Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banger to t5 adapter plate

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by panheadguy, Jan 13, 2022.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I read somewhere that there is an adapter plate to mate a t5 to the stock model a bellhousing. Anyone know of such a thing.....or am I hallucinating
    Thanks

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.vintageprecision.com/
    I have one of these bell housings to a T-5
    It is a nice product and they have detailed drawings and instructions
    Also have used the AA housing with a transmission adapter
    What are your plans?

Hamtown Al likes this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a setup for sale awhile ago either on Craigslist or Facebook MP with I believe a stock bell housing but unfortunately I can't find the ad now. So there may be what you're looking for available. If I run across the ad again I'll post it.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Does Clings automotive make one?

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Went to a Model A swap meet last weekend and there was a guy there selling conversion stuff. Looked well done and he had a nice display. Said he had/or was working on (?) a setup that would give 10 speeds as well. Nice guy. John Baker 606 348 8533 [email protected] He's in Moticello Ky.

9. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Something other than a non syncro trans so my daughter can drive without double clutching.

11. “You might be wondering why we chose to use the AA bell housing over the stock passenger bell. Well, there as several reasons. First, the AA bell is about 2.5" shorter. This allows us not to have to use an extension on the input shaft of the T5. The T5 input shaft is actually quite a bit shorter than the original 3 speed transmission and doesn't even come close to reaching the flywheel with the passenger bell. With the AA bell housing, you have to trim 5/8" off of the pilot diameter and everything else lines up quite nicely. Also, since the overall package is shorter, the original cross member, if left in place, needs much less modifications. The AA bellhousing also lends itself very nicely to allowing for the use of both T5 bolt patterns. The '93-'96 T5 seem much easier to acquire at a reasonable cost.”

From the Vintagemetalworks site.
    The AA bell housings are out there and reasonably priced. I think that I paid $30.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Ever thought about the old Volvo 4 speeds from the 50s and 60s, m41 I think? There are some posts on here about it. Seems fairly straightforward.

Edit: Got home and on the computer instead of squinting at my phone. The transmission is an m40. M41 would have the electric OD. Anyway, here's the thread I was thinking of:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/volvo-m40-transmission-conversion-in-model-a.951708/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    rusty valley likes this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

I've used the volvo's, its a nice little tranny

15. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I reviewed this thread some time ago. Those trannys are getting hard to find in Denmark and more so here in the states. It looks like they used the AA bellhousing too, I was trying to use the A pass car bellhousing.

16. Once you have an AA bellhousing mounted and see the ease of using one you understand why they are used.
    As said for all their advantages . Only drawback really is no peddle mounts. An easy one to overcome with the adapter plate.

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you use an A housing, it starts putting things pretty far back, like a shifter under your seat.
    If you figure out the A housing, let us know.

18. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I used an AA bellhousing with a Vintage Metalworks adapter mated to a Camaro T-5 with an S-10 tailshaft and even with that setup, the shifter ends up farther rearward than I like. With a stock Model A bellhousing, the shifter location would be even worse, as has been mentioned. The Vintage Metalworks adapter includes a pedal shaft so you don't have to relocate anything. Very nice piece of kit.

winduptoy likes this.
  19. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

some have mentioned the Volvo m40 set up. These are the ones i have done. I use the AA bell housing as its shorter. They work good but have had to make most parts as there is no conversion available. I used an open drive on both of the ones I converted. If there were more transmissions around I would think about it as they are pretty simple and are about the same size as a model a 3 speed volvo 1.jpg volvo 2.jpg volvo 3.jpg

rusty valley, Shadow Creek and 2Blue2 like this.
  20. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That looks really sweet. The problem; as you mentioned is finding the tranny. Thanks for the great photos they really tell a lot.

21. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

You can substitute a different length input shaft, what does the measurement need to be?