Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mikeys53

mikeys53
    from Pacific NW

I have a complete set up with 6 carbs for sale , see ad on the Hamb

loudbang likes this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

3. dutchman

dutchman

Hi there,

I would like to add #2287 to this registry.

It appears to be the only dual inlet Weber carb late model supercharger ever seen. This 10 stage blower was built by Richard Paul to run under the lowest hood clearance. It is plumbed for nitrous and flows more than most engines can use.

Is this the only one in existence? I was told that five were made, but two of the others have the one inlet blocked off. The others are still unaccounted for.

The number would indicate that this supercharger was one of his last. I am curious to know more about it if anyone can provide more information. Who ran this crazy thing? It was on a show car for part of it’s life and sat on a garage wall for the last five years of ten that the previous owner had it for.

In between those times, Richard bought it back from the individual it was made for and sold it to the man I bought it from. Originally, the story goes, it was never sold. Richard felt the need to take it back and then sold it ten years ago to it’s first actual purchaser, if you don’t count it’s maker.

I have heard that eventually these things would allow 2800cfm in the largest version. Whether this is true has not been confirmed.

There has been so much concern over the historical versions built by mr. Latham himself and such a lack of info on these performance versions...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. dutchman

dutchman

5. loudbang

loudbang

Little easier on the eyes. :)

1.JPG

Deuces, mgtstumpy, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  6. dutchman

dutchman

Hi SnoDawg,
    I realized that I had not replied to your question and it has been a long time. I measured mine and it is 8 29/32" outside diameter. So nearly nine inches. I believe that Richard specified 8.81" but that may be for the belt groove.

Did you find one yet or get someone to make you one? Mine is for a small block Chevy, but has the three holes like the Ford I am putting it onto.

loudbang likes this.
  7. dutchman

dutchman

Did you sell this supercharger yet, or is it still in your possession?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

Sorry the supercharger has been sold.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Clark

Clark

IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2015.jpg

Just bought number 1439. No clue of its history. Tag is facing the wrong way. And the brackets are crude. Still cool

Deuces, LAROKE, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

^^^Wow that manifold set-up is cool^^^

12. Metalman2

Metalman2

loudbang likes this.
  13. Metalman2

Metalman2

I am new to this site. I am in the process of doing a restoration/rebuild of rare Glasspar G2. One of the things I plan to include is this Lantham axial supercharger. Will send you some pictures. I saw that there seems to be a registry. Would highly value your thoughts. Great site.

Attached Files:

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. Metalman2

Metalman2

Thanks for your response. Was wondering about the model and serial number. My unit say model 16-A and serial number 00145 on the tag, where do I find the other numbers?

loudbang likes this.
  15. Metalman2

Metalman2

Sorry,need to correct myself on the serial number. It is 001145

loudbang likes this.
  16. Metalman2

Metalman2

Has anyone seen these latham manifold pressure gauges before? I am assuming that they were made by Stewart Warner.

Attached Files:

Deuces and continentaljohn like this.
  17. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

They definitely look like Stewart Warner gauges. I've never seen them before. I believe the pressure gauge would be for fuel pressure. He also had gauges made with one being a combo for manifold pressure and vacuum and the other for fuel pressure. The fuel pressure gauge was especially useful when a supercharger was shipped with the Carter YH carburetors (like on early 6 cylinder Corvettes) since the original ones with a brass needle and seat were very sensitive to fuel pressure.

dutchman, loudbang and LAROKE like this.
  18. dutchman

dutchman

Looking for a Latham intake for my FE powerplant. Can anyone help me out?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Well the dreaded death of my hard drive happened and I lost the excel file of the registry. I hadn't backed up my excel files as I had the other folders. So other than paper copies of non-HAMB Latham's the registry no longer exists. Now consider this thread the Registry.
    It seems to cost around $600 and up to recover data from a non-functioning hard drive.
    I'll change the title to read Latham Photos and Information.
    Movin/on

loudbang likes this.
  20. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sorry to hear that. As the IT manager of a small firm, I feel your pain. Been there, done that and there's no guarantee that all the files can be recovered. Only worth the attempt if it is critical to business. Thanx for all your past efforts.

seb fontana, dutchman and loudbang like this.
  21. dutchman

dutchman

Thank you for all your time and effort documenting Latham info and keeping track for everyone's benefit. I would like to contribute to your recovery fund to make sure all can be retrieved properly. Please let me know how I can help.

loudbang likes this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2021-4-3_21-32-33.png
    upload_2021-4-4_11-34-37.png
    FE Latham on E-Bay now. I believe that I'd previously seen this set up some time ago?

23. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That is a cool piece. From what I've read on Latham superchargers, the performance increase is excellent. They sure look trick.
    The biggest challenge will be getting 4 YH carbs to all cooperate. They are good carbs but can be temperamental.
    That set up will be sweet.

loudbang likes this.
  24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

25. mbailey

mbailey

I see the plug wires sneaking out from under the supercharger so I'm pretty sure there's a distributor there somewhere. Is it stock? I have a Latham I want to put on a Lincoln engine but the front mount distributor had me buffaloed. I'm wondering if there is room. . . .

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Yes that is a Ford FE engine with the distributor in the front.

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I am suffering from some rare form of blower envy.

29. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

This is a pretty small segment of the population, just know you've found others suffering. :eek:

Jet96, Deuces, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  30. flamed34

flamed34

Just bought a 57 Fuelie convertible. The original owner drag raced it until it was parked around 1963 and it's loaded with speed parts (headers with block offs, Delco 411 shocks, tach and SW gauges, new Crane cam and Crane built heads still in boxes, battery in trunk, tubular traction bars, etc).
    With the car I got a new in original box Latham #1348, all pulleys, new belt, manifold and adapters, linkage, and Carter YH carbs.
    I'd love to figure out year it was bought...box says $400

Attached Files:

Jet96, LAROKE, Deuces and 2 others like this.