Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 or 4 row radiator? 1931 A, flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I have done a search, seems like the answer would be everywhere.
    I have a 31 A. 8BA. I am looking for the radiator now.
    I think I have a 16" mechanical fan figured out. (I will complete the thread i started on my fan set up when I am 100% sure its complete.)
    Probably go aluminum radiator. Do i need 3 or 4 rows?

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you have the room always go for extra rows. Never enough radiator.

Boneyard51, acme30 and hemihotrod66 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a 4 row aluminum radiator? Are you buying off the shelf or having one made?

connielu likes this.
  4. Ratspit

Ratspit

3 row will flow air better than a 4 row. Plus if you go with a thicker radiator you may have to reduce the overall dimensions to fit in the shell thus reducing cooling capacity.

connielu likes this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

It is not just the number of rows but also the size of the rows that you need to look at.

connielu and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is from a supplier's site about aluminum radiator sizing. Not sure if its the gospel or not. Just putting it out for consideration.

Please note: a large 2- row aluminum radiator will cool better the a 3-row or even 4-row aluminum radiator. Aluminum is NOT LIKE COPPER where more tubes/rows means more cooling. It is the size of the tubes/rows that provide the best cooling. THE LARGER TUBES PROVIDE MORE SURFACE AREA OF CONTACT TO THE FINS FOR MORE HEAT EXTRACTION. The highest cooling efficiency is with 2 rows 1 inch to 1&1/8 inch wide. Do your research and you will find any major name brand radiator shop will be building them with 2-large rows.

7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have a two row aluminum with inch and a half tubes....Couldn't find a brass one that would cool my supercharged hemi in Vegas summers...

connielu likes this.
  8. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I am using a 4 row aluminum radiator in my A-v8. It's a bit smaller than a '29 original and my guess is it's a "second" due to the cheap price. A 16" electric fan did not do the job of keeping the flathead cool. I went to a 17" stock fan with better than average blade pitch and that cured it. My best advise is to be sure to buy an all welded aluminum radiator if you go that way. No epoxy or other sealant. Cooling ability is determined by three things: Fins per inch, number of tubes and air flow. Always use a thermostat to control fluid flow. Without one the coolant can zip through the radiator before it has a chance to cool. Especially at high RPM in hot weather. It won't warm up in the winter , either.

connielu likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A shroud will enhance any cooling system if one can be fitted. Check circle track suppliers. I turned one vertical that was meant to be horizontal. They come blank so you cut the fan hole. Worked perfect on a 40 Chevrolet with a stock sized radiator.

connielu and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. nobby

nobby

8ba hardened exhaust valve seat
    10 percent ethanol

connielu likes this.
  11. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I have not seen a 4 row, I am just starting my research and asking questions. Space is super tight up front so i need to be super careful. I wil re read all this advice again to help my decision. thanks

connielu likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you can’t go large, you have to go thick. But remember the forth row, the one closes to the engine, does not cool as much as the very first one. As you add rows the efficiency of each row decreases, somewhat. Design and air flow are important. Like mentioned always use a shroud ,that covers the whole radiator, if possible! And position the fan properly in the shroud!

Bones

connielu likes this.
  13. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

What he said^^
    The thicker the core the harder it is to get air through it. It is all about fin to tube contact, tube size, and air movement.