Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How to clean a dome light lens

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockabilly Ed, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Rockabilly Ed

Rockabilly Ed

I have what I believe to be a 1951 Chrysler dome light. I have two questions. 1) How do you clean the plastic lens? I think its bakelite. 2) how do you get the lens off? I took a lens off similar to it that was a 1951 Desoto , but cracked it while taking it off.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Post some pictures. We love pictures.

But short answer...if it breaks, it breaks. If it's good enough to reuse, it won't break.

Cleaning, would be with mild detergent and water, and lots of care. And don't expect to get out any stains, only dirt.

3. The plastics that Chrysler used in the '50s was terrible stuff, it will 'age out' and get brittle if it doesn't just disintegrate. Handle with extreme care... Mopar plastic taillight lenses from this era are a bitch to find.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and kadillackid like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I have some dome light lens cleaner around here some place, next to the prop wash. Lemme look.

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Meguiar's PlastX is what I'd use on the lens. It has conditioning oils in it that seem to help rejuvenate aged plastic. Has worked great for me. I have no idea how the lens is removed...not familiar with it.

Algoma56 and loudbang like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Very carefully.

squirrel likes this.
  7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have used Meguiar's plastic cleaning and polishing products on old plastic lenses with success. I don't know what you are dealing with though.

8. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

dish washer

bobbytnm likes this.
  9. If you can get it out in one piece, start with a mix of BonAmi, Dawn dishwashing detergent, and a little water. This will get the major crud off, and the BonAmi is not very abrasive. Then use the plastic polish of your choice (or tooth paste).

VANDENPLAS and Algoma56 like this.
  10. Mine was the newer plastic, soaked it in a container in my kitchen sink with dish soap and warm water. I'd be hesitant to clean something older and brittle in a dishwasher.

dana barlow and Algoma56 like this.
  11. reagen

reagen

really

squirrel likes this.
  12. wahoo

wahoo

Not sure about the 50s, bit 60s-70s dome lights were made of nylon. Absorbs moisture and becomes brittle. No fixing that. Same material as those yellowish
    plastic clips that break every time.

13. Rockabilly Ed

Rockabilly Ed

Thanks for all the help. As you can see it's in really good shape. I just like to clean anything I get. I've already polished the chrome. As far as breaking, these are very hard to find.

Attached Files:

Algoma56 likes this.
  14. Rockabilly Ed

Rockabilly Ed

I'll try some soap and water and use a toothbrush to get in the grooves. getting it off is the big problem. Again, thanks.

Algoma56 likes this.
  15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If the lens is intact, leave it in the bezel. Trying to separate it will break it every time. A soft old toothbrush & a dab of dish soap does the trick.

'28phonebooth and Algoma56 like this.

16. I’ve done both of these

I would leave well enough alone snd wash it as a complete unit to save yourself from potentially cracking the plastic

17. Rockabilly Ed

Rockabilly Ed

I will eventually have to take it out to install it in the car. I don't even know if there is a bulb in it. but you are right I will clean it without taking the lens out.

18. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Have done several of these thru the years. They were fragile like yours. Very best way I found to clean them is to use dish washing detergent (the powder you put in the dishwasher - not dish soap) in warm water. A couple of tablespoons to a gallon of water. Just let the lens soak for about 45 mins to an hour. No need to brush or really touch the lens at all. Just rinse off after....sparkling clean. Has never failed me.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  20. Rockabilly Ed

Rockabilly Ed

That was a very informative article on cleaning bakelite. If I could get the lens off, I would try the dishwashing detergent. For now, I will use caution and maybe soap and water. Thanks for the help.