Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning a model a tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jhouse88, Dec 15, 2021.

1. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I read to have it boiled out but I worry thst it will have a negative effect on my original black paint. Can anyone give me personal experience with the matter?

2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends how bad it is. You could try extened soaking and flushing with denatured alcohol.

rusty valley likes this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

I filled my avatar's tank with a molasses mix while on the car. Kept if full by adding a bit of water for a few days, then drained it and flushed it with water, then filled it with gas and drained it multiple times, filtering the gas through a rag and reusing the gas. Once it was running pretty clear, switched to new gas. No problem since. My rust was up on the top inner surface and couldn't be seen looking in the tank. It would plug the line. I run a clear plastic fuel filter and a sediment bowl on the Flathead.
    Molasses won't hurt the paint either.

Dave

Jrs50, ClarkH and rusty valley like this.
  4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. Denatured alcohol for varnish. Molasses for rust.

Jrs50 likes this.

5. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I’m finally able to get some time on it (laid off till the 1st). I got the fuel system off and soaking so I can rebuild the carb. Gonna try and find some molasses in the morning to start the soak. Ill update

6. dwollam

dwollam

@jhouse88 That's feed grade molasses, not grocery store pancake stuff like my buddy tried! Get it from an animal feed store, not a human feed store :) It takes some time to work, not an overnight process.

Dave

Maicobreako likes this.