Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 50 YEARS - TIME REALLY DOES FLY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Tonight I went to the first club meeting of the new year and the only difference is our club Tri-City Rod & Custom has been around for 50 years, it's a milestone for a group of guys that got together and started a car club in our early 20's & 30's there was just a few of us in the beginning and we have built a lot of hot rods & custom cars, traveled thousands of miles together and watched each others kids grow up, marry and unfortunately have seen several members pass away over the years.

10 out of 15 members were present tonight and our only living charter member was there also. HRP

This is the original simple drawing of the club logo drawn on a kitchen table on a cold January night.

[​IMG]

We are the oldest active Hot Rod/Custom club in the state of South Carolina.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    54delray, TomT, rockable and 47 others like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice to have friends...
    ... over the years go by.

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on 50 years doing what you love. You have to be one happy person.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. 0d321f32-9194-43da-85c9-c11fa136a1d4.jpg \

This was my hot rod at the time. HRP

54delray, TomT, hotrodharry2 and 23 others like this.

5. That's impressive. I'm not sure young people can understand the depth of a 50 year commitment to anything. Not meaning that to be derogatory, just stating that youth seldom allows appreciation for long term. :)

X-cpe, williebill, seadog and 2 others like this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

That is such a great comment , to sit and give deep thought to . “The depth of a 50 year commitment “ . Most kids today , will never have any commitment , past a few years . Job , marriage , friends , nothing . Just seems as it’s a throw away world , get a new one and hell with commitment .

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Our club is 46 years old. Been hanging around since I was 6. I`m president again for the 3rd time.

8. Congratulations. I started my auto repair shop in 1972, still going strong and about to move onto a new owner. I am also wondering how 50 years could fly by so quickly.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations! I sort of wish there was a local club to me that didn't have power hungry politicians in it.

MO_JUNK and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Congratulations on the 50 year anniversary of your club. I remember going to the Street Rod Nationals in Detroit in 1972 and seeing in person the Bud Bryan 1929 roadster, that was in so many of those Rod & Custom magazines. It sure does not seem like that was 50 years ago. I know that I have lived through all those years, but it still makes you stop and wonder, where did all that time go to!! It's great to see a club such as yours still around after all these years. You must have a very dedicated group of club members.

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

youre having too much fun...now get in the garage and give me 50 spot welds...great sharing..thanks

12. Lil32

Lil32

Congratulations from Aussies

13. Budget36

Budget36

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a LOT of marriages that don't last that long! My uncle has had three and two live in girlfriends in that same amount of time. Good going!!! Gene.

15. Slopok

Slopok

When you realize why pizza is made round, put in a square box and then eaten as a triangle, only then will you be able to understand women! :eek:

54delray, 51504bat, ffr1222k and 5 others like this.
  16. Congratulations Danny!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Our club started in 1956 and in later years we'd get together at the GNRS. What with COVID and just a few of us left, it's the end of the line.

Attached Files:

18. jim snow

jim snow

Congrats Danny. Snowman ⛄️

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I know several of the guys in the club, they are a easy going bunch of old farts.:)

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations Danny!
    Gee ,we seem to have a lot in common...we both need haircuts, my club is 50 years old this year, and the clubs even have similar names Triple Cities Street Rods. Founded in 1972, 30 current members, 1 original member...I joined in '74.
    0.04.jpg

Our club's annual "Cars in the Park" charity car show last summer.
    0.03.jpg 0.02.jpg

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great to hear that things are still going forward - sometimes just have to be in the right place at the right time to be part of automotive history

22. Congrats on the milestone of 50 years…must be so cool to be part of club that has been together for that long. The friendships, cars, and stories…

HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Congratulations!

Lou Manglass

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Congats - 50 is big! This would have been the 40th anniversary for the club I was a charter member of. A few members held on after I left the area in the late '90s, and they managed to keep putting on the Wahoo Swap Meet until just recently when another, younger group from another town in the county took it over. Still see a one or two people once in a while and a few of us are now part of a Facebook group, but it isn't the same as getting together monthly on a Monday night at the local pub to hash out what we were going to do for the next event. Camerderie and lifetime friendships are something you should never take for granted.

25. We have hosted several indoor car shows over the years & we also did cruse-ins & hosted the Spring Water festival In Williamston, South Carolina for years, a new administrator decided we needed to give the city all the proceeds after we made it a big success in conjunction with a craft fair, we bowed out and let the city take over the car show.

As we have aged we are mostly a social group that get together monthly for a meeting, get to gether for a Saturday morning breakfast and go to shows and crusin's local and distant.

I love these guys like brothers, we get all about 95 % of the time, we argue but at the end of the day we all know we enjoy being friends first and hot rodders second, but it's the cars that brought us together. HRP

26. saltracer219

saltracer219

Here in the PNW (Vancouver Washington) we have an old Hot Rod/Racing Club called the Slo Poks. Founded in 1952 by several local High School kids this Club and it's members have been responsible for many notable achievements in Hot Rodding/Racing over the past seven decades. I am proud to say that I have been a member for over 40 years. We still meet every Friday night and we will be celebrating our 70th anniversary this Summer!

HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodjack33 like this.
  27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!---That was my first cross country trip! It was great to be travelling with Bud & Stroker! Rod & Custom editor Bud Bryan trip to Detroit Nats 1972 001.jpg Rod & Custom editor Bud Bryan trip to Detroit Nats 1972.jpg

Lil32 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to take all that gear! Copy of L.A.to Detroit,Mi 1972.JPG

Lil32, HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. We thought we would have some T-Shirt's made to commemorate the 50 year milestone. HRP

Back
    mail (1).jpeg

FRONT
    mail.jpeg

30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Hey Danny, I saw one if your club members at the Texas Roadhouse tonight in Central, he was at the bar and his back was to me but I recognized the 50 year tri city logo.
    Congratulations in the 50 year milestone.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.