Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds Powered '29 Roadster Build. Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I bought a pair of Edelbrock Valve covers from Joe back in '84.

2. Marty, I have 2 good used pistons in the shop. Might be a 324 or maybe 303. I will check tomorrow.
    54 blocks ran from V10001 to V355083 so Paul's notes are certainly correct.

bchctybob, loudbang, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I have at least one old Ford trans with little notches filed right where those adapter bolts go.

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ooooh, I hate to grind on Jim's beautiful trans case, but I will consult the boss !

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thank you for checking.

Six Ball, bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Last few sets I bought were forged from Ross,
    never bought singles.
    Edit: I thought I might have a used piston for you but I was mistaken. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Six Ball, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For now, I decided to minimally grind the trans case, and grind the heads of the Allen bolts down. I could have put them in the lathe, but since this is temporary, I stuck them in a drill, and spun them while the belt sander ran. I just had to accessorize the engine, for inspiration, while building. I have had the Edelbrock and Moon stuff since 1984, and my friend Ron Urback did the polishing 30 years ago. IMG_8265.JPG IMG_8267.JPG IMG_8268.JPG IMG_8269.JPG IMG_8270.JPG IMG_8271.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've had to do a lot of "machining" like that since I sold my lathe Marty.

OFT, Tim_with_a_T, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  9. Marty, I do have 2 decent used 324 pistons that came from my '54 build. You are welcome to them, pay the postage and they are yours if you want them.
    324pistons.jpg

OFT, Just Gary, J. A. Miller and 10 others like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I sent you a PM, with address, thank you very much !!!!!!

11. atch

atch

How 'bout that? Two pistons taking up shelf space in Vermont that are needed in Oregon! The power of the H.A.M.B.

Thank you Ryan.

Oh; and one more thing. Thank you Marty for all the cool stuff you post.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Love seeing the power of the HAMB come through. Good people everywhere.

While we're on the topic of pistons and rods combinations, I have been wracking my brain to try to think up a combination of parts that would work with the Olds from the other makes. The Olds engines are insanely tough, but I feel like shaving some weight off of the rotating assembly would go a long way in helping one these things rev. Utilizing a more modern rod and piston design would achieve those ends while likely increasing strength. The best of both worlds.

The stock 324 is a 3.875" bore, and can be overbored .125" to 4" for 345ci of Olds goodness. 4" in a common bore size, being that of the 327 and 350 Chevy. The problem with the Chevy pistons is that the compression height is much too low. Folks often say to use a 371 Olds piston in the 324, which is also a 4" bore, and has a slight bump in compression height. Compression height for the 324 is 1.875", and the 371 is 1.895". However, the SBC piston has a compression height of less than 1.6" so thats not going to work.

On the other end, I think a Pontiac rod, 6.625", would work in the Olds, though it may have to be narrowed a bit. It also shares the same pin size as the Chevy piston. It seems the answer is a set of custom pistons that would essentially be 350 Chevy pistons with an abnormally tall compression height. But that sort of defeats the purpose of doing this quick and dirty with readily available parts from other makes.

John Edwards of Costa Mesa R&D machined Chevy pistons to fit in an Olds 394, which of course uses a different rod (7"), but I don't know what pistons they are, and I don't know what rod package he put together to use them. Unfortunately, John passed away and took that knowledge with him. Here is a video he was kind enough to upload.

If anybody has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it. I certainly don't mean to highjack Marty's killer thread here, just thinking this info might be pertinent to both this build and others.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Joe, for posting that video, everyday that passes by, we loose precious information from those who have done this stuff for years.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That Is "traditional" but back then it was easier to find good used parts. Thanks you Marty for having the status and the confidence to post on a very popular thread that you are willing to stick a previously owned piston in your hot rod engine. I was just talking with a friend a few days ago about how many engines I have rebuilt needlessly just because I could. This feels real!

loudbang, HemiDeuce and Stogy like this.
  15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

A Chevrolet 283 piston has a 1.805" compression height. This would be the same for a 301.
    The piston in the video looks to be from a BBC. 366?

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

2014-10-31 205027.jpg
    Tom, funny you should mention it being traditional swapping out a used piston. Back in '65, I was a 16 year old kid, with a 49 Olds Fastback, with a 54 -324 and Hydro. There was a 1/4 mile marked off about a mile from our house in the country, called Peavine Rd. We used to go there to do some racing, or just open it up on that mile long straightaway. Well, me and a buddy were hauling it, and around 90 it started vibrating and rattling. So I slowly drove it back to the house, as it had plenty of oil pressure. I assumed it was a piston, so I pulled the heads, and couldn't see anything wrong. I pulled the valley cover, and found small pieces of piston, so I went ahead and dropped the pan. It was a broken skirt, and the cylinder wall looked fine. So, I did what anyone without any money would do back then,, I went to a nearby wrecking yard. The owner said, "yeah, there is short block laying on it's side out between some junk cars". It was a 324, so I pulled a rod and piston out, went home and slid it in, rings and all. That thing didn't smoke, and the Olds was as fast as ever. So I am going to take up the offer, and when the pistons arrive, I will have my machinist, bring a dial bore gauge, and check the clearances. Since it had been in a boat, and not a lot of use, I may be usable as is.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    48fordnut, Blues4U, brEad and 13 others like this.
  17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    A dial bore gauge isn't traditional. Just slip some feeler gauges in and check the clearance. My old buddy John used to say, "Loose is FAST!:D

loudbang, bchctybob, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

That IS old school! At least use inside calipers, and a mic...

But it does work in a pinch.

And the corollary to loose is fast, is they run best just before they blow up!

19. I have a bunch of stock pistons out of 54 and 55 Olds blocks. All standard bore. I'll have a look this weekend and could pop one in the mail to you.

alanp561, loudbang, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  20. I've seen a bunch of transmissions that were notched at the bell housing to accommodate the bolts.

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I don't remember having to notice the trans when I put the 303 in my '38 coupe.

Across the street from my girlfriend in high school there was another girl not near as pretty but she had a beautiful Maroon '50 Olds coupe her big brother had built for her. I thought of changing girl friends but her brother didn't like me. He was in his early 20s and big. My friend started dating her and the brother kicked his ass. I just stuck with my pretty girl for a while. That was a nice Olds but not worth the cost. :D

48fordnut, alanp561, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That was traditional to get beat up sometimes, but someone decided it was cooler to use the term "beat down" !

Stogy and Hotrodmyk like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Speedy, @vtwhead is looking into sending me a couple, I will let you know if I need one.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

@vtwhead, thanks Walt, I picked up the pistons at the Post Office today, they look great, thanks again. Now, I will get my machinist buddy to check the piston to wall clearance, and hopefully it will pass muster. One way or the other, I will swap the mount on the trans, and get ready to set the engine in place tomorrow. I needed to form a hood for the Track Roadster thread this evening.

25. Glad to see them go to a good use rather than taking up space on my shelf. They have been there for almost 10 yrs:rolleyes:

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I changed the trans mount to fit the 32 chassis, and got the package set in place. Look Maw, no firewall work needed ! Front engine mounts are next. IMG_8325.JPG IMG_8326.JPG IMG_8328.JPG IMG_8329.JPG IMG_8330.JPG

27. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Looks like a fan just might clear.nice

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The radiator will have to be forward of the front crossmember, similar to the Sam Conrad '29.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am at a stopping place until I locate the proper parts to connect the torque tube to the 32 mount. Everything I have worked on has been 37-48 and I don't have what I need. I did install a main leaf on a hollow QC with 37-40 housings, for the ease of setup, to determine the length of the torque tube. Much easier that fighting the complete rear axle assy, with 35-36 arms, that I will be using. IMG_8331.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8336.JPG IMG_8337.JPG Edit: I thought the pivot cup was different, but it does fit after all !!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    kidcampbell71, brEad, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

With the rear axle in place at near ride height, and my "stub" torque tube attached, and swung to the proper angle, I measure the distance from the face of the QC, to the groove on the tube. I measure at the centerline. The groove is 22" from the bell, and the dimension from the groove to the face is 30-7/8", added together, is 52-7/8". The stock torque tube I have measures 71-7/8", so I will shorten it 19". IMG_8339.JPG IMG_8340.JPG IMG_8343.JPG