Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. I seem to recall that with the more "serious" hydraulic cams there was tendency to set them to zero lash and that was all. You would stop adjusting as soon as the tapping quit. This eliminated the possibility of the lifter pumping up and holding the valve off the seat until it bled back down.

2. I doubt that my .479 lift is gonna contact my dish pistons lol....

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Dish or domed there still is a valve relief.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Yes sir. And I fully believe that none of it has anything to do with the noise i have. It would have been everywhere, not just around the rear side of the right bank. The #8 rocker was the only one out of 16 with any issues. The slot in the rocker, from the bottom side, is sharp enough to cut you. It's shot. But the truck is back out in the lot now. It'll get fully redone.

5. squirrel

squirrel

0.5 turns / 24 tpi = 0.02" that the nut moves, times 1.5 gives 0.030". Typical valve to piston clearance is 0.080-0.100"

I guess it could be a problem? Not on my engines, though.

Thanks for bringing it up.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not saying this is your issue. There are those that think valve tag only happens with pop up's is why I brought it up.

7. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Not on mine since the first kissing encounter. Just things we learn while pushing the limits . My problem arose when I went to a set of roller rockers , still 1.5 but actually 1.5 vs the factory which are around 1.5 .

8. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Agreed , sorry for getting off track . I was posting a possibility after valve adjustment.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ever fall a sleep in your Lazy Boy then suddenly something jumps out of no where? It just happened a few moments ago. The video sounds just like the time my friends father dropped a 5/16" carb bolt down the intake and said it'll be fine.

10. I put a couple of 1/4" nuts down mine. Help keep the carbon from building up on the valves

11. Other than the odd noise the engine sounds good, HRP

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

LMAO

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My experience with self aligning rockers---throw them away!

Had a set on a 350 with factory aluminum heads, they apparently were worn out, one jumped sideways, pushing on the side of the valve spring cap. With the sideways push, the keeper came off, valve dropped into the cylinder. Pulled the heads, the one piston was dimpled, but otherwise undamaged. Had the heads worked, new valves and keepers, put in a set of guide plates and roller rockers, no more problems. The factory aluminum heads had huge holes for the pushrods, 2" or better. It was a wonder it hadn't done dropped a valve, all the rocker tips were worn badly.

Good thing was we had just gotten back from a trip to FL in the car, had put about 600 miles on it. It came apart 1/4 mile from the house, was happy it didn't let go somewhere between here and FL or down there!

14. brando1956

brando1956

Are you sure it's not something like this?

fauj, Rickybop, chryslerfan55 and 8 others like this.
  15. People have died for less than that!
    :mad:

fauj, VANDENPLAS, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

I’d have loved to have seen the look on the guys face!

fauj and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Who hasn't pulled that prank, or had it pulled on them?

fauj, SS327, Truckdoctor Andy and 4 others like this.
  18. That's a Good Prank BRANDO1956 I Laugh out loud when I Played
    Now I had my Laugh for the Day.!
    LOYD now when will You Start It.
    Waiting...................................................................................................?

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

20. X-cpe

X-cpe

So now you're only half nuts?

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I remember seeing an old ad for a piece of small chain you put in the cyl of your A or T to remove carbon. Run it awhile and fish it out with a piece of wire. Lippy

22. 6sally6

6sally6

My buddy seized up a 350 Shivel-lay dirt track mow-der when a 1/4-20 nut fell out of his brand new proform modified carb. Got sucked in thru the carb and jambed between the piston and cylinder wall.
    We found it in the pile of carnage . Windowed the block...pulled an Eagle rod in two.....bent several more......broken camshaft.....etc. We were able to re-use the Brezinski intake and that was it!!
    It went from 7 grand to ZERO in a New York minute!! A big Kaabooom! and he went into a skid....and stopped.
    Pretty heart breaking.....lotsa money in that cheated-up 350!!
    6sally6

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Love that, "cheated-up"
    I have been the wrench on a few dry pond runners, that statement is so true no mater what badge was on the engine. ;)

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Traditional" chislic is usually mutton, not deer. Deep fried, salted and eaten with saltines and beer. I've never heard of anyone using dry rubs or Italian dressing on it.

But then I only grew up in southeastern South Dakota, so how would I know?

25. Lloyd, when you get over being frustrated and angry, are you going to find out what's wrong or pull it and start over?

lake_harley likes this.
  26. You have to remember @Lloyd's paint & glass , he ain’t right.

'28phonebooth and hotrodjack33 like this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me. I've never seen that.
    OMG... that's so bad. LOL!
    You guys teach me bad things. :)

anothercarguy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ricky, stick around. Next we install a model T coil and a switch on a 57 cadillac to shock the shit out of the unsuspecting car show goers. :D

29. Just throwing this out here. When I was a teen I did a cam swap on a SBC and followed the instructions, set to 0 lash and 1/2 turn. Damn engine would not start. So I was told by someone older and wiser then me, the kid to only go 1/4 turn from 0 lash and she fired right up. This was a fairly big crower cam, hyd, flat tappet.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  30. I think you're right, like I said, when I preload you can see the valve open, and that would cause zero compression. But once the starter died, I shoved it out in the cold lol... built my model A sedan 350 with the same camshaft and lifters, it had double hump heads, but I adjusted them the way I always do, and it had zero issues. I'll get back on it one of these days. Tested positive on Thursday, I'm not doing much, being lazy and watching TV shows about cars lol. Got 10 days off from the firehouse though lol

fauj, loudbang, sidewayzz69 and 2 others like this.