Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What car do you regret getting rid of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Jan 10, 2022.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

For me it would be the 1928 Chevrolet I bought for $200. I still don't know why I let it go even though I did get over $2500.00 for it. 20171104_092839.jpg 20171104_092848.jpg 20171104_092856.jpg 20171104_095154.jpg

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wish I could open the door, plop down in and turn the key on every one of 'em. What a trip down memory lane that would be.

3. twenty8

twenty8

Looks to me that it was bought and sold purely for financial gain. Hard to see how there could be a sentimental attachment, unless there are more photos to come that show some love...............:rolleyes:

Almost every single one I have owned (most off topic here) has had it's own time specific set of special memories attached. I would have them all back in a heartbeat. Wish I knew then what I know now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

There are plenty I'd like to have back, but I only truly regret selling this one:

thebiz.JPG
    ironandsteele.com​

Okie Pete, Cosmo49, quick85 and 14 others like this.

5. JimSibley

JimSibley

I loved both of these cars, but i really miss the red one. 223FC009-0302-4085-9436-98238ABE08CE.jpeg

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

My 61 Impala.
    A big 409, factory high performance unobtainum exhaust manifolds, the factory single four barrel manifold, T-400 w/switch pitch converter, Basset NASCAR wheels under the fenders, don't recall the tire size, but they fit the wheels, and were tight in the fender openings ! A 3.70 posi in the back. Lowered about 2" at both ends, heavy springs at both ends large anti-sway bars at both ends. Actually, I put a 1-1/4" GM bar on the front and...also left the little 5/8" OEM bar in place !
    Original ermine white paint, with the red accent stripe (not my favorite color).

That big ol beast handled way better than it had a right to.
    And no, only film pictures that I haven't converted to digital yet.

Mike

8. Deuces

Deuces

My first car... A 327 powered '68 Camaro convertible.... Had so much fun with that car....

9. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

11. brady1929

brady1929

My 53 ford p/u and my 1930 ford roadster body.

12. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Each time I face this issue I get half cuck koo for cocoa puffs.
    My favorite shrink has retired, welll here goes.

27 Studebaker 4dr, 35 Ford tudor, slant, 41 Ford deluxe bus. cpe, 50 Plymouth 2dr no mileage,
    55 Nomad, 56 D-500 Dodge (hemi) cpe, 60 Ford SunLiner, 64 Cutlass Hi-PO vert almost a 442.

There were at least 40 other vehicles, that were just vehicles. Never cost a lot. No attachment other than the seat at the controls, and the tools needed for upkeep and repairs. The ones that are listed, had that 'sommmething'.

Now where did I stash that Dark Rum bottle?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Bit long, man are my thumbs tired.

Only one I have any regrets about was when I was 16. My dad had just given me his ‘57 Chevy PU he bought new.
    So, a few years earlier my grandmother signed over the Title to. Model AA? I guess it was , dual rear wheels, flatbed truck. I wanted to get it running for our homecoming parade in HS my senior year. Sr year would have been in ‘79. So a few few years whenever I was over at the ranch, I’d tow it out of the barn, hose it off. Even waxed it a few times. I really didn’t know squat about engines other than changing oil and spark plugs in lawn mowers at the time.
    Fast forward a few years and I’m 16, have my license and the ‘57. I’d met a few guys that knew about Model A engines and took one of them over with me to see if we could get it running. It hadn’t run in a good 20 years or so, they just retired to the barn in favor of a new truck to haul grapes with.
    So weird turn off events. A few weeks earlier some people stopped at my grandparents place, wanted to buy an old house that pretty run down on their property and burn it down for a movie. The movie called Nickelodeon, with Ryan and Tatum O’Neal starring in it.
    So I guess they were set up and getting ready to film some scenes by the time I got over there with this guy to work on the A.
    So I crank over the Farmal Cub to pull the truck out with (no lights in the barn) so we could work on it. My dad showed up a bit later. So we were tinkering with the A, and sorta looked around and there were a few from the film crew watching us. That was about time my dad strolled up. When they saw my dad they went up to him and talked a bit, then they all walked over.
    My dad said “this man wants to buy your truck”. Talk about putting a 16yo on the spot.
    I started thinking to my self “what’s this worth”. I had no clue. I walked away with my dad and asked him, he had no clue. My dad told the guy “give us a bit” and we went into my grandmas house. Sat at te table, agreed and my dad made a few phone calls. One was to the Body/paint shop in town, the other to Modesto Chrome and Northern Tire and wheel
    Adding paint and chrome and mags and tires I wanted, cost up came to right around 2 grand. We went out and I told the guy 2500. He started to bargain and I just said no, 2500.
    We shook hands, he came over to our place with cash and I gave him the pink slip.
    Now I really liked the metallic imron paint, chromed truck, mags, etc. but I never did get to drive that truck I grew up playing as a kid.
    Anything else I’ve sold? Like they say about the two best days of owning a boat;)

14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daily driver while I was in Hawaii serving in the Air Force during the late 60's. 1965 Sunbeam Tiger. I bought it for $1800 ( 2 years old when I bought it ) and sold it for $750

sunbeam.jpg

15. I've had close to 100 vehicles..sure, some of those would be nice to own today, but I have no regrets, at the time, it was a sound decision to sell.
    Usually that "sound decision" was to free up space for yet another, "I've got to have that car".

16. Every one that I ever let go! I would like to have back. Here's just a few. I couldn't even count the number of barn finds, and junkyard cars, that I've drug home. Yeah, I wish I could've kept them all! 150.jpg 2476.jpg 184.jpg 068.jpg

17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

My 1956 Chevy Sport Coupe In These Colors... 8479593771_02000949c7_b.jpg

quick85, TFoch, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  18. I regret selling most of them but I guess the top three would be my '56 Belair 2dr hardtop... 4th car - 1956 Chevrolet Belair.JPG
    This is not the actual photo of it but it looked exactly like this when I got it from my brother for $20.00 back in '65!

Here's a couple of more recent ones... 117.jpg
    . 1957 Chevrolet Belair.jpg 1957 Chevy Belair.jpg

quick85, TFoch, little red 50 and 5 others like this.
  19. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

shudda kept the 56 pontiac safari, 51 merc, 59 el camino, 48 chev sedan delivery, 56 vette, bel air, 39 packard coupe, 23 buick tub, 62 cad, 63 cad, 63 impala, 60 porsche, and a few of the OT cars... (at least i still have the 41 cad.)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    dana barlow, Deuces and fyrffytr1 like this.
  20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

All of them.... and I have had many over the years.

Some more than others but now as time marches on - I can't perform some mechanical stuff that I did when I was a younger Buck.

But - look at my Avitar - The Original CornCobCoupe.
    28 Dodge 3 Window Coupe.
    That one is right up there for a favorite - should have never sold it.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

My '40 Ford standard Tudor. Always wanted a '40 but when I finally found one, I was overwhelmed by the amount of reproduction parts available. I was used to building cars from junkyard parts. Traded it for a '49 Monarch. At this point, with all the money I've spent on my current car, and the fact that a lot of repro 40 stuff is no longer being made, I wish I could have kept that car.

dana barlow, Deuces and fyrffytr1 like this.
  22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This list is not short. My 65 Vette, my 65 Mustang sedan, my 66 Mustang fastback, my 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie, my 63 Falcon Sprint Convert, my 64 Falcon Sprint hardtop, my 64 Ford Galaxie Convert, my 63 Chevy Impala, my 67 Camaro, my 70 Boss 302, my 70 Trans AM. Maybe I should just shorten this and say all of them! :D

23. 70 Torino GT - mint condition
    66 chevelle - rust free
    66 suburban - rust free
    68 Bonneville convertible - clean nice driver
    66 swb fleet side chevy - real nice shape
    Probably many more, that’s just what comes to mind right now

24. 1931 Ford Model A 68-C slant window cabriolet. Sold the car to put a down payment on a new house after a divorce many years ago. Hated to get rid of the car, but it was too small to live in!

25. RmK57

RmK57

1970 429 SCJ Ram-Air, 4-speed, 3.91 Trac-Loc Ranchero 500. I knew it was rare but when the new owner got the Marti report and told me me it was one of a half dozen with a 4-speed. That was around 30 years ago and I still think about it.

26. I don't regret selling any of them but I did make some serious errors on when I sold them. I always sold to finance the next one. Had I held onto some of them, I would have several hundred thousand dollars in the bank now. I had no vision at all of what the future would bring. Color me dumbass. :)

hotrodjack33, Deuces and fyrffytr1 like this.
  27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

In a way I do miss all of them and it would be cool to see them again,
    but at the same time I have no desire to have them back,
    I let each one go for a reason,
    those reasons are still valid.

28. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I didn't sell any that I really wanted to keep. The 63 Fairlane that I got new resides a few miles from where I live now and I was asked by the current owner if I wanted to buy it back when they decided to sell it. I declined.

A few years ago a similar subject was started here on the HAMB and it got me to remember back to the mid sixties of a friend with a really nice 57 Chevy hardtop, he had sold it and bought his mother's 64 Galaxie XL hardtop because he felt that as a college graduated engineer he should have a car that was more fitting:) I hadn't talked to him since 1966, but re markedly I was able to remember his name:) I did a search on it and found two numbers, one was for an engineering firm and the other a residence. The business phone number was disconnected. I then tried the residence, a lady answered the phone and I asked for him. There was a long pause, "he passed away six months ago". What do you say next?? I told her who I was and the reason that I had called was to see if he regretted selling the 57. "He regretted selling EVERY car he ever had"

I wish I would have called a year earlier.

Deuces and fyrffytr1 like this.
  29. The only Car that I Regret Selling was 1935 Chrysler Air Stream 8
    Conv. Coup Dual Side Mounts Standard Shift, Spot Light w/Chrysler Emblem
    Radio & Heater in, I Sold it in 1972 with Options to buy it Back if it was for sale.!
    I Sold it to a Doctor in NJ & Been in contact with him
    The Last time I Called him when I Moved back from AZ.
    And he said 50,000 for it.! so I told him I guess you Don't want to Sell it.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Deuces and fyrffytr1 like this.