Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 261 Chevy hydraulic valve lifters??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mciron, Jan 14, 2022.

1. mciron

mciron

I am totally unable to find hydraulic valve lifters for my 1955 Pontiac 261 6 cylinder engine. Does anyone have reliable information as to whether 235 engines use the same lifters? Where can I get a set of 12 and do the V8 lifters work? Lots of V8 lifters available.

2. Recently I read that a 261 was a stroked 235. If that is true, the lifters might be the same. Time to get out your micrometer and calipers and start measuring.

3. Lifters are the same .

I got mine through egge machine when I built my 261

Contact Mississauga engines or R &D engines in Oakville they can help you.

If your looking specifically for Pontiac 261 lifters you won’t find them as that engine was only offered in Canada as a “ premium “ engine for Canadian Pontiac’s

irishsteve and Bob Lowry like this.
  4. donsz

donsz

5. mciron

mciron

Thanks for the info, seems to be a gray area from parts suppliers, especially for Canadian Pontiacs.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I thought on a chevy 261, the block had to be machined for hydraulics. Lippy

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I see that all 58-62 lifter passages were drilled. I also read all Canadian engines were hydraulics , no solids.