Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Atomic Age

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Jack Wagon, Jan 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces and X-2 like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces and X-2 like this.
  3. X-2

X-2

4. X-2

X-2

That thing is a monster! The scariest thing I ever saw was the goblin ray before they sent it to Cali. from STL.

5. X-2

X-2

What? And mess up that hair?

Deuces likes this.
  6. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

About 20 years ago I wanted a red 57 Chev wagon (Tim Allen and Home Improvement have a lot to answer for). Local prices for a Chev were too high for my poor-ass budget, so I figured I'd make something similar from the local 62 EK Holden wagon. Took me near 15 years, and by the time I was done it cost about the same as a Chev would have. Was a fun journey though, and I learned just how little I really understood about automotive engineering along the way... it was a good education.

To be honest I enjoy having a very different Holden rather what would have been a belly-button Chev. I can work on this thing, get paint chips and bug splatters on it, tow a trailer, wring it's neck at the track, put hardware into the back and not have to worry. The local prices for a Chev would have meant being protective, wax-on wax-off, worried about theft etc. Doesn't sound like much fun. I get a mixture of people asking questions at the gas station - the older ones who grew up with them like me, and the younger ones attracted by the sound of the idle.

Every now and then I can hear Tim's voice ("more power! Argh Argh Argh!") but so far have resisted the urge. The car is set up for giggle gas, but that would just be crazy :confused::D

'course, old cars are like rabbits. You think you only have one, but next time you look there are a couple. Come back later and the driveway is full, the shed crammed full of spare parts, and the kids' friends think you are that crotchety old man who drives the old, loud, cool cars :D

Cheers,
    Harv

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  7. Having a belly button '57 sucks for sure. I live this way so you don't have to.:rolleyes:

8. Had to look it up, only 500 Whitney Wolverines were nickel plated. Less than 14,000 units total production. $3500 ish value. That's investment Luger money. But there are so many better choices for CCW beyond rimfire .22's. Super cool pistol. Damn, I want one ,too!

9. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Your avatar don't look like no belly-button. :cool: Makes me want to own one again.

Problem is, starting price locally (for the belly button version, complete with rust and missing bits) is $US36k.

Cheers,
    Harv

10. Deuces

Deuces

007 should have had one in the early years...

11. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Surfcityrocker and Squablow like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Space Patrol!!

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

14. upload_2022-1-18_22-35-47.png
    During the Aerospace and Arizona Days parade on February 3, 1961, a Boeing Bomarc anti-aircraft missile makes its way north on Stone Avenue in front of The Arizona Daily Star and Tucson Daily Citizen building. The downtown parade displayed units from Davis-Monthan Air Force base where the remainder of the celebration took place over the weekend.

Toms Dogs, echo ed, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  15. upload_2022-1-18_22-42-30.png

"Bockscar," the Boeing B-29 bomber that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan, in 1945, shown in storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, in 1955. It was transferred to the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in 1961.

16. upload_2022-1-18_22-51-17.png
    Dr. and Mrs. A. Russell Aanes check their civil defense rations as they start a two-week stay in an above-ground fallout shelter at KGUN-TV studios in October, 1961. The couple said they were "looking forward to catching up on long-delayed reading, napping and being away from the telephone." The TV station had a remote camera and would periodically monitor the couple inside.

17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Jeff34 and Deuces like this.
  18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

One has to wonder if people thought about power during an attack in that period. Bicycle generators maybe? Certainly not from the grid, as most of the grid would be gone.

Deuces and down-the-road like this.

19. Not a problem... When the big one drops, everything is gonna glow like a pregnant woman!

Deuces likes this.
  20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Looks to me like ole Russell could have stood a few days at least, without stuffing his face. He's already plotting to steal whatever pogue bait is coming outta that can. Mrs. Aanes appears less than impressed with the cuisine. Did they have to $&@t in a bucket too?

Deuces likes this.
  21. Wilesco "atomic plant" steam engine toy.

1-72-6350.jpg

22. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

23. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

24. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

25. upload_2022-1-20_13-29-31.png

A Titan Missile section arrives at Davis-Monthan AFB in Nov. 1962.

26. Are Jack Wagon and X-2 the same person with two user names ? JW last time here 7 January , X-2 joined 7 January. Both now absent and both on ERROR after short intensive postings :confused:.

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Cool thread.

Cgrgrspt10 and Deuces like this.
  28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So anyone else noticed that a lot of the things predicted sort of have come to pass? The handheld videophone hockey puck thingie for instance...

And rayguns. Yesterday at the dentist the hygienist took xrays of my teeth with a small handheld xray "gun". It's about the size of a battery powered drill.

So we even have rayguns now...

Deuces, Okie Pete and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the real goof-balls that join the HAMB don't last too long and get booted...while some of us manage to dodge that bullet...and just won't go away.;)