Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Door Latch or Just Old Junk?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ulu, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

These are the door latches that are on my project car. I’d like to know what they came from, because clearly they weren’t manufactured just for this car.
    C82388D7-861E-4530-9734-9E2400BB20C9.jpeg
    If they were put on the car when it was first assembled they are at least 40 years old. I don’t want to just toss them if they have any value other than just as a common gate latch.

Whatever they are, They are not old or sloppy. This carwas never driven much after it was built.

2. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

I am guessing it was a generic latch used on all sorts of things. My grandpa’s ‘56 travel trailer has the same latch and I saw the one on an old logging high lead last summer

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Universal type latch. Could have been used on horse drawn carriages too.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the latch on the 1975 800 Versitile tractor door Dad has

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Thanks guys. I am not an old Ford guy, but I thought it might go back to the model-T days.

6. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

I believe Austin hardware still has them available or very similar anyway.

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

My intention is to replace them with something more attractive and purpose-built, as opposed to this thing that looks like it belongs on a barn.

I don’t need exterior door handles, as this is a roadster. It doesn’t need latches go click click either. I will probably build something positive that holds the doors closed until the car rips apart.

8. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

It's a unveral latch that fits about anything. Used a lot on heavy equipment. My Ford backhoes used them. They're still available from several antique auto parts dealers, large hardware stores, tractor dealers, etc. Simple and rugged.

VANDENPLAS likes this.