Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ISO of SoCal Speed Shop or Independent

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by itsmeinthelbc, Jan 12, 2022.

1. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

I have a new to me '32 roadster with 8ba that needs carb and ignition pro-tuning and some (what I hope is just a) clutch adjustment on my the T5. Currently talking to Jimmy White, Jimmy Shine, and Rod Tech. They are all kind of busy or may not be interested with the just the tune that I need, especially with GNRS in a couple weeks. If anyone is local to LA/OC, I will pay handsomely for the consultation and tech support. New 97s need correct jets, timing, points, (maybe upgrade to pointless or electronic), etc.. Or if you know of another shop I don't know about.

All thoughts are mucho, mucho appreciated.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. clem

clem

itsmeinthelbc likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Also, Circle City Hot Rods in Orange, may be your best bet for flat head tuning.

Or, in the LA area there's Hollywood Hot Rods: https://www.hollywoodhotrods.com/

Like you said, this close to GNRS it may be difficult to get in.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

C5C96D37-A54B-44BC-879B-1B8D8020BAE2.jpeg I’ll see if I can find a phone number and private message it to you

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Try Steve Beck @ Checkpoint Automotive in West Los Angeles. Off Grandview. Just south of Venice. He’s a Hot Rodder, Tunes everything from Stock T’s to GT 40’s & Cobras.
    Tell him Cyclone Kevin sent you. A fellow “Oldtimers WLA” Club Brother.

7. Stokers in Upland, Ca……

Jim Bouchard and itsmeinthelbc like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That might be hard to accomplish this close to GNRS a lot of shops that would normally fit in are up against a deadline with car prep for the show.

9. jnaki

jnaki

Freeway close from Long Beach to La Crescenta about 35 miles
    upload_2022-1-16_8-16-28.png

Hello,

I was doing some research on an old truck I happen to see, locally, with a Flathead sign on the door. Upon further research, it led me to this website: https://handhflatheads.com/

I had a Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery during 1960-64. It gave me tons of fun driving to high school and to our local beaches weekly. Even on long distance surf trips to Santa Barbara or down near the Baja Border, the Flathead ran well and was very reliable.
    upload_2022-1-16_8-18-28.png
    It ran well, but on those steep coastal grades on the major highways, downshifting was the key to continuing on our journeys. We had to plan on whether or not, the steep grade was going to hold us back or if we had to seek an alternative method.

If we had the money, a modified Flathead motor from our friends at Reath Automotive was certainly going to make driving uphill anywhere, more pleasurable. If the 348 motor that was originally in place when I offered to buy it, still existed, then there would be no problem. But, for my price, the Flathead was put in place of the 348 motor. It served its purpose many times, but the one thing was the lack of power from the Flathead motor. If the flathead were modified to give me a little more power, then going up to the local mountains would have also been in the picture.

Jnaki

I have no experience with this company, but when I searched for more Flathead motor information, they seemed to know their stuff. Plus, the old truck I saw was classic and no one would advertise unless their work was flawless in their field.
    upload_2022-1-16_8-21-7.png

About H&H Flatheads:
    A family business now in its third generation, H&H has been rebuilding all early-Ford engines from Model Ts, As, Bs, and V-8s in the same La Cresenta, California, location since first opening its doors in 1972. Mike Herman branched out in 2003 to specialize in flathead Ford V-8s and brought into the fold Navarro Racing Equipment, Sharp Speed & Power Equipment, Austin Speed Equipment, S.Co.T. Blowers, Wilson & Woods 8BA heads and most recently the Dixon sohv cylinder heads. Besides the Ford flathead, H&H also specializes in Ardun conversions, Lincoln V-12 and other vintage engines including Y-Block Ford, Nailhead Buicks and Chrysler Hemis.
    upload_2022-1-16_8-25-23.png

upload_2022-1-16_8-31-43.png

Attached Files: