figured out that the reason the car was going slower each day at drag week last year was because the throttle arms on the main cross shaft of the carb linkage were slipping on the shaft so I was getting a little bit less throttle each day. So my son Cam made me up some new throttle arms that are much wider where they clamp onto the cross shaft of the linkage and have two clamping screws on each instead of just one. I also knurled the shaft in the areas where the arms clamp on.
    The plan is to do some dyno testing and get the a/f ratio dialed in for each cylinder, learn where and what the peak HP is. Then dyno test a dual quad intake, and a short runner 8 carb Arias intake. Then make some test passes at the track to work on dialing in the chassis. Time is short, not sure how much I'll actually accomplish.

We made 2 check out pulls today from 4000 to 6000 RPM, but there was a little bit of confusion between the driver and the dyno operator regarding when I should mat the gas pedal and when I should let off. Then I got a phone call about a family emergency so we had to quit for the day. Hopefully we'll be back dino testing pretty soon. Click on the link for a short video. PXL_20220827_183308297~2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    winr, greasemonkey54, Gotgas and 10 others like this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Nice dyno run, when can I bring my truck up? If I get my parts like I think I should most are here already, I will be putting my truck together Labor day weekend.

Tony

mad mikey likes this.
  30. Sounds excellent Joel.:)