Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration We all like a nice rear end...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 7, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-11_4-23-32.png

Hello,

Most old trucks look pretty much the same from the back. A nice pickup bed, some smooth fenders and a good looking, chrome bumper. At first glance down a long driveway, this Dodge Pickup Truck looked like a Ford. (yes, I need glasses) But, as I zoomed in with my digital camera’s 20x power, it became obvious.

A full modified and custom Dodge Pickup Truck used as a daily driver. What luck for the digital camera and future files of old So Cal hot rods.

Jnaki

The color, to me, was a Root Beer Brown with some nice contrasting Black fenders. It was my first sighting and photos of an old Dodge Truck and it was a nice one to boot.

You meet the nicest surprises down a long alley way… with a clear telephoto lens.YRMV

Joe Blow, Dave Mc, TomT and 4 others like this.
  2. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

3. clem

clem

Nice, - not every day you see a ‘31 Pontiac......
    Where do we find the build thread ? Thanks!

4. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

Thanks. Sorry, no build thread, just random pictures on different threads when appropriate.

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  5. Photo by John Helmuth.
    C1AF264F-B9A9-4B5C-93BC-D946827D6F5E.JPG

edcodesign, Joe Blow, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  6. clem

clem

One last time........:oops:
    so I’ve gone through most of your posts looking for this car, and from what I have found it is very worthy of a build thread. You have done some very nice work. Be good to see it all in one thread!

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    -Brent-, Deuces, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  7. BDUB77

BDUB77

IMG_4845.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-27_3-56-21.png

Hello,

For as long as we have driven on these So Cal roads, it is always nice to see a good looking panel delivery van made into a cool hot rod. We had needs as So Cal surfers and space/privacy was always a commodity that was lacking in station wagons/large sedans. Station wagons were cool in that 5 people could travel to the beach with surfboards on top. But, if camping inside, privacy was barely a minimum arrangement, even with side/rear curtains.

A smaller 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was our own surf transportation. But, no one wanted to build up the inside of a cool sedan delivery, except to keep it stock or upholster it for warmth and sound proofing. But for surfers, it held two just to sleep with a cooler. So, the need for more space was a fact, but the surf transportation was something that had to be good looking and of course, cool.

Jnaki

We liked the larger panel delivery van from our days, due to the fact that it had tons of space. But, we were in the stage of not wanting to destroy a panel delivery with built in transformer beds, refrigerator, closets and a cooktop. It would have been the 1960 version of the current tall unwieldy “Sprinter Vans.” It did not work back then and who wants to spend so much for a huge block of metal rolling down the street or highways?

We are re-thinking the ready to go Sprinter Vans as they are rolling homes for camping and freedom to travel to just about anywhere. But, only if you like driving a huge commercial truck. Yes, standing up would have been nice in our sedan delivery or later on, vans. But, talk about being top heavy and just waiting for the next strong wind on a coastal road, gives me the shivers.

Besides, old hot rod panel trucks look so much better and have the built in cool factor. YRMV

Joe Blow, Stogy, Dave Mc and 7 others like this.
  9. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

They Look Good Going Away... 107700423_3610612225634164_6498615046385858098_n.jpg

clem, Hnstray, edcodesign and 15 others like this.
  11. A couple from Jalopyrama... and one of my brothers car. 20210508_124844.jpg 20210508_125237.jpg 728.jpeg

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-19_3-56-43.png

Hello,

My wife and I have always liked 1940 Fords. I owned a Flathead powered 40 Sedan Delivery in high school for my surf adventures.
    upload_2021-9-19_3-57-32.png
    That Flathead powered sedan delivery took me/us all over So Cal for 1000s miles of surf adventures without any major problems. It was one good way to get to those pristine waves. So, when college called, the sedan delivery got sold and then it was a red El Camino for the next 125k miles.

By the time I met and married my wife in college, she also liked hot rods… YES ! But, her idea of a hot rod was a nice convertible to get the idea of living in So Cal while cruising around up and down the coast line. We were ready to build something or buy something that was a base model, so we could do our own repairs or exchanges as we liked.

We found another red 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327 in it and bought it on the spot. It took many months to fix, correct and replace many things wrong with the build. It was a nightmare to drive down the street, except for the power it had.

After the red sedan delivery was fixed and safe, it was a hard time to see who got to drive the sedan delivery wherever we went. She wanted to drive to go shopping with her friends and I wanted to use it for photo shoots. She drove to the shopping center, but many times, I went along because shopping was a nice thing. A cool So Cal girl fashionably arriving in the only 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in the area. That was a photo shoot bar none.

Jnaki

Since those long ago times, we have always contemplated getting another old hot rod or station wagon for our family and adventures. No hot rod, but plenty of station wagons along the way. So, currently, with some extra cash still burning a hole in our account and minds, we were/are looking for another 1940 Ford Sedan… not a Sedan Delivery, but a Sedan. It could be a two door or because we like to drive with our granddaughter, like we have been since she was born, a 4 door with suicide rear doors.
    upload_2021-9-19_3-58-26.png
    This black sedan even had rims, small hubcaps and beauty trim rings like our own sedan deliveries. (Flathead and 327 powered after high school.)
    upload_2021-9-19_3-59-39.png
    The front opening back doors would certainly make it more easily accessible to get in and out anywhere. Then if that were the case, later on, our granddaughter could drive and we old folks have a front facing/opening door(s) for easier access as, “Driving Mr. and Mrs. Nak…” HA!

When my wife saw his cool looking 1940 Ford sedan, ideas started flowing into her brain and radioed over the brain waves to me to go check it out. It was a great car and build. But, it was not for sale. We can still settle for a two door sedan, too. We do like a nice rear end…

13. cstenz

cstenz
    from Tennessee

If I remember this is a 1960 Cadillac Fleetwood rag top. Absolutely the longest automobile ever in my shop. Also, I hand lettered this continental cover. Never remember seeing one of these on a Caddy. low life.jpg

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

15. El Mirage Garage

El Mirage Garage

16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

From the Dirt Drags.
    DSC00004.JPG

17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

18. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

19. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Stogy and 210superair like this.
  20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. cabong

cabong

My good friend's custom '50 Chevrolowster, which he bought new in 1950, in S.F. Calif. Rear was modified by Gene Winfield. Way too many mod's to enumerate..... Leland left us a few years ago, but few will forget him. He was a jewel of a man...... Some will remember that a friend and I restored this smoothster a while back, documented on the HAMB.... Done Chev 018.JPG

22. Slick34

Slick34

23. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

... looks fat in flat black.

Totally complementary.

Hamtown Al, Thor1 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ricky. It's always flattering to have my rear end admired;).

Hamtown Al, Lil32 and Rickybop like this.
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only around you guys.

hotrodjack33 likes this.