Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally Going to Build a Traditional Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Robbie Horn, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Been a member here 13 years today. This one will be Hamb Friendly. Going to soup up the banger a bit, clean things up & straighten it out. 138ACCA2-6283-4B11-9A49-CF9EB0FA841F.jpeg 117A0818-B96D-4640-B25C-FF6B9D811BF4.jpeg 138ACCA2-6283-4B11-9A49-CF9EB0FA841F.jpeg 6FF63226-034D-486D-B120-9624719E584F.jpeg 117A0818-B96D-4640-B25C-FF6B9D811BF4.jpeg 138ACCA2-6283-4B11-9A49-CF9EB0FA841F.jpeg

WC145, Blues4U, Okie Pete and 35 others like this.
  2. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

WoW, good for you. I will be listening. Good Luck.
    Stretch

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That's a sweet coupe.

4. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Major accomplishment tonight. Engine was stuck. Filled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil, some that I have had for about 30 years or so that was in a metal can. I think it was different in the metal can before they started using plastic bottles. Probably had some real good carcinogens in it that got left out of the newer stuff. After just 24 hours I was able to turn the engine by hand like it had never been stuck. Went through a couple cans of PB Blaster on just about everything on the car. Be great if I could fill a small swimming pool with PB & soak the car in it for a few days.

Blues4U, Steves46, winduptoy and 12 others like this.

5. ..........Hmmmm, now there's an idea.:D;)

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i liked P B Blaster...
    till i tried sili-kroil... now called aero -kroil...
    sprayed a little on [6] rusty '33 dash to cowl screws,
    5 of 6 came out with just a screwdriver, the other had its slot rusted to a nub...

7. 30 -31 cowl? Complete rumble seat A coupe is a great starting point!

8. brady1929

brady1929

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another "15 minute" project - enjoy the ride

loudbang, Robbie Horn and mad mikey like this.
  10. Very cool project. Enjoy.:)

11. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Got started with the tear down. I’m going to need a gas tank. If anyone sees one for a 30-31 please let me know. Where’s the best place to get some replacement pre shaped floors pans?Need piece behind front seat & under rumble seat. Also going to need rear wheel wells. The wooden seat front seat frame is in excellent condition & both front & rumble springs are reusable. I will go back with the factory seats. What covering is acceptable for a traditional hot rod? I’m going to use the banger but soup it up. Want to get a crankshaft with counterweight or put them on the one that is in it & have the engine balanced. Would also like to have inserts if that would be traditional also. I have a lot to learn about building a traditional rod but I’m at the right place to get the information that I needed to do one. BC47994B-670D-43F6-8EC4-E0B115FF3ADA.jpeg 063EC224-736D-4363-8926-31BD964268D3.jpeg 34F61FA1-4890-46CC-BCCF-076CB8709E32.jpeg 7D44CD42-E924-4AAD-B037-F115B3735145.jpeg 024339A0-0741-4883-B8E1-8C071E8DFEBD.jpeg 876A8F88-22D6-4042-AB59-192B9F75A306.jpeg

Tim, Okie Pete, Vic Walter and 4 others like this.
  12. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

For the banger, get a HC head and a Mitchell OD!

loudbang and Robbie Horn like this.
  13. Congratulations, looking forward to following your progress. HRP

loudbang and Robbie Horn like this.
  14. What part of the Country are you in? I have a good solid tank. If you want to save some time and have a Kick Ass banger. I have one with a Drake overhead conversion and Hilborn injection. It will get you to town in a hurry. Live wet and ready to go. Matter of fact it set a L.S.R. in stock body Model A. It already has a balanced crank and insert rods. I think you may need to split the wishbone to get the header in.
    20210429_141836.jpg
    20210429_142436.jpg 20210429_144035.jpg

WC145, Tim, anothercarguy and 14 others like this.
  15. Nobey

Nobey

That's a good start and best of luck to you. Have you checked out Joey's thread, Building my first roadster in
    San Francisco? Lot of helpful stuff there.....

loudbang likes this.
  16. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

I think I found a gas tank. Also another 31 coupe chassis with a good running gear. This guy bought a running 31 Ford Coupe & is having a aftermarket chassis built for it. He also said he has a set of 16 inch factory spoke Ford wheels with new tires. It's going to be about a 900 mile round trip this Saturday but I'm going to go get it all. Everything on my chassis is wore out. I'm going to disassemble all of it. The king pins are loose in the axle & I'm suspecting the king pin holes are wore out in the axle. No big concern there because axles are easy to come by & they can be repaired also.The batwings are shot, bushings wore out & they kept driving it. People had to drive with wore out parts back then because money was scarce. My Dad & Grandfather told me plenty of depression stories but that's a whole other topic so I'm going to stay focused on the coupe. The speedometer shows 81,000 miles. My car doesn't looked like it was ever in a wreck so I'm thinking it was driven until it wouldn't go anymore. The roof was filled in with galvanized metal that looks like it was some kind of old water tank or feed trough. Whoever did it screwed it on with metal screws then leaded around it. Personally I think they did a good job. There wasn't no bondo back then.It has a seam in it but it is off center from the body center line. I'm going to paint it flat black & it isn't going to be a trophy winning show car so I might just leave it that way for now. In my opinion it will give it some character.Not bragging but I'm capable of welding in a 1 piece roof or replacing the wood & going back with a soft top. I'm one of those people that does almost everything myself that I can do in my messy shop. If this other chassis is a runner that will make getting it on the road a lot faster. It's going to take me some time to gather parts & get machine work done to build a good engine. Model a roof 2.jpg Model a roof 3.jpg model a roof 4.jpg model a roof 6.jpg Model a roof5.jpg modela roof 1.jpg

Blues4U, Tim, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Finally". I hear you.
    Happy for you.
    Bangers aren't traditional.
    They're ULTRA-traditional! :)
    Good luck with everything.

18. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Super neat score!

Robbie Horn and loudbang like this.
  19. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

I'm still droolin on the Drake!

20. Budget36

Budget36

Still has the step for the rumble seat too.
    Have fun with it!

21. atomicglowman

atomicglowman

You can find every single thing you will ever need from "Snyders"...ask for their catalog...

22. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Got a good gas tank!!! And a good spare gas tank!! And a better dash than what I have. Also a better than what I have chassis. Plus it has juice brakes. Also some nice wheels & tires.Going to clean it up & make a few changes. Very nice man that sold me the parts. He is building a 31 Model A street rod & having a chassis built & this is some of his leftovers. I swapped him my rusted out tank for his good one. He definitely a good car guy because he didn’t want to cut the bottom out of a good A tank. He was looking for someone like me that he could swap tanks with. I asked him if he ever got on the Hamb & he didn’t know anything about it. I helped him set up a user account so if y’all see Dan Estes on here please welcome him aboard. He has some very nice rides in his stable. Thanks again Dan if you see this! 0204F644-971A-40A6-8E7A-E8E3B3DFA705.jpeg 2E79672E-A760-46D6-8BFA-E534C036B6FA.jpeg 13BE6C94-9AA7-4C60-ACD1-13DB025D0DBD.jpeg 2CB8F0B1-E5F7-47F7-A5BB-0618CBE484AB.jpeg 9417423C-3E26-4C7D-862D-20D9FC27D25A.jpeg 9617B846-4858-4594-A085-FCB059341237.jpeg 2EE0458B-6698-4793-BE05-7678B22E2089.jpeg 23C9827B-9DEF-47FF-AAEA-0C814B6BA894.jpeg

WC145, Blues4U, Tim and 8 others like this.
  23. A good one of those little stock Amp gauges are getting hard to come by when you need one. Any good watch repair shop can change the Glass for ya.

loudbang, Robbie Horn and dana barlow like this.
  24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very cool.

My coupe still has the insert on the roof that was leaded in back in the day.

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Welcome. I started with something very close in condition to yours... Look forward to seeing another Banger hotrod here in Texas...

26. Great starting point and congrats on the car and spares. Just an FYI... Model A serial numbers (NOT VIN numbers as a lot of people refer to them) were stamped on the frame (top flange, in the area of the steering gear) as well as on a pad on the driver's side of the engine block. To avoid title/registration issues, you may want to double check to see if your existing engine and frame are 'numbers matching', as well as what is on the old registration/title. It may be wise to consider using your old frame and transferring the 'good stuff' to it. Engine swaps were common, so non-matching engine/frames are common, but check out your state laws/requirements before you get too deep, and... GET IT TITLED IN YOUR NAME before you invest too much time and money!
    Good luck and have fun with your new project! Model A's are great little cars, and a ton of fun!

Blues4U likes this.
  27. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Thanks 28 phonebooth for the info. When I read this I went out to the shop & looked on the frame by the steering box. I brushed it with a wire brush but didn't find any numbers. It came with a good clear blue Texas title that the previous owner had transferred it to his name. I still need to put it in my name but there is no rush since we didn't put a sales date on anything.It's tiltled as a 1931 Ford with the factory VIN & that VIN matches the number on the engine block. I'm hoping that it is all numbers matching. I haven't got the body off to see if the frame matches up yet. I probably won't use or hot rod the factory engine because I wouldn't want to hurt it beyond repair. I already have a "runner" to get it going with. I really like that Drake that Pist-n-Broke shared on here but don't think I need to go that far out since this is my first banger job. I'm going to acquire a couple more A engines. After 42 years of drag racing , & at the level I've been doing it, I'm used to spending large amounts of money on go fast goodies. Just to set the record straight I'm not rich but I have a good job & am working past my retirement date of last November to build this one. Already got my eyes on the counter balanced crankshafts & overhead cam heads. Someone please tell me if after market cranks & heads are traditional. I have my drag car for sale & when it sells I'm going to get some good Model A stuff.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  28. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

After some serious contemplating I realized that to do this right I need to replace the header wood behind the windshield & probably all the roof wood. To do this the visor & windshield has to be removed.So I got out the can opener & removed the home made galvanized screwed & leaded on roof filler panel. I'm going back with a factory vinyl or what ever that stuff is soft roof. It gets hot down here in Texas & this one will never have a ac & a metal roof makes them more oven like in the summertime. I will be driving this thing on the streets ( and on the drag strip,going to see how fast it is), it's not going to be a trailer queen. I got the rear fenders off & the running boards off. Thanks again PB Blaster. The running boards look like they can be reused. Instead of straightening out my fenders I'm looking for someone that is building a fender less creation & has a nice set of steel fenders up for sale & latch onto them. I also test fit the new to me 901 miles, one day round trip gas tank I acquired this week. looks like it fits pretty good. If everything goes right I should have it ready to start sandblasting this weekend, weather permitting. Model a 7.jpg Model a 8.jpg model a 9.jpg model a 11.jpg model a 12.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Okie Pete, Vic Walter, CC-Mo and 5 others like this.
  29. B or C bottom end and Ed Winfield Head, Cam, and Carb(s) and you'll be set. JW