Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HAVE YOU EVER INHERITED A HOT ROD OR CUSTOM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

Hope to someday inherit my dad's 33. Picture is from a local roll in last summer.
    102921 006.jpg

3W JOHN, hrm2k, little red 50 and 2 others like this.
  2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I've been given several hand me down late models, but nothing cool. However, after losing a good friend unexpectedly a while back, the wife and I sat down and made some decisions. We have 5 kids, only the oldest is into cars. He will end up with all my automotive stuff. He knows what it is and how to use it.

Devin

3W JOHN, Rickybop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

My older brother and I ended up living 1500 miles apart. He had been accumulating early Ford parts for some time and was building a T-V8 when he passed from pancreatic cancer. I had no idea how much stuff he had but I knew I had to go sort it out and see what I could do to sell it off for his lady friend/partner. Long story short, after four days of sorting, loading and trailering it all down to the Charlotte auto fair I was able to sell off a few thousand dollars for her of some really neat early Ford parts that probably would have been hauled away for scrap. She insisted I keep his up on wheels Model A chassis with a rebuilt flatty that he was building to the Bishop/Tardel A-V8 book. I already have a '26 touring body that should fit it quite nicely. I am very blessed to have it and build it in his memory. In memory of Teddy Bear!

Lee

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yes, my avatar, from my Dad. It was his pride and joy. Worked on it with/for him for 40 plus years. He planned to give it to me for Christmas the year that he passed, according to my Mom.

5. Great story's, please keep them coming. HRP

3W JOHN, wandi harry and Rickybop like this.
  6. My dad died at age 54 of cancer back in 2006, and left me the 38 Chevy coupe in my avatar that he bought in 1971 and did everything himself but stitch the upholstery. It'll go to my kids someday.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

8. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Most of you know the story behind my wagon but for those that don't a brief history, my grandmother Jessie purchased the wagon new from Blue Ridge Motors here in Anderson,South Carolina for her flower shop, she used it until she replaced it with a VW van, she gave the car to my daddy to pull his fishing boat later on he decided he needed a truck and offered to sell it to a co-worker and when I heard about it I told him if he was going to sell the wagon I would buy it, after all it's the car I learn how to drive helping my grandmother deliver flowers.

My daddy then handed me the keys and said I didn't know you wanted the car.
    I drove the wagon when our twin girls were small but a front wheel bearing seized and we couldn't find a replacement so the car went into the barn, many years later Danny joined the hamb and got inspired to get the car running but the car was rough and he wanted to find another wagon, I told him another wagon wouldn't have the family history or the sentimental value, just put the car back in the barn.

The restoration to Danny and his friend Dave 7 years but and I'm over the moon, I couldn't ask for a better car. :)

BTW, my avatar shows the wagon in the back ground, and my mother and me.

[​IMG]

3W JOHN, hrm2k, Grandadeo and 11 others like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

No, only thing I ever got was a nail hammer from each of my Grandpaws, which my kids lost both of them.:( I will get my Dad's 94 Ranger when my Mom passes.

I do have my Great Grandpa's flashlight though. It was one of those chrome plated lights that held two C batteries [or is it D's?], the chrome has just about been rubbed off and all that is left is brass, polished from his hands with use. Not worth much to anyone else, but memories of him to me.

3W JOHN, Rickybop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have not inherited a car, but my buddys son was gifted a drop dead gorgeous 50 mercury. The two families lived next door to each other and when mike was young he would go over and watch the 50 being built. Was time pasted he would help with the car and other projects around the house. Fast forward years mike has a wife and 4 kids, still likes car but can’t afford a nice car. The owner of the 50 finds out he has a short time left gives the car to mike. Need less to say the car will never be for sale.

3W JOHN, Rickybop, das858 and 2 others like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

421828DF-C511-4E9E-9DCC-A8C5C51A2708.jpeg 3A24C11C-F2F8-4A21-A075-F88B275DE6DA.jpeg F04C2137-FBC0-462F-9C9B-04BEC7DB1AEE.jpeg 13910DE9-AEFF-419C-BC8B-7054F9F4ED1F.jpeg 7902F89E-E4C5-484E-953C-2B57327B1199.jpeg 3580590A-1C6B-4F19-8851-414F3B033490.jpeg 44D3802C-99F6-4182-8387-9865B14E4C66.jpeg
    humble beginnings to more humble beginnings

enloe, WB69, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Rickybop, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. I have a brand new set of vulcanized running boards that I have had for many years and can't bring myself to replace the original ones on my old beater. HRP

[​IMG]

enloe, oliver westlund, cfmvw and 3 others like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Like a soft comfy slipper

Rickybop and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While not a hot rod, custom or late model, I did inherit my uncle and aunt’s 1964 Cadillac. There is a thread on the HAMB about the Caddy. It showed up with 38,720 miles showing. It still has less than 45,000 showing after 9 years of driving it.

39AD75DE-7348-4101-92B7-AB33F29CD3E0.jpeg

46fatford, enloe, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  16. That's a beauty. HRP

Ron Funkhouser, Rickybop and 3W JOHN like this.
  17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still factory paint showing on all panels

18. '

They had good taste. HRP

19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

You bet the did!

20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

IMG_4576.jpg IMG_4577.jpg
    Same situation here...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-1-17_4-5-7.png

Hello,

It was good and bad as to why I inherited a very cool hot rod cruiser/racer. It was the recovery year of 1960 to late 1961, during which I was the caretaker helper, the chauffer and “go fer” kid for my brother’s burn recovery. When I was in school, my mother was the primary care taker. After the fall 1961 football season, I became the caretaker after school and on the weekends to give my mom a break. I was the one to take my brother to the doctor’s office and to treatment centers. Since I could drive, we went in the 58 Impala.
    upload_2022-1-17_4-6-33.png
    Over that grueling year of recovery and treatments, my brother and I discussed “what lies ahead.” He still wanted to keep the small speed shop open and running, but wanted to sell everything from the remaining parts of the 1940 Willys 671 SBC Coupe. He could see the look on our mom’s face every time we walked out to the backyard garage to just sit in the sun and talk.

She now equated the backyard garage as the sole thing that caused the horrific burns and consequently a sad ending for us. She blamed me and my brother for getting in such a dangerous activity and never wanted to step in that backyard garage again. She wanted to have us tear it down, it got so bad…

But, to appease our mom, my brother said to sell everything out of the backyard garage and clean it up for our surfboards.

Jnaki
    upload_2022-1-17_4-7-47.png
    During this time, I had my own Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. But, my mom did want me to take my brother to the doctor’s office in the Impala. She definitely did not want me to take him for his treatments and physical rehab exercises in the sedan delivery. It reminded her of the Willys Coupe that was the “cause” of my brother’s injuries.

So, slowly, the Impala was the main form of transportation and when I got the C&O Stick Hydro installed, my mom confiscated the Impala as her own, but technically, my brother gave the car to me. My mom used the Impala once or twice a week for her shopping with friends and grocery store runs.

My brother was now finishing up his rehab and part of it was to go surfing for physical exercise. The Impala was not practical for two longboards and the sedan delivery was just fine. But, he and his own friends started building their custom interior spaces inside of vans to have a nice campout vehicle for longer surf trips. They had quite a thing going for VW vans, Econolines and when the Chevy vans came into play, they got the full camper inside treatments, too.
    upload_2022-1-17_4-11-11.png
    So, now into my senior year, I had access to the 58 Impala and still had my sedan delivery for local surf trips and longer surf campout trips. It was a nice situation to be in with the classy, fast 58 Impala. My brother no longer wanted anything to do with that portion of hot rods and/or drag racing.
    upload_2022-1-17_4-12-4.png
    We even drove out to Pomona to see the Winternationals in the Impala, but that was the last time he went to the drags. It just was not the same, sitting in our car watching the races, instead of participating like we did since 1957 to 1960 with the Impala and 1940 Willys Coupe.

22. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My first hot rod was this yellow '37 Chevy sedan that my older brother, by 4 yrs., and I pulled out of
    a cops backyard. It was full of black widow spiders, ugly paint, but I thought I had died and went to
    heaven. Put a sbc in it, painted it yellow in the carport and then 3 yrs later when my brother went toViietnam, he surprised me and "sold" his '40 Chevy to me for $200, on
    a monthly payment plan. Loved that car and improved it over the years, but always street raced it! RIP, Mike. Love ya man.

pumpkin 2.jpg
    pumpkin 1.jpg

enloe likes this.
  23. Yes, it happened to me! I've told the story on here before, but here goes one more time. A good friend purchased his 1940 Ford Deluxe "Woodie" wagon in 1968 and worked on it for the next 50 years. It was the most prized thing that he owned and he proudly carried pics in his wallet, showing them to anyone that he met. Sadly he developed some health issues that prevented his ability to work on his "baby" and he had to enlist the help of friends to get/keep the car project going. He passed away and no one knew what would become of the '40 or where it might end up. This mystery went on for over a year and the car was a local topic of conversation whenever car guys would get together. I was shocked when one day my phone rang and the gentlemen on the phone said he was representing the estate of my friend and that he had left me something in his last will and testament. I was even more shocked when he stated that the "Woodie" was mine and that I needed to make plans to pick the car up from its storage location! I've been slowly getting the car back "on its feet" and look forward to proudly taking it to local cruise nights to display it in my friend's memory. I also have his old car club jacket and club "drag plate" to display with the car. My wife and I have already met with our attorney and placed the car in our own will to go to a chosen guy in our area that will be the next caretaker. He will have no idea of his responsibility until my passing. I want him to be as surprised as I was when the car was handed to me. We are only temporary caretakers of these fine old cars and there is no way that I could ever sell the item that meant so much to my friend. I hope that someday the next chosen owner will continue the tradition and pass the car on. I think my friend would approve!