Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mounting Supreme Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Jan 11, 2022.

1. I hadn't noticed that these unilug Supremes dont have a indented step in for the washers, I had Unilug Keystones on 57and they had a step in for the washers to lock into place. Either way Definitely use the washers and make sure your wheels are torqued/ or tightened with a breaker bar after the are installed.

Also show us a pic of your car with them on!!!! I mean what the point on this thread without said wheels on said car.

egads, Bondo Slinger and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I purchased a set of vintage Rader 5 spokes for my 36 pickup. They were 5 x 4 3/4 bolt spacing. I needed 5 x 4 1/2 because I built to Ford wheel size due to the Ford 8" rearend. I took the wheels, correct shank lugnuts, the oval offset washers and a front hub to my favorite local machinist. He built a neat jig and drilled the wheels to the 4 1/2 BC and milled perfect oval recesses for the washers. I've since put 3000 mostly highway miles on them and they run great. I do check the torque before each road trip but haven't found any loose nuts yet. (Not counting the nut behind the wheel)

egads and abe lugo like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done it a couple of times for customers. It is a bit of work, but it works just fine.

It is much the same as what the wheel manufactures do when they build a unilug wheel, albeit with a different process.

I might set up and do this for a set of wheels that I have, because everyone wants them to be 5-on-5-1/2", and they are 5-on-5".

egads likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torque wrench. Proper torque is key.

Over-torqueing a lug nut can cup a washer, distort a wheel, damage a hub, or shear the stud.

VANDENPLAS, abe lugo and egads like this.
  5. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Here are a few different washers for mags, from little thin ones to nice 3/16 thick good ones. The chrome ones are Cragars and they have a convex shape to them with one side marked wheel side. The oblong ones are the type that would fit into the wheel. The oblong one with the conical seat is a ET style. And some American racing used those also. They used a lug with a short shank and a conical seat. Just some food for thought. IMG_0048 (1).JPG

Jalopy Joker, egads and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wheel in the photo has the oval hole but I thought there was a machined slot for the washer. The photo doesn’t seem to have one like I remember..

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've ran unilugs myself. Ran them hard and ran them fast, once seeing 136 mph for about 10 miles, I'm still here.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't know how "bad & terrible" they are, I wouldn't have driven with half of my friends in their cars, It's like anything it all depends on the person doing the work. Get someone that doesn't know or understand how to put a set of tires on or run a torque wrench when tightening the nuts and there will always be stories. You know, someone had a cousin who's uncle's neighbor's red headed step child's teacher put a set on their 40 ford and for no reason they came off running down the road at 45mph and almost died, and to top it off the teacher's great nephew's aunt's ex husband who worked at the shop at sears put them on so he had experience working with tires and knew what he was doing......

egads and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the correct washers and correct lug nuts with the right diameter and length of shanks it isn't a real problem.
    I'd have to agree that many of the guys busting tires at Les Schwab or other tire stores these days are way too young to have regularly seen a un-lug type wheel.
    If I remember right some of that type of wheel (brand ???) had a die cast piece that fit in the back side of the center with holes to locate the lug nuts and different pieces for different patterns.

9. [QUOTE="Dan Hay, post: 14345917, member: 3029.

Unilugs are fine, you really don't need the washers unless you don't like the look of the elongated slots on your cool wheels.[/QUOTE]

E26FCCBD-4307-41E8-80B2-44FFD42B57F7.gif

I , I don’t even know what to say ??????

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've ran the ET style Uni Lugs, never had any problems with them except the one time I sheared all the studs off on a rear axle, and I don't think it was the washers fault, more so I think they were over tightened at the tire shop. I've got a set out back I'd run today if they were a different style wheel, turbine wheels are so outta style anymore....

11. Here is a photo from tonight, sorry for the flash glare. So, they did install them with a torque wrench and not an impact. Also using the centered washers for this bolt pattern. So far Ive got about 50 miles on these rims, at least half of that being on the highway with no issues.

Attached Files:

TA DAD, VANDENPLAS and egads like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

View attachment 5285766

I , I don’t even know what to say ??????[/QUOTE]
    I took it as Dan meaning no need to run the offset washers, him thinking a small round washer would expose some of the hole.

13. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

14. Here’s a photo of the finished install 4307CD5D-8488-4A96-9889-2B26618C3A05.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2022
    Bondo Slinger likes this.