Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford parallel leaf springs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nithburg, Dec 5, 2021.

1. nithburg

nithburg

Hi guys,
    I'm building a 40 Tudor sedan and want to go to parallel leaf spring rear suspension. I have a Mopar a-body rear end with a perch to perch width of 43". What springs would you guys suggest I use? The a-body springs seem too long and the S10 springs I have seem too "tall".
    Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  2. CruZer

CruZer

Mine had 57 Chevy springs. Of course I used a 57 Chevy rear end.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I used the parallel rear spring kit from Chassis Engineering bought thru Heidts.under my 40 coupe. They ride great. Little pricey but a bolt in.

4. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chassis Engineering kits are nice, but sit too tall. Need lowering blocks. 40 ragtop sells a kit and tells you what springs to buy (think they're Dodge truck springs). His bracketry goes up inside the chassis instead of under. He does nice work, and his stuff is reasonably priced. @40ragtopdown is the guy to talk to.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  5. Back in '58 I put a '50 Merc rear end and springs in my '40. If I remember right, the width was fine and didn't even have to move the spring perches. Right wheel bolt pattern too.

504640 and nithburg like this.
  6. Crocodile

Crocodile

The design with the spring fronts inside the chassis, I believe, are from Dale at Weedetr Street Rods. I had a really nice conversation with him at the 41st Forty Ford birthday party this September. He is a very knowledgeable man, with good sense. I would direct you to him, as that is where I am headed in the future.

7. Crocodile

Crocodile

Anyone with a plasma table can mimic someone's design, but I doubt they would have the knowledge to share and assist as the original designer.

nithburg likes this.
  8. A lot of Chrysler springs are set up with a longer rear length(past the center pin). If you have a spring shop nearby, you can have them re-roll the rear eye to get the length you want.

Tow Truck Tom and nithburg like this.
  9. 40Vert

40Vert

Stock springs from 65 to 71 dodge truck front work with the CE brackets.

Eaton makes an awesome spring replacement kit for the CE, way better.

Also, I’m currently running a CE kit in my sedan, and the Weedetr kit in my convertible. Both are excellent quality.

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good info above. I have done 2 40s with the kits from Chassis Eng. The springs have plastic sliders between the leaves which gives a nice ride. I also recommend the rear stabilizer bar from them.

11. Weedetr is on here (Weedburner 40) and I'm planing to use his kit on the rear of my '47.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I didn't build a lot of reproduction 35-40 customer chassis but probably did 30+ with parallel CE kits and never had a customer complaint about ride height or ride. Weedeater also has a nice kit.

olscrounger and nithburg like this.
  13. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

What about "Posies" rear set up? I've used two of them and they are great. No lowering blocks needed. Two different ride height options with the kit.

Tow Truck Tom, nithburg and RICH B like this.
  14. Here's a couple pictures of Posies stuff under a '40 Tudor. It sat nice out of the box.
    front.jpg rear.jpg ride h.jpg

The CE kits in my '47 and '35 both required blocks to sit right. Also, had to move the axle on the mounts to center the wheel.

initial height.jpg lowered.jpg moved.jpg

There's tech on here about using Chev AD truck front springs and hangers that looks OK too.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/low-buck-rear-springs-for-35-40-fords.557363/

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I agree with the blocks on a CE kit, I used 2 inch blocks on my 40. I used an adjustable block from Speedway to get the wheelbase right. I never tried the Posie kit but it looks easy to install.

16. 4tford

4tford

Here's my 40 with CE spring kit and ford torino 9 inch rear.

1940 FORD 101902 004 (1).jpg

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Just as a point of information,
    the drum to drum surface wheel mounting measurement on a stock 40 Ford rear is 59 1/2 in.

18. I got my kit from CE about 27 years ago.......came with Dodge truck springs...at least that's what CE told me.

19. Weedetr, Sold and installed a lot years ago....That's what my 39 rides on...

20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Not only is Weedeter’s kit well made, you can discuss all areas of your build with Dale, the owner. Very knowledgeable and super nice guy.

21. nobby

nobby

hello........
    IF you plan on using a 8 or 9 inch axle with 2 3/4'' tubes instead of a 3'' tube
    with rear parrallel leaves
    search
    dana 44 spring perch
    note that when fitted to a jeep they sit on top of the axle.
    notice that on some of them the distance from the leaf pack to the axles circle is greater than others - in effect lifting the suspension
    -so when you fit them to the bottom of your 8 or 9, it negates the need for a lowering block.
    [​IMG]
    its only about 1/2 -5/8th inch
    also they are hard to find anyway @ 2 3/4
    some 8'' have the big locating hole for rubber isolators,
    when using the (thicker) spring perch / saddle, you can run a stock spring/shock mount too !!

I think the main leaf of them eye to eye is four feet - 48 inches 1220mm
    the pin is in the middle
    the width is 2.5''

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  22. flatjack

flatjack

This is my 39 with the CE kit. No blocks.

23. Mimilan

Mimilan

Most manufacturers do this. The total length is part of the stiffness equation.

But locating the spring perch closer to the fixed hanger will control axle torque reaction and thrust. I have seen the results of turning the springs around to lengthen the wheelbase resulting in uncontrollable wheel hop.

Racer's have known this for years, so a common mod was to add an extra 1/2 leaf as a traction aid [this doesn't stiffen the spring rate]

Another Chrysler trick [and most manufacturers] was to mount the rear spring eyes a lot higher. This results in the front eye to spring perch being horizontal.
    This ^^^ is needed to control the wheelbase lengthening under compression [resulting in roll oversteer]

upload_2022-1-13_10-56-16.png

Crawl under any factory leaf spring set-up and you will notice this [you can't unsee it once you know]
    It is also why single axle trailers are prone to swaying [and using trailer springs is not recommended for parallel leafs on a car]

Robert J. Palmer, RICH B and rod1 like this.
  24. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

You cant beat the ones that 40 ragtop down,i have used a set on a 46 2 door and a set on a 39 2 door. The price is better than other sets.

mcsfabrication likes this.
  25. Just.dale

Just.dale

Almost three months since I ordered my Posies kit for my 36, I guess that’s the world we live in now?? So much for the winter project.

26. SteveMaine

SteveMaine

I just recieved the spring kit from Speedway. Ordered Tues. at 10 AM and got them Thurs at noon. Looks pretty simple to instal.

Just.dale likes this.
  27. nobby

nobby

who has bought all the d100 front 1'' OD by 1/2'' ID - 2.5'' wide stock style bushings from rock auto?
    ggggrrrrrrr

28. I used rear springs and hangers/shackles from an '80 Isuzu pickup with the '74 Camaro 10 bolt rear in the '38 Ford pickup, basically the same frame as your '40. Didn't have to move the spring pads on the Camaro rear.

29. 3wmike

3wmike

I used Chassie Engineerings kit, but I think the car got far to high. I`ve put 3 inch lowering blocks but that´s not enough so I concider taking off some blades and putting air bags between spring and frame