Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for information on 1936 Ford Phaeton / Joe Passalaqua - Bay Area, CA, 1960's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ironandsteele, Jan 4, 2022.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

No worries if not! Thank you.

Stogy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Budget36 likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@hotrodjack33, my apologies it was the Bobby Green episode but there was another place they went to and this is a screengrab I got of it and it is indeed a Carson Topped 36...

upload_2022-1-9_0-44-19.png

Stogy Likes...;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work. Yep @Stogy , That's the one I saw...but I see it isn't a real Phaeton. It appears to be built from a Fordor Sedan, as it has suicide rear doors.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye Jack its a nice one though and it never became a topic of discussion either...

The Venders name was Mike and he had a Almond Farm in Cali...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. From the unique hood and grille trim, I believe that is the car being asked about

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fella may still have it but the location is not listed in the show or online but a call or email to The Pickers may yield a phone # or address...the show was in 2021 I believe...

8. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Hot Rod magazine, from the late 50's early 60's, had a write up of a fellow with several 36 Fords, including one with a Pines trim. Although he seemed to be in his 40's or 50's back then. It might be the issue with Bill Bendix and the "34" from "The Life Of Riley "on the cover.

Stogy likes this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing!!! 3 cars in the same thread with the Pines accessory hood/grille trim. 50 years in the hobby, and I've never seen a set in person...they must all be on the West Coast:mad:. I'd give my left nut for a set;).

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Put down the knife! Do a Google search, there was a Pines set on eBay that didn't get an opening bid of $2,150.

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I have a perfect set of Fulton hood trim pieces on another car that came off of eBay, they didn't make it past $700 there.. eBay is so hit and miss.

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't aware Fulton made a set as well.
    Does it look similar to the Pines?

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

No, they are just two little swoopy pieces that go on the leading edge of the hood.
    4D23C0DC-1912-4C0A-8F96-7DF5C424FBFB.jpeg

F4BAFD94-18A4-4D86-9516-37D1C7871763.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @ironandsteele. Too cool. You can see from my avatar...I LIKE accessories:D. Now I'll be dreaming of finding (and affording) both Pines AND the Fulton 1936 parts;)

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940, Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice 3 window by the way:cool:

Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  17. cabong

cabong

Life is interesting.... I had a call last night from the current owner of the Mark Mist by Joe Wilhelm, and he is having the critter cleaned up and brought up to running status, with the nailhead engine. The paint is still as it was in this show program. Ironically, the original color was a pearl light blue, and then Joe painted it a dark purple. He got so much static from Mariam, his wife, that after just a couple days, he scuffed it and sprayed the silver pearl. In the right light, you can still see the purple beneath. I had the pleasure of saving this puppy from a garage in North Shore Tahoe after Joe passed, and bringing it back into world of customs. It was in a 3 way trade that Kurt McKormick got the '41 Cad that is so stunning. Mrs. Wilhelm got a new car.

Ironically, the yellow Corvette on the R&C cover was on a used car lot in Belmont, CA back in the mid 60's, and me without the proverbially pot......

18. Darkhorse

Darkhorse

The Fulton trim for the '36 hood is commonly referred to as Fulton Feathers.

Stogy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. I love this Phaeton/ such a great time capsule...one these days I'll luck into some Fulton Feathers for my 36 3w...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  20. JOE PASSALAQUA was a hit man for the mobs John Gotti, might be this one, maybe not?

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Suddenly I have a vision of the 36 winding round the corner mobsters on the running boards tommy guns a blazin'...:eek:

Maybe there's some loose ammo and things hiding under the seat and behind the interior panels...

Outback likes this.
  22. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Same name, different guy.

Stogy likes this.
  23. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

The pines trim reminds me of the nearly identical trim that was on the So Cal Plating '35 Phaeton-delivery that disappeared, never to be seen again. Beautiful Phaeton, wish you luck in your quest for information. Sure you want to change the wheels though?

Stogy likes this.
  24. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

A few people have asked me that about the wheels. They aren't terrible, and have been on the car forever, but they're just not totally my style. I'm going to put 6.00-16's on it and run Lyon's caps. But I will keep the ones that are on it set aside to keep them with the car.
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wheels are period correct to this by the pics...they're actually a nice looking wire...Joe sure liked them eh...perhaps a package deal...:D

Your plan sounds very fitting as well...can't wait to see it...

26. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Good choice to keep the wheels with the car IMHO. That way You can change up the look if you so choose. Hope you find more history.

Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  27. While searching for "vintage" photos of your '36 Phaeton, I came across this bit of info:

Joseph B. Passalaqua was born on May 1st 1928.
    Joseph lived in San Francisco, California 94112, USA.
    Joseph passed away on May 25th 1992, at age 64.
    ... so yes, he passed away AND the Joe Passalaqua of Escondido, California (who owns & restored the Smirnoff AA/FD) is definitely not the Joe "Rebel" Passalaqua of San Francisco, California (who originally built & owned your '36 Phaeton).

That all stated, I'll keep searching through my father's '60s Hot Rodding photo & slide archives for pics of the Passalaqua '36 Phaeton ... 'cuz we moved to the SF Bay Area in 1963 ... and Dad took hundreds (maybe thousands) of pics of Bay Area Rods & Customs between '63 and '70-'71 (when the Phaeton had made its way to Portland).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    kidcampbell71, Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  28. Could the dragster owner be the son of Joe, as in Joe Jr.?

The Jr usually gets dropped sometime after Sr passes.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Most likely not the son ... but maybe the grandson ... as the Joe Passalaqua that restored the Smirnoff AA/FD cackle car is a younger man (i.e., mid to late 40s).

pprather and Stogy like this.
  30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I really appreciate you looking through your father's archives!

HEMI32 and Stogy like this.