Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Movies and Period Correct Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Nov 6, 2019.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello W,

When we were little, those period correct cars were driving on our So Cal streets on a daily basis. My brother and I used to fight over who got to read the original Archie comics first. It was Spiderman, or Archie. I started with Archie and then it was Spiderman. My brother usually relented and then we switched.

All of these years later, my wife and I happened to like the Archie TV program and started watching. It was a little fascinating seeing the modern version of the old comics come to life. The story lines were altered to make a better TV show. But, we still like the story line of the characters.

When the pandemic is over and they can get back to filming. We will still continue to watch the show. Thanks for the information as the stories had to come from some person's real life stories.

Jnaki

For some reason, people do not like the show, but it is entertaining. The cars bring bring back those good old times from the late 50s and early 60s. They are period correct, even the modern version of the old Archie Comics, Phaeton hot rod.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-10-1_8-6-50.png Nurse Ratched
    Hello,

My wife and I are in the mystery realm of TV/movie shows. If the setting is modern, that is great with the latest technology showing on the screen. Even if the setting of the show is back in the 60s or even the 50s, the new technology creates a great looking timeline for old cars.
    upload_2020-10-1_8-7-50.png
    The latest show we started watching was called RATCHED. It is a fictional account based on the fabulous movie called “One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest”, starring Jack Nicholson. The nurse called Ratched was the mainstay of that movie. This TV show is a take off on that same nurse in a different timeline and era. The name "Ratched" is the only thing that connects that classic movie with Jack Nicholson to this new version. No other comparisons can be used or allowed. This one is not in the same category at all.

The car photography of the period correct scenes is pretty good and they just jump out of the screen in living color. The coastal setting is the famous Big Sur Coastline that we have all seen in other shows or have driven on those classic bridges.

upload_2020-10-1_8-30-15.png
    It started out with a bit of a shock. So, be forewarned… definitely not safe for family viewing or even for mature teenagers, either. It is one odd ball show and scenarios. The characters are a little over the top and it just got very weird, so my wife and I quit watching the show.

Jnaki

That is too bad because, the cars and background scenery is pretty outstanding. The colors are spectacular. But the theme of the movie was not. (Lucia is an unincorporated community in Monterey County, California.)
    upload_2020-10-1_8-30-55.png

For the "normal" people watching the show, they would not notice that from the time of the gas station, that maroon 46-47 Ford Sedan Delivery has been in every car scene. Someone is following the main character, or it is just the way of the production people, who place cars in the scenes. They probably thought that no one would notice. But, from a sedan delivery guy, it stood out like a sore thumb.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. Wrong movie... Nurse Ratched was the main antagonist in 'One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest' (1975). Nicholson plays a petty criminal who acts crazy to get sent to a mental institution instead of prison where he bucks her authority with disastrous results.

Still a bunch of cool old cars....

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey CS,

You are absolutely correct. I guess I just could not get over the connection after seeing this new version of an early RATCHED. The Cuckoos Nest was also one of Jack Nicholson's great movies.

Thanks for the correction. This old brain is being affected by the heat we have been having in coastal So Cal. When it is 90+, it is hot. We don't normally stop a show, but this one was bad...except for the coastal scenery and the early cool, cars. Those two were the only things it had going for it.

Jnaki
    I will check my brain and search parameters next time.

5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-3_4-40-24.png
    Hello,

One of the best shows currently running on a streaming channel is called “The Queen’s Gambit.” It is a great story with some pitfalls and uplifting moments. We saw it as a very long movie in December. After we saw the first episode, we were so enthralled, that we watched 2 more episodes that first night. Then the next night, we made it into a normal 2 hour movie night. Finally on the third night, we finished the program and sat back very satisfied. It was a very period correct show that showcases plenty of locations and of course, the cars of the time period.
    upload_2021-1-3_4-41-26.png 1946 Chrysler Deluxe Business Coupe
    Throughout the viewing, the cars stand out for the scenes. If you decide to watch it, the cars pop up for different eras and scenes, so the following photos taken will not give away the scene or location in the series.
    upload_2021-1-3_4-44-33.png 1957 Chevy 4 door Social Services Car
    1957 Chevy 4 door sedan family car
    upload_2021-1-3_4-45-23.png
    1957 Ford hardtop upload_2021-1-3_6-31-22.png

1938-1939 Ford V8 pickup truck
    upload_2021-1-3_4-47-4.png 1965 CORVAIR upload_2021-1-3_4-47-47.png

Jnaki

For my wife and I, the most fun surprise was the appearance of the black 55 Chevy Bel Air with yellow flames rolling up into the neighborhood. It was done quite nicely and was a surprise, for sure.
    upload_2021-1-3_4-48-34.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    mad mikey likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/movies-and-period-correct-cars.1172139/page-3#post-13619464 Riverdale 2020
    upload_2021-12-18_4-57-39.png Friday Art

Hello,

The last time we watched the Riverdale show was in 2020. It seemed like the end of the whole series, but due to the pandemic, it was cut short. It looked as if the fantasy take from the 50s Archie Comic Books was gone from production, forever. From tons of questions and letters, the producers have finally made the graduation scenes in the series, period correct cars and such.

Riverdale has always been a show with period correct cars. Afterall, it is a take on our favorite comic books from the 50s, Archie. The characters have been spiced up a bit, as has the story line. But, hey, this is Hollywood production at its best to make us believe.
    upload_2021-12-18_5-0-32.png 2021
    Jughead, Veronica with Betty driving Archie’s 1931 Ford phaeton. Archie finished the build project with his dad in an earlier season.

2020 info:
    "Riverdale, Season 4 has now come to an end three episodes early, with Season 4, Episode 19 ("Killing Mr. Honey") acting as the season finale of The CW show. That episode may have ended with the latest twist of the videotape voyeur mystery, but fans were deprived of the senior prom and graduation that the season seemed to have been leading up to. However, the show has promised fans that they will still get to see the cast graduate. According to the producer, Riverdale Season 5 (which has been confirmed by The CW) will start with the three episodes that remain unaired from Season 4.”

“The first of these will feature the prom, while the finale will be the Riverdale High Graduation. It felt like since we have such big events like prom and graduation, and we'd already written [Episodes] 21 and 22... they're big, emotional episodes, and there's a lot of stuff with the characters that we're still playing out, so it felt like maybe what we'll do is start with the last three episodes.”

Well, the “kids” have all gone through graduation and are now heading in various directions. Where the rest of the show will take us is a mystery. We still have more episodes to go, but the hot rod scenes are the best since early last year. The homes, Pop's Diner, and various other scenes showcase old 50s-60s cars in their natural settings. A fantasy series that when streamed continuously, is a movie about the teenagers coming of age...

Jnaki

upload_2021-12-18_5-6-41.png

There are still plenty of chapters to go even after the big reveal of graduation. Now, that that portion is over, the actual characters can now play to their own ages with pizazz. We shall see what is in store. YRMV
    upload_2021-12-18_5-7-24.png

7. I recall early in the movie seeing a Chevy on the side of the street with the wrong year SS wheel covers.

8. RDR

RDR

Just watched a Movie on IMBdTV (ROKU) about the Early Stock car Racing and the NC boys that gave up Moonshine hauling to stay legal...True Story and Good Show, "Red Dirt Rising"
    also a few months back on ROKU a 1930's Serial called, "Burn 'Em Up Barnes" that had an OK Story line with a Lot of Vintage Ascot Track Racing...worth watching
    enjoy...
    upload_2022-1-12_17-40-13.jpeg upload_2022-1-12_17-42-16.jpeg

9. Except it's a T body and 28/9 rad shell.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Very interesting, Not a movie buff. I'll never forget sitting in the theater with my girl. We were watching "The Sting". The under cover guys had a big Buick sedan ( early '30s ). When it was GO time, the Buick tore out to the tune of a mouse motor drinking through a quad. I sat up, ready to make a declaration. Looking at my lady I realized, she don't care.

11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

In the old TV series "Hogans' Heroes", which I consider a slap in the face to the WWll prisoners of war, they often have trucks that are up to 5 years newer than the end of the war. :eek:

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The cast members were apparently able to get over any misgivings about the show's theme.

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink), John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were all Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, and Askin had all fled the Nazis during World War II (Caine, whose birth name was Cohen, was an American). Further, Robert Clary, a French Jew who played LeBeau, spent three years in a concentration camp (with an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm, "A-5714"); his parents and other family members were killed there. Likewise, Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Other Jewish actors, including Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone, made multiple appearances playing German generals.

As a teenager, Klemperer, the son of conductor Otto Klemperer, fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win against his Nazi captors, or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his role by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin had all spent the real Second World War serving in the U.S. Armed Forces—Banner and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit.

Baumi, 41 coupe, williebill and 6 others like this.
  13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks for the history. It's not the actors that upsets me but the depiction of the way the prisoners were really treated . I actually like the show for what it is - entertainment.

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

My local public TV channel produced a show called "Stalag Luft III: One Man's Story". It's a documentary about a Minnesota man who was a bombardier in the 8th Army who was shot down and spent two years in the same POW camp where The Great Escape happened. It's a really good show about life in the camp, look for it on your local public TV channel. There's a 30 second preview available, it doesn't appear they have it online yet: https://www.tpt.org/minnesota-exper...ft-iii-trailer-whilrlygig-productions-rjajha/

One thing I found interesting is it was relatively easy for them to bribe the guards. They'd give them the chocolate or cigarettes from their Red Cross packages, and then they had them hooked - the guards knew they'd get sent to the Eastern Front if the prisoners told the warden, and then they could get the guards to smuggle in things they needed.

15. w
    a christmas story is pre war Indiana? ive always thought it took place in 48-50

Fortunateson and lurker mick like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is some contention on the exact year/time of A Christmas Story...but it was definitely pre war.

From imdb.com...
    The Wizard of Oz (1939) references point to 1939, but the decoder ring points to 1940. The calendar on the wall during the first dinner sequence has December 1st on a Friday, which happened in 1939.
    The LOOK magazine used by Ralph Parker to insert his Red Ryder promotion for his mother's observation was a December 21, 1937 edition.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  17. The movie Dirty Dancing..."Baby " and whats-his-face haulin' ass down a supposedly curvy mountain road in the black '57 Chevy..He's sawin' away at the wheel , trying to keep it under control...The column shift lever is in Park...OOPS ...I guess they handle better that way in the movies

chevy57dude and upspirate like this.
  18. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

White lightning is the name of the movie. The car was a '71 Ford LTD.

I watched that a couple of nights ago. It happened 2 or 3 times at least. I watch for that kind of stuff all the time.

upspirate likes this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah, ‘50s Hot Rods with mini skirts? Shot just a few miles east of Vancouver so lots of local cars...

jnaki likes this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I wouldn’t think a relatively small town would be able to afford promoting a movie that came out in ‘39 during the same year. One or two years later or perhaps Macy’s. Coonskin Davey Crocket hat late ‘50s, ‘46-48 Chev parked on the street during the “frozen tongue” scene, and more serve to evoke a collective feel but no definitive time frame.

Ha ha.... depends what time you actually show up for a war....LOL

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree 100%. Taratino is an absolute nerd when it comes to details. I´ve just rest his book to this movie and he´s going even deeper than in the movie. I ´m not familiar enough with late 60s Hollywood gossip to tell what´s true and what is fiction, but he sure got the vibe of the time across perfectly.

22. jnaki

jnaki

"Cry Macho" Clint Eastwood drives a 1947 Chevrolet Pickup Truck

upload_2022-1-15_5-52-4.png
    So, what does a 91 year old guy drive in his latest movie?

Hello,

Clint Eastwood plays a cowboy named Mike Milo. The opening scene of the film, shows the truck arriving at the ranch where he works. He plays country music and drives an old Chevrolet truck. Mike Milo’s truck is a 1947 Chevrolet pickup.
    upload_2022-1-15_5-39-6.png
    The truck is a standard cab, light green pickup. Milo’s truck has a floor mounted manual shifter. It looks a bit worn, bearing some patina on the chrome. But overall, it’s in surprisingly good shape after 30 years of service at the ranch.
    upload_2022-1-15_5-41-27.png
    This Chevrolet is one of the most popular pickup trucks of all time. It’s the perfect vehicle for Eastwood’s character.
    upload_2022-1-15_5-50-18.png
    He gives all of old guys a step in the right direction with his skills, cunning and poise. For an old guy, he is just a classic. His movie truck, is a classic, just like him.
    upload_2022-1-15_5-51-1.png

Jnaki

Throughout the movie, he has many episodes of car adventures.
    upload_2022-1-15_5-16-12.png a borrowed Ford Falcon

upload_2022-1-15_5-17-49.png another borrowed Ford Galaxie sedan

For an very old guy, he certainly gets around... "round, round, get around..." YRMV

williebill likes this.
  23. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

I'm looking forward to seeing that movie.

jnaki likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

25. 6sally6

6sally6

I get plenty of grief from my Wife talking about all the inaccuracies of submarines in movies. Hunt for Red October Crimson Tide etc.
    Stuff like that is very distracting when it's so blatant.
    I DO enjoy old Perry Mason TV ....mainly for the cars!;)
    As a kid I always liked the lines of 59 Fords & T-birds.:)
    6sally6

26. 8CDA768C-DC26-4038-ABDC-0D004FE2D985.jpeg 5EFF1FAF-45A1-4E93-ABA2-D44FA03EF3BB.jpeg
    Firm the 1979 film “The Onion Field”
    Based in 64. nice clean 46.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. Its on TCMs on demand

29. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorite movies, North By North West, although it had a few problems also. Cary grant gets shot & is put in a '56 Chevy Sedan Delivery & when it gets to it's destination it becomes a 2 door wagon, note the one piece tailgate & the two piece gate. 56 3.JPG 56 7.JPG

Jalopy Joker and chevy57dude like this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

There was a "period" movie shot close to here and my brother got on as an extra. His old beat up '89 pickup fit the time period so it got used too. As he was driving home, they flagged him in order to remove the magnetic license plates.