Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear Main 1st Gen 392 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparjack44, Dec 30, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The PCV valve and hose to the carburetor is how air, oil mist, etc. gets out of the engine.

Air needs to get into the engine from somewhere to replace the air pulled out. If your engine is otherwise sealed the system won't work.

Do you have a vented oil cap?

Can you post some pictures?

loudbang likes this.
  2. 73RR

73RR

The idea of a PCV valve is to pull air across the largest cross-sectional area of the engine. A good example is having the oil fill/breather on one valve cover and the pcv on the opposite v.c.
    On an EarlyHemi, it is common to put the pcv where the road draft tube mounts and that works well on Dodge-DeSoto and early 331 with the oem cast front cover since the cover has the oil fill tube. This causes the air to travel down into the crankcase before it is removed at a higher elevation in the valley cover.
    If you use some sort of flat plate for the valley cover, and use it for both oil fill and pcv the the air travels all of 12" before it gets sucked out...not so good.
    If you put a pcv low in the engine, oil pan? then you will suck in alot of oil.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a fully closed system:
    [​IMG]
    Air is drawn into the engine from the "clean-side" of the engine air cleaner. It then passes through the engine, picking up and carrying away unwanted funk, and sending it into the engine to be burned.

Clean air has to go in, not just out. If air cannot get in, in cannot get out.

One variation on the above system does not pull air from the engine air filter housing, but through a filtered breather cap, on a valve cover, or fill tube, etc. That works the same way. It just cuts down on hoses/clutter. It is still a closed system.

73RR likes this.
  4. moparjack44

moparjack44

OK, this is getting over my pay grade.

1. I have the basic PCV going thru a moon eyes breather on the valve cover, to the port on my rear carb. To my knowledge, in '58 there were no PCV systems as we know them today?
    2. Oil cap is also Moon with breather cap.
    3. Both carbs have open K&N filters.

??????
    Jack.

5. moparjack44

moparjack44

I do have breather/vinted Moon oil filler cap.
    Unable to get pictures right now, car is in body shop. If pictures help, I can probably go to body shop and take pictures. Posting them is another thing, not to computer savy.

6. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yes pictures please

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Has anybody used a Best Gasket 3A07 seal?

8. moparjack44

moparjack44

Try to get to body shop tomorrow and get pictures.

9. moparjack44

moparjack44

Yes, my seal from Hot Heads is Best 3A07.
    The instructions says not specific for 392 Hemi, but implys closest thing out there??
    Jack

10. moparjack44

moparjack44

I now have pictures. Can someone tell me how to post them here?
    Jack

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Start a new message.

Tap or click on the button between Post Reply and More Options... marked Upload a File.

That will bring up the file browser on whatever platform you are using. Find the file and click ok.

That will upload it. Repeat as necessary.

Once they are all up, you will see the choice to have the full image, or a thumbnail. Choose full image.
    Screenshot_20220113-144140.png

12. moparjack44

moparjack44

OK.
    The pictures are on my phone (Android). So I reckon I need to transfer them to my computer. Sorry, but at 77 years old, I am very computer challenged. Any way you can help me transfer pictures fron my phone to my laptop?
    Jack

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can upload from a phone. It is much the same.

Click on Upload a File. That should bring up the option to use the camera for a photo or video, or Files. Choose files.

It should default to showing you the most recent files, which should be the pictures you just took.

Click on one. It will upload automatically. PXL_20220113_233053652.jpg

Once it is up, it will show under the message box. It will say Thumbnail, Full Image, and Delete. Choose Full Image.
    Screenshot_20220113-162534.png

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ignore my 4-71 core. I was demonstrating the process on an Android phone.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. moparjack44

moparjack44

These are not the pictures. They are of my engine, but before I added my PCV. Do not think these pictures would be of any help or relvance.
    Another possible issue of my pictures I want to share. They were taken by man at the body shop, then text to me. The pictures are in my text messages. Can I do anything from my text message to get the pictures on this thread. So Sorry for being so much trouble.
    Jack

17. moparjack44

moparjack44

Not. See my most recent above post of about 2 minutes ago.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go into your text message. Find the picture. Put your finger on it and press. It should drop down a menu to save it to the device.

Once you do that, you can upload it.

19. moparjack44

moparjack44

Nothing dropped down, but I have been able to get pictures into my emails on my laptop? Can I do something from there?
    Jack

20. moparjack44

moparjack44

21. moparjack44

moparjack44

22. 73RR

73RR

Not just air into the engine, you need to create a modest vacuum within the crankcase. Are you using an oem valley cover? Is the road draft tube hole plugged or ?
    If plugged, then you 'might' be ok...however, the lines into the sides of the breather will simply pull outside air
    through the cap as that is the path of least resistance.

loudbang likes this.
  23. moparjack44

moparjack44

OEM valley cover, draft tube plugged.
    You saying I need to replace breather cap with closed one, except some opening in bottom of cap?
    Jack

24. 73RR

73RR

Just seal the breather so that the hoses to the carbs are not pulling outside air. This will cause air flowing into the fill tube to travel back up thru the head. This is a little bit of a short circuit but better than using the road draft tube hole.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  25. I think 73RR is talking about the valve cover breather top you have your pcv valve in. if the top isnt plugged the pcv will simply pull fresh air in from there rather then the fill tube breather.

73RR and loudbang like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you take the two screws out of the cover of the breather with the Moon decal on it, and remove it, there should be a gasket underneath it.

If you take it off and you don't see one smooth ridge around the top of the breather main body, but see tabs, or casting features on the cover, that keep the cover propped up, this is where your problem is. If it has tabs that maintain a gap between the main body of the breather and cap, then air is not going through your engine. It is going through that gap, and into the intake.

If you could take that cover off, and post a picture of the breather with it off, and another of the underside of the cover, that would help.

loudbang likes this.
  27. moparjack44

moparjack44

Car is in the body shop, but I should be able to get there tomorrow for pictures.
    Ground covered with snow, and roads still in pretty bad shape. Us Southerners not to prepared for snow ️.

loudbang likes this.
  28. George

George

This in itself is strange, I don't even use sealer on them w/o problems. Another sign of overpressure

loudbang likes this.
  29. moparjack44

moparjack44

Car is in the body shop, but I should be able to get there tomorrow for pictures.
    Ground covered with snow, and roads still in pretty bad shape. Us Southerners not to prepared for snow ️.
    Geezzzz.
    Looks as though I have barking up the wrong "leak", so to speak.
    Someone give me info how to attack and resolve this issue of too much engine pressure?
    Remember, you will be giving instructions to a verry jack leg. Keep it simple .
    Geez