Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do you guys do with old car books and manuals"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Jan 10, 2022.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

how about donating them to a book fair? nice tax deduction...

2. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had several Motors Manuals which covered the years 1935 to 1965. I gave them to the owner of a restoration shop. They only work on vintage vehicles. They found the manuals to be valuable in researching specifications and repair methods.

F-ONE and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I love finding old books, found one at st vinnies for 4 bucks the other day that covers all suspension and alignment pre 1952. Is in pristine shape. That kind of info is getting hard to find anywhere besides the hamb for us younger fellers

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trade 'em for PLAYBOY!!

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've attempted to collect any and all OEM & sales brochures, trim and associated manuals, supplements etc, Fisher body, Olds/GM dealer manuals specific to my 1946 Oldsmobile (Canadian & US). It's taken a while however I now have quite a diverse group of rare period original documents that are stored away collecting dust for when I eventually get the car going.:rolleyes: I even have a NOS dealer wall chart that needs to be mounted along with an original 'Sunvisor Hydra-matic starting instructions'.
    Hydro comparison.jpg

Olds brochures.jpg
    20141216_142520.jpg 20141216_142305.jpg 20141216_142206.jpg 20141216_142023.jpg

Packrat, 41 GMC K-18, 54EARL and 2 others like this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Had to chuckle today.
    Guy was on social media asking for help because his program wouldn’t load on his computer so he couldn’t fix his truck.
    That wouldn’t happen if he had a book.

41 GMC K-18 and oliver westlund like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just had a discussion with a buddy this past Monday. I said my house would burn for a good 12 hours. It is 120 years old.

8. gimme! gimme! gimme!

Does that answer your question?:D

loudbang likes this.
  9. Ecc412

Ecc412

I would be more than happy to take anything Ford related!

loudbang likes this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Couldn't help but notice , on the preceding motors manual index page ,of the 24 car brands listed ,only 8 (1/3) remain !

41 GMC K-18 and X-cpe like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I carried a stack of mostly Mopar shop manuals (newest =1963) to a swapmeet a few years ago and a guy who specialized In Mopar manuals bought the stack. They came out of the back room of the high school shop I taught in and the first shop teacher I had in had had in high school had got them from a local dealer where he worked summers.

I have a batch of text books that book reps gave me at the an unlimited vocational teachers convention. Most are boxed up but I do use one for reference. All I snagged when the district closed the program is a 1946 Motor manual, early 60's interchange manual and an early 50's wiring diagram book. Most likely saved from the dumpster later.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. Got them in a hope chest.

13. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I have a pretty fair collection of GM Holden workshop manuals, almost complete from '48 to '91. I use mine routinely. I was lucky to grow up in an automotive family, and "played" with stuff for years. I was "that" person who would fiddle with a carburetor, changing jets and settings based on what others said and thinking I was tuning it.

As I got older, I realised how little I really understood. Too busy in life to go back to school, and the world had moved on... been a long time since the local tech colleges taught the basics of carburetors or gearboxes. Tried hard to learn from talking to people, and soon came to realise that the ratio of people like me (who thought they knew) to people who really did know was very, very high. Lots of chaff with the wheat. Must admit the HAMB has helped me find a better ratio.

I use the manuals to help me understand properly. I'm no Carbking, but I'm now confident enough in my knowledge to reverse engineer some of the weird stuff that comes my way (the last one was a set of 33/34 Winfield sidedraughts: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-fast-articles-please.1099406/#post-12470261 http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21042&start=30, and some local low-pressure mechanical fuel injection before that: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21645). Similarly confident enough to do my own brake and gearbox work. The manuals give me a good grounding, and help to sharpen up the questions I need to ask here when I get stuck.

Cheers,
    Harv

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I love old shop manuals. About three years ago my boss was clearing out his Dads old wooden garage and asked me if I wanted the old books. I said absolutely. A couple of days later I was was thumbing through them and found an original Ardun color sales brochure that had been folded up in the pages since the 50s. :cool:

41 GMC K-18, loudbang and 302GMC like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

POST PIC`S.

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I never took any pictures of it . It was printed in mostly red and black ink and if I recall it was about 12" x24" I gave it to Mike Herman at H&H . He said he had a repop hanging on the wall but had never seen an original...I said Merry Christmas.

loudbang and stanlow69 like this.
  18. fuzzface

fuzzface

"There must be youngsters out there who would love to have some of the information contained in them."

Problem is they wouldn't know how to open them without a program.

Anyways my books are staying here until I kick the bucket. Yes, they don't get used as much anymore with the internet out there but they come in handy when the internet isn't.

Like my cars, the estate will do what they like with them. I won't be here to tell them and I am not going to worry about it. I have more important things to worry about while I am still alive like what's for lunch and what car will I drive today?

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  19. a friend is looking for a shop manual that covers 50-55 International pickup trucks,...or at least 1955.
    would you have anything?

20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I didn't read all 3 pages, so maybe I'm late here: I hope you can find some young mechanic who can use them. Published books like these are SO much better, complete, and more reliable that the internet. You get the constant questions on the HAMB, facebook, any automotive forum: "My car wont turn over, I cranked it for 2 minutes. It just goes click, but it tries to start. It ran at some point. A guy said it might be the distributor. A guy on facebook said it might be the gas cap." Then they get 100 guesses from people trying to help who range from expert to clueless. If they would find them selves a good manual, it would walk them thru the diagnostics step by step in a logical fashion. These books need a good home.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd never toss a hardbound but I did take a 50 year collection of car magazines to the recycler a couple of years ago, nearly a full pickup load, that was hard to do.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I used to work with a guy that had a son that worked for Ford. I bought a set of 1978ish dealership manuals for the pickups. I'll probably never own another one, but for a guy that has one, they would be their weight in gold.