Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake Bleeding!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Most often Facts are stranger than Fiction. I'd like to know how fluid bypasses air in a 3/16 id line.

alchemy, Truck64, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

On some models the M/C was mounted in a drastic nose high position from the factory..............

Tman and ffr1222k like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is why I do the "bleed bottle on step ladder thing".

Irrespective of how to the system is built, it creates a temporary highest point in the system.

Tman, loudbang and jaw22w like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bunch of GM stuff was like that, to kick the body of the master cylinder over other components. This was to minimize the area that the engine compartment occupied on the platform. Small car, big interior.

loudbang likes this.
  5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That method is the one I was using. Caliper above the MC and bottle above that. It would not get the air out until I jacked up the front of the car.

indyjps and loudbang like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever it takes! Just happy it is done!

loudbang and jaw22w like this.
  7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Strange, some systems are just more difficult to bleed than others. Years ago I rebuilt the brake system on a '59 Chevy and couldn't get it completely bled. I struggled with that thing using everything at my disposal, including a vacuum pump. I ended up taking the car to a guy with a pressure bleeder setup and got it done, no problem Since then, I've always considered pressure bleeding to be the best method of positively removing all the trapped air.
    Curious to know if it would have worked here...might avoid having to jack up he car.

chevyfordman, Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Me too. How does a bubble in 3/16" line stay at the high point in that loop, but the fluid goes around it? I just can't see it happening. And tilting the car a few degrees was enough to magically fix it?

2OLD2FAST and jaw22w like this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I am certainly no engineer. and I can't tell you the science behind it, but I can tell you anecdotally, that it happened to me... TWICE!

ffr1222k, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thinking about this some more. Maybe the air is not in one big bubble blocking the line. I can see a small string of bubbles laying along the top of the line, not blocking the line, and fluid passing under the bubbles. I think this is a lot more likely than 1 big bubble. When I was bleeding, I did notice that I wasn't getting a lot of air all at once, but I was getting streams of small bubbles. Maybe that means something. Maybe not.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  11. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Highly unlikely that this is the answer. Theoretically I reckon capillary action (attraction? Been a long time since school!) will keep the fluid across the diameter of the tube. From practical experience I've watched it in the clear bleeding tube (of approx 3/16 diameter, possibly greater) and that is just what the fluid does. And with the bleed tube blocked the air bubbles dont rise in the tube either. Clever stuff that brake fluid. Vickwithahemi has been strangely absent in this thread!

Chris

jaw22w likes this.
  12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Hell, I'm just taking wild assed guesses here. All I know is I drove that car with 2 pump brakes almost 7 years and 25000 miles after bleeding it nose down every time. A lot of times. Then when I bled it nose up, all of a sudden, I have 1 pump brakes.
    Obviously, there is an explanation. I just don't know what it is, but I've got good brakes now.

jimgoetz and firstinsteele like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Actually that is quite accurate! Back many posts back, I mentioned how air bubbles can “ shoot” through a brake system if it has air and pressure. It’s been too many moons for me to even remember where I saw it , now. But I do remember seeing minute air bubbles in the top of the brake lines , not huge ones, shooting through the clear brake lines on that mock up brake system. Don’t remember much other about that class, but the little bubbles shooting through the system, were imbedded in my mind!
    That is why I never “ build a pedal” bleeding brakes. Just a push of the brake pedal with the valve open.

Bones

jaw22w and jimgoetz like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Good deal!

Is the MC down in front with your rake?

jaw22w likes this.
  15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That's what I see in my mind.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

At ride height the MC is 0.00 degrees level, and the frame is 2.50 degrees down in front on my digital angle cube.

Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.
  17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Too bad we can't see inside those lines. We need SUPERMAN!
    Or maybe Dale Earnhardt. They said he could see the air!

Boneyard51 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

Happy you found it.

I'll share some OT if it helps, brake related and may apply. Swapped to stainless brake lines on daily driver 06 silverad0. Lot of concern on making sure the abs valve was fully fed with fluid as the system was filled. Gravity fed overnight to the abs valve, old master cylinder cap and hung the tank from the hood latch. Then switched to pressure bleed with same master cylinder cap and a small pressure garden sprayer. While the pressure was on, crawled around under the truck tapped on all the lines to a corner. Cracked the bleeder. Went around the truck twice. May have been overkill. But those valves are expensive and difficult to swap.
    I've also started doing a final brake bleed
    with the engine running to ensure any power brake, abs, or controls are running. This solved a soft pedal on one of my wife's drivers years ago, and I've kept doing it.
    I never force caliper pistons back under pressure when changing brakes, crack the bleeder when compressing the piston.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always pushed back the piston when replacing front pads as the second step in a front pad replacement. The first step is to take off the MC lid to make sure additional fluid has not been added. If it’s full I suck some out and use a flat screw drive to press back the piston with the old pad. I don’t know if that meets your definition of under pressure or not.

20. indyjps

indyjps

Older stuff - It's only a few minutes difference to crack the bleeder and back off the piston, I do it on old stuff to flush fresh fluid thru the caliper at brake pad change anyway. I doubt the fluid in the caliper exchanges readily with any new fluid in the reservoir, the fluid that hangs in the caliper sees all the heat cycles. I see a benefit to flush it.
    Late model stuff, I don't want to take a chance of damaging abs related BS.

Just sharing info and perspective. Not trying to convince anyone to do it the way I do.

Boneyard51 and Happydaze like this.
  21. garyf

garyf

I agree with your way. Forcing the nasty brake fluid from the brake calipers back into an ABS system can be very expensive.

Boneyard51 and indyjps like this.
  22. You have to bleed them off the car with the hoses still attached and the rotor and caliper down flat on the ground, and bleed all the bleed valves.

23. OK. I had that same 2-pump problem with my Willys for years. I bled, and bled, and bled, no change. My system is really a cludged up mess with '68 manual GTX master cylinder, '70s Ford Torino front disk brakes and '56 Olds/Buick finned drum rear brakes. Add to that a vintage '50s GM Bendix remote vacuum booster.

I finally got desperate and ignored the usual recommendation to adjust the master cylinder push rod to allow the piston to totally relax. I turned the pushrod in to preload the piston and VOILA, I got rock solid brakes. Try turning your push rod in and preloading your master cylinder. Worst that can happen is you lock up your brakes and you won't go anywhere until you back it off.

littlemann, jaw22w and loudbang like this.