Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rocket Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modagger, Jan 10, 2022.

1. modagger

modagger

Greetings Oh Fount of Knowledge!

I’m searching for my next project and I’ve found one that piques my interest. I have a concern that I need guidance on.

The owner has had it for ten years, the previous owner had it for five. I’m told that the engine and transmission were “new”. Now I’m going out on a limb here and assuming that “new” means rebuilt.

The present owner has never had it running and told me the carbs have never had gas in them. He says that it is approximately 192 hp. 3C510004-D1EC-4B6C-ABCA-F757A8A0EE00.png

So, my concern is: should I be concerned about it sitting for at least five, possibly more years without being run?

Thanks in advance for the avalanche of worthy schooling to come.

be well
    Jeff

GordonC likes this.
  2. I'd go for it. Squirt some oil in the spark plugs holes and put a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt. See if it is free, or doesn't take much effort to get it free.

Other ideas?

Maybe @Paul has suggestions.

Just Gary and modagger like this.
  3. twenty8

twenty8

Maybe..........
    If the intake and exhaust had been sealed I would be more optimistic.
    If not, a little oil in the plug holes regularly and the engine spun, either on the starter or by hand, makes a big difference during long storage periods.
    Is it a lemon??? You will just have to suck it and see................;)

modagger likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

The brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders are probably bad, and will need to be replaced. I know you said no gas in carbs, but if that info is wrong the carbs may need to be gone through. From the pictures the stock fuel pump is not plumbed up to the carbs or tank.

Just Gary and modagger like this.

5. modagger

modagger

There are no wheel cylinders or master installed yet. So thankfully that’s not a concern.

6. Can't help on the question, but I give you extra points for spelling piques correctly. :)

ClayMart, Truck64, pprather and 2 others like this.
  7. modagger

modagger

:p

8. twenty8

twenty8

"Were new" a decade or more ago does not necessarily mean all is good now. How well was the engine sealed up for all that time? What climate/conditions was it stored in? I would be using it as a bargaining point for the sale price because it is you that will be taking all the risk. Also factor in for all hoses, belts, filters, etc to be replaced, and everything else to be gone through and checked, and possibly repaired or replaced. Best of luck with it, and I hope it works in your favour.

modagger likes this.
  9. modagger

modagger

It is a “project” and I don’t mind, actually look forward to doing whatever is necessary to complete it, but I am leery of getting into something with the “unknown” condition of the engine.
    We’ll see.

pprather likes this.
  10. twenty8

twenty8

I guess the price should be the decider. "Worst case scenario" is always a safe approach.

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd oil it up and get it to spin over. If it turns ok I might try to fire it up but it wouldn't take much to pull that down and check it out and put all new gaskets in if ok. I have seen that car in the classifieds and that to me is a pretty fair asking price for whats there.

modagger likes this.
  12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks like a very early 303, '49-'50
    No number on the head and wire dip stick.
    Of course that may not mean much.
    Are there receipts for the work done?

13. I've never understood how a guy can bolt a fresh engine in a car, apparently ready to run with a little gas and a hot wire, and not want to start it. Makes no sense to me.

14. leon bee

leon bee

5 or 10 years ain't what it used to be. Based on that photo, buy it!

modagger likes this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Looks like it has a mag on it

16. twenty8

twenty8

I think it looks ok too, and would probably take the risk............ But without receipts or proof, it is just that.... a risk.
    Meh........sometimes you land in clover, sometimes you land in shit....;)

modagger and Wanderlust like this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks like a Mallory Double Life dual point two piece cap distributor to me.
    Also see a starter switch over.
    If the price was right I'd buy it.

18. I wonder if that mechanical oil pressure gauge is a recent addition, it does have residual oil in the line.
    Advertised as "new"...receipts should be available, at least for the internal engine parts, and/or machine work.

modagger likes this.
  19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

It was spun over at least once in it's history. It looks like it made oil pressure, gauging by the plastic line. It might not be totally rusty.

Flip a coin if it makes it easier to decide, but you might want to pick the loaded coin.

Edit: beaten by a fraction by @40FORDPU

modagger likes this.
  20. modagger

modagger

There are receipts. It’s only about a three hour road trip for me one way so I’ll be going to take a look.

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cool, looks like a fresh start

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see what the problem is, unless he wants an outrageous price. I bought a '51 Mercury engine that had been sitting upside down in a mud puddle and brought it home. It turned over, so I put some MMO in it and stored it under the stairs in my shop for 15 years. I've been driving the car I put it in for 5 years now.

That's a classic!

GordonC and modagger like this.
  23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

other clues to it being a '49-'50 is the idler pulley and early style fan and crank pullies

modagger likes this.
  24. Early 303's produced around 135hp fwiw. Did he offer any info on what has been done to that engine?
    Those carb bases appear to be aluminum replacements.
    All things considered, I would be all over that project in a minute.

GordonC likes this.
  25. modagger

modagger

He’s got a sheaf of receipts but the only thing he’s given me is that it’s about 190 hp. Hopefully I’ll get the info I need when I go to see it.