Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 M47 pickup. Basement barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MTL Tony, Dec 15, 2021.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photo of the 2 different starter plates. I have a file of all kinds of bell housing and starter plate info but can't upload it. starter plates 1.jpg

Budget36, dwollam, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Nothing like bringing home an old vehicle that's been disassembled many year previous. It's like a giant model kit! Looks like you're having fun with it!

Devin

Stogy, Okie Pete and MTL Tony like this.
  3. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Oh if it's the file that's online in pdf I found that and have it saved as a reference! It's got like a bajillion pics of all the bellhousings and starter plates and is so incredibly useful!

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's it. When I saved it I didn't save the link, just a copy of the file. Good for me but can't send it to anyone else. Glad you found it.

MTL Tony likes this.
  5. atch

atch

...and the link is???????????

Stogy likes this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if this works
    file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/Flatheadbellhousing.pdf
    You need to copy and paste it to the address bar and then it should open. At least it did for me.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.
  9. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Yeah sorry I also downloaded it and didn't remember where I found it, but it's very informative! That link above is indeed the same one I was talking about.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a surprise it's here where Flatheads are King to a large degree...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    warhorseracing and MTL Tony like this.
  11. Carter, Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  12. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Success!!!
    Went into the garage today and attached the rear leaf springs and axle. The truck is now sitting on all four of its own wheels. It kind of fought me the entire time, those little pins that hold everything in place are a bunch of jerks to get lined up juuuuust right. I'll likely replace them when I redo/refresh the leaf springs, but the goal for now is to get it going so I can make a proper list of what I need.

The next step is going to be to hear the motor run for a couple seconds with out exhaust. So I wanna attach the flywheel and clutch and everything to do that. I suspect it's going to be a bit slower than everything has gone so far but it's gonna go!
    Here's some pics!
    PXL_20220109_225230428.jpg PXL_20220109_225221016.jpg PXL_20220109_225208657.jpg PXL_20220109_225136365.jpg

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jesus, I know where Sasquatch is!

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Why the hell is he in Montreal? He’s supposed to be living around Harrison Hot Springs in B.C. !

But his truck is going together well...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  15. VICTORY! That frame looks like it has fresh paint on it. Or is it primer?

That is pretty good but you do stay warmer.:D Hope it didn't offend you because you look like you could squish some of us old guys.:oops: Remember though. We don't fight fair.:rolleyes: That's how we stay old.:cool:

Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  16. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

looks to be painted to me! no rust anywhere on it either.
    if the timing works out I will likely be painting it all black before pulling it out just to get another coat on it, and so its black.
    and no offense taken at all! seven years ago i stopped cutting my hair and now here i am.
    that pic must be deceiving im a whopping 140lbs soaking wet and 5'5"....

17. loudbang

loudbang

ROFLMFAO.jpg

Stogy, egads, '28phonebooth and 2 others like this.
  18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I could grow hair like that I wouldn't cut it either!

ottoman, 210superair, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  19. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

heres a question for folks that I haven't looked to hard for an answer for yet.
    I have to pull the trans off to install the flywheel and clutch soon.
    Is there a panel i can pull off "easily" on the trans to just take a look at all the gears to see their general condition, or is this opening up an unnecessary can of worms?
    This kind of plate exists on motorcycle transmissions, and my dart theres a plate on the bottom to adjust the bands.

replacing a gasket to do this is no big deal. I also put it into every gear and was able to turn the drive shaft mount and you could feel it engaging in every gear and rolling smoothly, but a visual inspection would be nice if it is possible.
    i've got a three speed manual on it.

Stogy likes this.
  20. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Another little quick update.
    Just picked these puppies up from the print shop (bought the PDF versions), I've got the print version of the Body manual on its way from eBay too.
    I'll for sure be needing all of these for the days ahead. PXL_20220110_201841633.jpg

21. Budget36

Budget36

If it’s a 3 speed put it in neutral and pull the shift tower off, straight. Should get a good look at everything

22. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Stogy, 55 Ford Gasser and Budget36 like this.
  23. MTL must stand for Mercury Truck Lover.

24. Spend a weekend with your new manuals... you'll learn a LOT of good stuff!

MTL Tony and warhorseracing like this.
  25. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

yup. now that I have them in print I can actually dig through them!
    i had them in digital files and it was too much of a hassle to flip through on my phone in the garage to find the one thing i needed. always been a bigger fan of print.

Stogy likes this.
  26. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I'm expecting a lot of packages in the next two days but this one takes the cake!!!!

So stoked to have found this. I messaged a guy selling hubcaps because this was in the background and less than a week later it's in my hands!
    A couple small repairs to make but I could run it as it sits without hesitation.

PXL_20220112_181439165.jpg

27. Handsome pup!

28. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Nice junkyard dog and the tailgate is a fine example. Wish when I had my 39 pickup the tail gate was that good when I got it

29. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Spent a couple hours at the garage organizing so I can have a work surface that isn't the floor.
    Figured out oil lines for the motor and realized I don't have an oil line reducer anywhere in my pile of parts. I'll hit up napa tomorrow but it doesn't look like the Canadian website offers the weatherhead reducer that folks have recommended. so this could set me back a couple weeks to fire off the motor til I get that part in.
    I can still plumb and wire everything else, and also get my brake lines routed in the mean time.

Here's a pic of the garage. Hard to tell but it is actually tidied up.
    PXL_20220113_011015137.jpg

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My memories short but have you lubed the cylinders and checked that the motor is free...I've heard transmission fluid does a nice job and perhaps something that can fog inside the cylinders as well...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    MTL Tony and warhorseracing like this.