Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone got any tips on identifying "Big Wheels"?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by loudbang, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudbang

loudbang

I keep getting photos deleted for "large diameter wheels". I am trying not to post them but the ones I post "LOOK" like all the other thousands of ones that made the cut.

Does anyone have any tips and how to tell the diameter of wheels by looking at a photo?

The offensive ones looked to me to be the same brand/make as are normally OK and it seems only the SIZE makes them OT. But I can not make out the size of the tires in photos as the lettering is too small so how can one tell the difference?

2. Are you posting from a small smart phone or a large screen PC ? I certainly don,t doubt your knowledge. Are,nt those offensive wheels allways fitted with real low-profile flat tires :D ?

3. loudbang

loudbang

No from a PC with large screen. Yea I figured out the small sidewall thing and the latest ones have had normal looking size sidewalls not small short tires.

4. loudbang

loudbang

From what I can determine it's not the "style" (too new types) of the offending wheels just the diameter and that is where I have trouble determining the size.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I had some pics clipped like that, one was for sure borderline, but the others were 15" tires, I know, I looked at them when I took the pic. I never said anything, just took it as an "editorial decision" and let it go.

I can see the rubber band tires being deleted, I hate those things myself, but some others are so close I can't tell, like 16" instead of 15". Just glad I don't have to make that decision....

210superair and loudbang like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here are 3 pics posted in the longroof thread by @loudbang . It should be very obvious that these do not belong, you can tell by just looking at them that they are too big around. Big inch wheels along with centerlines, weld pro stars and any tubbed pro street are off topic even if they are 15 inch. think 1965.... View attachment 5290154 View attachment 5290155 View attachment 5290156

54delray likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Maybe it is easy for you but to me they look like the same brand, type, I see daily what separates these from the others. That is what I am trying to determine so I won't post incorrectly.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Really?? Those 3 that I picked are so obvious that it is easy to tell. Why can’t you see it??

54delray likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Nevermind you can close this now

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

a normal tire is almost 30 inches tall. So a 15” wheel should be about half the tires height. Those three that you posted the wheels are far more than half the tire. This is easy....

54delray likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The ones on the black 57 look big, the others not so much, maybe 16’s? All three have short, no sidewall tires. A taller sidewall tire would make a lot of difference......

Glad I don’t have to make the decisions on what to cut....

Wait, 30” tall? Tires on my car are 27” and 25”, 15” wheels.
    30” tall sounds like truck tires.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was just using round numbers as an example. Tires are more like 27”. The above cars all have at least 18” wheels and are off topic. I was merely trying to say that if the wheel is more than half the height of the tire not to post it

54delray likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’m not a fan of anything over 15”, maybe a few 16”. I like a fat sidewall tire, not a rubber band, lol!

mickeback65 and Moriarity like this.
  14. twenty8

twenty8

I would happily own any of those three wagons, especially the black one...:cool:
    Yes, I would change the wheels and tires, but the actual cars themselves are a credit to the builders/owners.

15. Those curved spoke are all the rage. I don't see how they make the cut.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am closing this and deleting the pictures. It pained me to post them in the first place. The bottom line is if you can't tell the difference or just plain don't care then maybe the Hamb is not for you. The difference in wheel diameter is obvious and if a few pics get in then everybody thinks it is ok, and before you know it the whole place is over run with crappy street rods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.