Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

2. Great stuff lippy. Was there a big ET difference between your alky/nitro setups?

Deuces, 65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Not with an alky engine. Ideally we should have been at about 11 to 1 static comp. for an Inj nitro deal. Then we could have put some percentage and a little more volume in it. It was a spur of the moment deal to change classes. :D I give all the credit to my brother. He had been running nitro stuff forever. I was the guy who mashed the pedal. Yes it could have really hauled butt , but with a high static comp, we just couldn't do any more and come home with any engine parts in one piece. We were after the money. :D Brett Kepner was announcing and said...what is that a FORD in that dragster?? LOL :D

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

6. old flopper

old flopper

:D I understand the spark plug deal, didn’t want to run them lean. When running new combination on high percentage of Nitro in blown engine, not sure if combination was going to be learn or not, we’d run Autolite plugs first couple of runs because they would burn away before pistons melted, when we got right AFR correct we’d switch back to Champion that won’t melt before pistons melted, because we were getting them free from manufacture at that particular time.

I ran car in my avatar, 426 Hemi 11.5 to 1 CR with Hilborn straight tube injection on 80% Nitro and a 3 speed heavy modified TorqueFlite. The thing I first noticed from Nitro in that car was lack power power curve with RPMs. It had full horse power when it first left the line and didn't change thru the entire run, at gear shifts only thing noticed was sound of RPM changes and some times a little wheel spin.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Flopper, sounds like it needed a high speed to take fuel away upstairs. Lippy

Deuces, mad mikey, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  8. Red Case one more time...
    [​IMG]

9. old flopper

old flopper

With the blown car I had a high speed bypass block that relieved at 70 psi with a changeable jet (I called pill) to fine tune at mid and higher RPMs, problem wasn’t running rich it was when we changed to a completely new combination (blower, injector hat, barrel valve and jetting), we always ran chance of running lean and melting pistons on first couple runs before getting jetting etc. correct for that combination. By accident we discovered that the Autolite plugs would melt before the pistons, so that’s why we ran those plugs first couple runs.

10. hipojoe

hipojoe

That takes the cake for the most DANGEROUS allowable race vehicle... To crawl in, or on- HOLY COW!

11. noboD

noboD

Somehow it looks a lot safer with the body.

deadbeat, 65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Why does Goldie Hawn come to mind :D

bchctybob, Deuces, deadbeat and 5 others like this.
  13. XXL__

XXL__

This race is not even gonna be close.

14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lemme look it up in my Funk & Wagnal... :D

15. loudbang

loudbang

Sock it to me :)

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Big turned 90 on 1/14/2022. Happy Birthday Mr. Garlits. C1A81606-6E09-422A-8070-CD7DE2409700.jpeg

Pete L., bchctybob, das858 and 15 others like this.
  17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ