Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Form board

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Anyone heard of something called form board for making interior panels? Looking to finish up interior on a 1930 Tudor. I used luan for the door panels and kick panels. Looking for something to do the curved pieces in the rear corners. They curve two different directions, around the corner as well as up to the roof. I suppose it will have to be two pieces. ABS possibly? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You want expanded foam PVC board. See my Buick Build Thread for more info.

3. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

What thickness did you use? Don’t see it in your build thread.

4. The foam board that I am familiar with is found at picture framing shops and arts supply stores, it wouldn't hold staples or screws.

Upholstery board is usually available at your local automotive trim shops or upholstery supply houses, it's usually a brown compost material. HRP

5. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Expanded PVC is not the same stuff. From Acme Plastics:

What is Expanded PVC Foam?
    "Lightweight and rigid, expanded PVC foam is an expanded foam polyvinyl chloride that provides a variety of exceptional attributes. Used for signage exhibits, store displays, POP, kiosks, screen printing, and more, the material, features a smooth surface with a matte finish that makes it ideal for painting or lamination. Expanded PVC sheets and panels have strong screw and staple retention, making it a perfect material for cabinetry, stage prop design, and other projects that require wood replacement. They also are free of lead, cadmium, barium, zinc, and are incredibly flame-resistant. Easy to cut and shape, PVC Foam is a strong choice for 3-D exhibits."

Cool stuff. I have used it in many different ways. It doesn't suck water like "brown compost material". Mike

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. I have seen some of this stuff, an upholsterer friend of mine gave me a sample. He used a heat gun to get it into it's final shape, and it stays like that. At the time I used to work operating an environmental test chamber, so I put the bent sample in there at 55C for a day, and it held it's shape. Good stuff for curved shapes.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The Good brown composite stuff you are referring to is door panel board. The thicker stuff is waterproof. The thinner isn`t. It is usually what mail order companies sell as kick panels and package trays. Big difference between the two.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  9. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

10. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Thanks guys for the great recommendation. Bought 3 sheets of expanded foam abs online. This stuff is great. Super light, very very workable and seems strong. Haven’t actually put vinyl to it yet but I’m sure it will glue down just fine.

11. fordor41

fordor41

First time we did our '41 we used luan. luan tends to soak up the glue when wrapping upholstry around it. I kept a lot of material to wrap. My '60 has 1/8" ABS panels. glue holds well and short stapples hold also. It was done by previous owner.

12. evintho

evintho

13. KenC

KenC

I've seen references to both ABS and PVC, if anyone has experience with both, which seems to be the best, if there is a difference.

I'm thinking of using one of them in my 56 Dodge PU headliner. The original, and all the replacements I've seen are several pieces. What I'm thinking is using one of the foamed plastic panels, bend to shape with a heat gun, glue the pieces together and cover it all with a fabric headliner so that it looks like one piece. Then I would install using trim screws around the edge.

I have some experience gluing PVC and it glues well.. How about ABS, better or worse?

14. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

15. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I glued this expanded foam ABS together last night with superglue and it’s not coming apart period. When you glue it you have to put a piece on the back side seam.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Sign shops have a material I have been considering, really holds up on those campaign signs that nobody ever takes down.