Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 Drum help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novaskilling, Jan 11, 2022.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

Ive got myself confused and second guessing part numbers. Ive got 39 round back spindles that are sporting 48-52 f1 backing plates loaded with 66 f100 self adjusting brakes. What brake drums do i buy? thanks!

2. The drums match the hub. If you have F1 hubs then F1 drums.

3. novaskilling

novaskilling

They’ll work just fine with the 66 internals?

4. If you have '48-'52 F-1 hubs use '80 Bronco REAR drums.

If you have '53-'56 F-100 hubs use '53--'62 F-100 drums.

The backing plate assemblies are the same from '48-'56 and the addition of later model self-adjusting stuff doesn't change things.

Kiwi 4d, joel and Andy like this.

5. novaskilling

novaskilling

This is the answer i was looking for! Thank you so much!

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

I love it when someone throws together a "Frankenstein" mixture of parts then expects us, with incomplete information and a total lack of photographs, to tell them if their ill-conceived mechanical concoction will work or not.

It would help if we knew what type of hub you used, the distance between the hub face and the backing plate, the width of the shoes, the list goes on and on, but based on what you have told us my advice would be to try a front brake drum from a '66 Ford pickup. Good luck on finding something that will work.

7. novaskilling

novaskilling

Got the answer I needed from
    Someone already thanks for the rude response

deathrowdave and razoo lew like this.
  8. junkman8888

junkman8888

You came here wanting a quick, easy and reliable answer to your problem. The information you were given was quick and easy (on your part), unfortunately, it is now time for you to find out if that information is reliable. When you do eventually find a brake drum that will work, please remember to post the results on this thread so we can all learn from your experience.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  9. Seriously! Early F series pick-up brakes on round-back Ford spindles are a "Frankenstein" mix. I'll have to remember that.

10. For those challenged by the lack of pictures; Here's one of a F-1 backing plate with later model (like '66) self-adjusting components and another of a F-1 hub and backing plate on an early Ford spindle with an '80 Bronco rear drum.
    F-1 self-adjusting L-H (Medium).jpg bronco drum on.JPG

John Heckman, Andy, razoo lew and 2 others like this.
  11. Exact set up on the front of my 39. man does it work great and way cheaper than buying thos repop F1 drums that need turned true before you even run them.

12. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Don’t forget that they are also I’ll-conceived….

13. junkman8888

junkman8888

I will stand by what I have posted, with one exception. I called novasskilling's collection of parts "ill-conceived" for a reason; there are two approaches to life, one is to do the research by collecting information from knowledgeable sources before making an educated, informed decision, the other approach is to "just do it", to take the plunge without foresight or preparation, then when all is lost, ask for help. In other words it's not the choice of parts I call into question, it's novaskilling's approach to problem solving.

I found it interesting that several of this website's most esteemed members were offended by my use of hyperbole, as in the phrase "Frakenstein mixture of parts". This is what is referred to as "artistic license", it allows writers to stretch the truth like a rubber band while, if done properly, also allows us scoundrels to avoid any legal repercussions for our actions. In other words, if you take me too seriously, you do so at your peril.

My one misstep on my original post was my advice to try a '66 Ford brake drum, I now revise that advice, and offer as an olive branch a hopefully better choice in a 1985 Ford pickup rear drum. As the center register fits a F-1 hub and it is made for 2" shoes, it is a possible candidate.

Once again, I humbly request that novaskilling post the results of his search on this post so we can all benefit by what he finds.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  14. alchemy

alchemy

I prefer to collect the parts first, then the information. That way I am sure to have lots of spares for the next project. ;)

RICH B, Joel W, brokenspoke and 2 others like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Rich didn’t seem to have an issue providing proper info for the OP.