Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cutting radiator hoses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Some great tips, thanks! I'll pick up one of those hose cutter thingies and practice on some junk hoses.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Seems like I saw that thing in a movie once...?

EA5C57F8-7249-4623-8FBC-E19DA4F82C27.png

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I hack 'em off a little long then trim and square with small sheet metal shears.

Gary

5. bchctybob likes this.
  6. I use a flame to make the fuzzys go away

loudbang likes this.
  7. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

image.jpg These are poly hose cutters. They come in different sizes. Worked in the marine business for a long time and automotive. I can’t tell you how many hoses I’ve cut with this style cutter. It’s the only thing I’ll use.

loudbang, Chavezk21 and Elcohaulic like this.
  8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I bought an electric kitchen carving knife at a garage sale for three bucks with the blades and case. The only thing you have to watch for is some of the aftermarket hoses have a metal wire running through the rubber inside to hold their shape. The carving knife is also great for cutting foam for seats as well. I've cut through a 3 inch sheet of foam without tearing it and it leaves a perfect edge.

9. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I wouldn't use flex hose.

10. tomcat11

tomcat11

You can snug down a worm drive hose clamp on the hose, square, as a guide, then use utility, box cutter, exacto, razor blade etc. to cut. Go round and round. don't try to cut through all at once.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

I use tape or a clamp to mark a line around it, cut a starter hole with a razor blade or box cutter then use my sharpest Wiss sheet metal shears (M2, 'cause I'm right handed) to cut the rest along the line. Sometimes I get some fuzzies but I just scissor them off. Works ok. I'm too damn cheap to buy a special tool just for one occasional job.
    Somebody gave me a pair of Blue Point hose cutters that work great but they only go up to about 1"-1 1/4" hose. Great for fuel and heater hose though.

12. Tried the hacksaw...no love. Too hard to hold the hose. Ended up sliding a piece of wood dowel inside the hose and using the utility knife with tape as a guide. Worked pretty good. Will try the clamp as a guide next time.

dwollam likes this.
  13. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

just cut the dam thing and move on

Truckedup and dirt t like this.
  14. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Mark it with blue tape, cut along edge of tape with razor knife.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. I have craftsman handi-cuts, but the pvc cutter works better

Joe Blow likes this.
  16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I use a Gates hose cutter. On any blade type cutter, always use a lubricant on the blade.....soapy water, antifreeze, etc. Makes a night and day difference in the cut.

Used one of these years ago but shortened my work bench every time I cut a hose....or made a sandwich.
    71WvHnGG8QL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  17. Why not?

bob b. likes this.