Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Typical 8ba Mechanical Fuel Pump Pressure?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by itsmeinthelbc, Jan 13, 2022.

1. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

I have a 32 roadster with an 8ba with dual 97s as shown in the picture. The back carb loads up and fuel overflows out of the accelerator pump hole. I know Stromberg is strict about the 2.5 lbs pressure and I plan to test over the weekend. I'm writing now to see if anyone knows what the typical pressure out of the mechanical pump is. Is a regulator ever needed? I'm going to check the pressure to baseline, then check the float and needle valve stuff. All thoughts are appreciated young men...!

Attached Files:

2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Billions of flatheads did not come equipped with a regulator. You should be ok. I have not done it but the output pressure can be reduced a bit by adding shims (use gaskets) to the bottom flange of the fuel pump stand.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  3. FlatJan

FlatJan

i run nearly the same setup and works fine. although my mechanical pump is strong and makes a little too much pressure (i have a gauge)
    maybe check your float and needle valve.

4. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

IF those are the new 97s, the little check ball is stuck. 11/16" take it loose from carb, free it up with your fingers, .....it will happen again if the engine sits for a few weeks.