Register now to get rid of these ads!

buying the wrong parts at a swapmeet!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIGUEL ZARATE, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

This must be a big money part to bother being worried about it. Sell it on ebay for more than you paid lol!

2. This is a guy you've known for 5 years??? Why are you even asking for advice?:cool:

If one of my "friends" boned me on purpose, I'd lay the "smack-down" on him. (just my .02)

3. banditomerc

banditomerc

tell the guy that the part did not fit !!!!!!!!!!!,if he gives you your $ back..Good!!!!!!!!!! If he doesn`t...well...take all the advise from all the folks who have responded and carry on,oh ya..in the process..BADMOUTH this mother fu.... to everyone who will listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Remember,what goes around comes around!!!!!!!!!Peace!!!!!!:cool:

4. You say the part was marked for your application? You sure you didn't ask? If he adverts it to fit and woin't make good...that's his ass.

What was it exactly? Just trying to see if it was a possible confusion deal either way. Tell us the whole story. This shit is happening more and more:mad: , because people are digging every last nut out of the attic and trying to make good on the craze...

5. Nimrod

Nimrod

No one's asked yet...what kind of part was it? It obviously fits something!

At a swap meet its up to you to know what the part is...its right there in front of you to look at, to play with, touch and feel. If he's a good buddy he should give you the money back, otherwise forget it.

6. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I sell parts at swap meets, and I like to think I am an honest vender.....I have mis-led some customers with wrong information that I thought was right.....when I find out that I was wrong I will return the purchase price to the customer or take the parts back in trade for something else.......stan....stans-stainless 610-866-4828

7. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

If the part was a deal at $300.00 then sell it to someone that can use it. If it was a rip off, then stop refering to the guy as a friend. You never mentioned what the part was. You may be able to move it on here or someone may have the right part and swap you for yours.
    Bottom line, he's not gonna give you your money back so make the best you can of what you got and move on.
    (and I mean that in the nicest possible way. lol...)

8. DrJ

DrJ

If a "friend" borrows $300 from you and you never see him again, it was money well spent.

9. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

Try buying from a HAMBer next time-

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You pays your money and you takes your chances! If the seller was a total stranger , you now are the proud new owner. But, if you really do know the seller and there was an understanding that "if it doesn't fit" you can return it, then he might take it back.... but there is no quarantee!

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wow, that is total BULLSHIT!!!! :)

There have been way stupider posts on here!!!! LOL...what about the guy who asked if someone makes an IFS for a 64 Chevy...or how much it costs to build a car. THOSE are classics.

But yes, this is also kinda dumb. Swap meet. That is automotive latin for "Pot Luck Parts". If you paid $300 from a Forward Look dealer for 1 front bumperwing, replated show quality, for your 58 numbers matching Fury, then yes Id be pissed. If you are home trying to mash a 64 Ford 289 to a 65 Ford trans, then its your bad.

12. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Screw that, we would have to go old school................it would be his $300 lesson

13. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

First, aren't we all assuming how the deal went? For all we know the deal could have been, "Yeah man, I'm pretty sure it'll fit, but the deal is as is. No refunds". I've sold things that way before. It's probably the way Chicano says but none of us really know.

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

You fucked up, believing a complete stranger. Chaulk it up as experience and move on.

15. 5window

5window

Well,there sure as hell are a lot of mean ass dudes on this thread. Any of you want to HELP? The man's acquantance sold him a part he had labeled wrong. And for real money. Could have been an honest mistake,could have been a scam,might be a bit of confusion as to what was really said.

The buyer has a part which must be worth something. Maybe it's worth more! Something thought common that really is rare (would we advise him to take it back if it turned out to be worth 10x what he paid for it?). So if he chooses to post it, we could tell him if he was screwed or not. But it's still the wrong part for his car,even if he can resell it.

As a businessman,I'd advise:
    1. Know your stuff before you buy it in the future.
    2. Contact the seller,nicely explain the problem and ask for the right part or a refund (maybe even offer to accept 90-95% of what you paid)
    3.If the seller is a jerk,contact the swap meet officials and ask for their help.
    4. I like:Stand next to him at the next swap meet with a sign as suggested-why rent a space,that will cost you $. But be honest about what you say and you don't really want to look like an idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's buying.
    5. If you can't get satisfaction legally,don't go for violence-not much point to being arrested for assault over $300 and you can't work on your car if you are in jail.
    6. Keep us posted.

16. Gumpa

Gumpa

The first thing I see is that you haven't even talked to the guy and you are assuming he won't give you any satisfation... I may have missed it somewhere but I think the first thing would be to contact him and give him a chance to make it right before you go exploding. Second, None of us have the complete story or even what the item in question is. You could have spent $300 on side molding or you could have spent it on a baby Hemi, who knows. Obviously if it was worth a lot more than you paid for it you wouldn't be in the angry state your'e in so the bargain wasn't as good as you hoped so the real anger is at yourself and not at this guy. So get over being angry until you have something tangable to be angry at. Call him up and talk to him or list what the item was so we can tell if you were taken to the cleaners or thought you were fleasing him. Gumpa

17. duke182

duke182

sounds like you have been given good advice but I 'm tossin
    mine in anyway.

1: BUYER BEWARE!!

2: IF YOU REALLY KNOW THE GUY --work it out

3: if you choose to play badass and "go old skool"--don't
    forget to consider were yopur friend was educated!

hope it works out for ya.

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Well at least now you know what it don't fit. I have bought several parts that don't fit; just figure that they will fit something someday. But you are correct, I did not pay $300 for them. Just try not to buy another one at the next swapmeet or you will have too many. Neal

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

What the hell is the part? What did the seller claim it was and what it would fit? What is the big secret? If you want help don't hide info from us. I sure don't have $300.00 to piss away on parts that I'm clueless on.

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

What part is it? I might need it!

21. Dougan

Dougan

If it doesn't fit.... grab a torch and make it fit!!!!!

Seriously, talk to the guy and see if he'll take it back. If he won't, see if somebody here will give you $301. for it. Then call the guy and tell him no hard feelings, cause you sold it and made some money on it. Just don't tell him how much you made. I will really piss him off knowing he could have gotten more out of it!

Good luck. Tell us how it turns out.

22. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

I'm also with all those who said you oughtta know what your looking at before buying. Thats half the fun!!!! Cause everyonce in a while you'll find something dirt cheap to fit your exact project or some common 'rod necessity (old GM 50s intakes for example) that sellers have confused in their old age!! LOL!!

23. tomslik

tomslik

"If you are home trying to mash a 64 Ford 289 to a 65 Ford trans, then its your bad."

i wonder how many guys on here get that;)

i do....

24. gashog

gashog

I saw a sign at Carlisle a few years back that summed it up nicely:
    "If you bought the wrong one, you now have a spare :) "

25. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

People sometimes actually ask me for a guarantee on used parts they buy from me at a swap meet. I tell them I'll be glad to give them the same guarantee the guy gave ME when I bought them....

I see a lot of "what if"s in the thread starter's statements. SO...has your "friend" actually told you to get fucked, or is this all conjecture at this point? If you haven't actually tried to hash it out with him yet, stop talking to us and go talk to him. He could have bought the mystery part already incorrectly marked, or some "expert" could have told him what it fit. I should have written down some of the way off base "That fits...." bullshit I've gotten from self proclaimed experts over the years. In any event, if he won't help you out on your problem, do your best to sell it at a profit, and be sure to tell him how much you made on it. As several of the guys have already stated, you bought it at a swap meet, not Wal-Mart. Return policies differ between the two quite a bit. I've actually made good money by buying incorrectly marked parts and selling them for what they really fit over the years. Show it to us, and we'll help you get your $ back by one method or another.

26. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

I'm guessing nobody said what he wanted to hear so he just dropped it. Several people have asked what the part was of if he had really contacted the seller yet and no response. Then again, maybe he decided to go "old school" and is sitting in a cell right now. Anyway I think this has pretty much been beaten to death.
    By the way, anyone want to buy a rusty steel four lug ford wheel for only $300.00??? It fits a Vette.

27. old beet

old beet

Have ya got a pair for $700????........OLDBEET

28. Bugman

Bugman

If it was a $300 swap meet part from a friend(or even an aquaintance), then it's a $350 e-bay part. Suck it up and resell the part.

29. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

Um... Sure OLDBEET, I have two and one even has an extra hole in case one wears out. Just mail me the $700.00 and I'll leave them out in front of the house for you.

30. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

You buy it,Its yours.