Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 40 Ford Sedan Deluxe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Scott's 40, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Yes, thanks! I was moving my ground from the cross-frame to the outer rail, back and forth as I was welding up those holes and divots in the two areas. Every once in a while I'd forget to move the ground and it seemed like things didn't go quite as well as when the ground was in close proximty.

loudbang and Jim Bouchard like this.
  2. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Still playing with the welder. I did some warm up on the 1/16th coupons and then decided to work on the holes in the floor of the trunk of my car yesterday afternoon. Here's the big one:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - hole  R.jpg

Here's a look from the bottom. Not sure why they punched these holes in the floor of the trunk since this area is right over the gas-tank. They did a pretty clumsy job of hole-making:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - hole from under  R.jpg

You might be able to see how rough they are in these pictures, so first thing I had to do was pound the edges straight. My lovely assistant helped me with that. She held the head of an old adz (like a flattened sledge with a dull blade on the end opposite the hammer surface - anyway, it was flat on the side and heavy, so just right!) while I pounded upward with a small tack hammer:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - helper  R.jpg

With the metal flattened I could then cut-out/grind circular holes. You'll notice to the left of the large hole that there are two more about quarter-sized:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - cutting holes  R.jpg

I cut up one of my 1/16th practice coupons to make the "hole fillers".
    Sept 1 trunk repair - fill piece  R.jpg

It took a while to get them "fitted" correctly. I moved my magnet to the bottom to hold them in place from when I started tack welding them:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - fitting fill piece  R.jpg

Top view of tacking them into place. Magnet is underneath holding fill-piece into place:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - first tacks  R.jpg

More on this later.

stillrunners, enloe, brEad and 6 others like this.
  3. mickeyc

mickeyc

On holes that large I prefer to remove the surrounding edges until
    a thicker less compromised surface is revealed. When you weld holes
    as rusted you are working with say 18 gauge original thickness that
    may well be as thin as 22 or even thinner gauge. Also when grinding
    try to grind the proud of the bead as much as possible and not the
    surrounding surfaces. Remember you may be grinding metal that is
    thinner than original due to corrosion on the surfaces not readily
    visible. I prefer to use a patch or filler pieces to fill large holes as opposed to
    just laying in globs of weld to make a surface. These methods work for me.
    I burned up, ground away, and in general mutilated a lot of metal learning
    to do better repairs. You appear to be doing well. Trail and error will
    lead you to what works for you.

4. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Thanks! The surrounding metal only had slight surface rust and is in very good condition. Still not sure why someone would cob holes like that in the trunk. But it happened a long time ago, before I bought it in 1966.

5. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Welded and grinded (ground?) I would put the trouble light under the car and shining up to identify any pin-holes of light coming through. I wanted to make sure I had a pretty continuous bead around the fill-piece.
    Sept 1 trunk repair - welded and ground  R.jpg

And then there were the two smaller holes. They were pretty rough:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - small holes from under  R.jpg

I made quarter-sized cut-outs and filler pieces for them:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - small fill piece  R.jpg

By the end of the day, I still had one to finish:
    Sept 1 trunk repair - small hole welded  R.jpg

So, I finished up the last one, ground the welds as flat as I could and then shot them with primer (also sprayed the bottom surfaces):
    Sept 2  primed  R.jpg

6. loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  7. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Oh man!! I'd love to buy that from you, but right now my garage is filled with my 40 sedan stuff scattered all over. Oh, and hear that smacking sound? That's my wife, looking over my shoulder and slapping her rolling pin into the palm of her hand.....

Maicobreako, loudbang and brEad like this.
  8. Hey @Scott's 40 any progress?
    Give me a yell if you need an extra hand.

loudbang likes this.
    loudbang likes this.
  10. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Scott, LOL my wife has NO idea how to use a rolling pin for ANYTHING! especially baking!! That's even after 51 years!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Gary:

Thanks for asking.

With my unheated garage work has slowed down a bit. I am putting a Heidt's SuperRide II front suspension under it, but since this forum doesn't like to have people talk about MII front ends and such, I haven't posted anything. I've got the front end all prepped, boxing plates welded in, and the new cross-section tacked into place. Currently I am making a fixture to make sure I get the upper control arm mounts tacked in at the correct distance apart.

Once I am done tacking in the upper control arms I'll start working on the rear suspension. First I need to find a modern rearend that is compatible. I measure 59 inches brake drum faceplate to faceplate on the old one, so need to find something in that range. I haven't decided yet on parallel leaf springs or a 4 point, but in any case I have to have the rear end so I can specify the rear suspension kit.

For the rearend I'll take the time to box in the rear frame and then tack everything into place. I'll bolt all the front and rear suspension components in place and then slide it under the body to make sure the axles are centered in the wheel wells. If that's good, I finish welding everything and move on to engine selection.

And thanks for the offer of help. I'm sure that I'll definitely take you up on that at some point.

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I put parallel leafs under my 40 and like the ride. I used a Chassis engineering kit on the rear. I worked at a Ford Dealer and copied a crossmember and built my own this was in 1978 and still have my 40.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Somebody had sent me an email expressing interest in my old front suspension, but now I can't find it. Please re-connect. Thanks

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  14. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

I measure my old Ford rear-end as 59 inches from brakedrum faceplate to faceplate. Does anyone have a list of compatible modern rear-ends for replacement? Which do you recommend?

(I need to start hunting one down so I can move forward.)

Thanks!

15. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Does anyone have a list of compatible modern rear-ends for replacement? Which do you recommend?

Just Gary likes this.
  16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Maverick in my 40 coupe, had a Granada in an earlier 40, slightly wider. Maverick is perfect for me. I know there are other options but I have not used any of them.

Hamtown Al and stillrunners like this.
  17. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Thanks! I'm trying to put a list together of potential rear-ends before I go "shopping".

18. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day, Nova rear-axle assemblys were commonly used in vintage Fords. They have dimensions that are near perfect and are almost bolt-in. Probably OK for the street, but they are not robust. My 37 Ford had a Nova rear when I bought the car, but I pulled it to install a Ford nine-inch rear to hold up on the track.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  19. I have a '75 Ford Granada 8". The spring pads measure perfect for the Chassis Engineering parallel leaf kit. Still working on it.....not installed yet. Strong enough for a mild 200hp motor as they came with V8's in the stock configuration.

stillrunners and The 39 guy like this.
  20. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Thanks for the information! But not sure that will hold together with what I am thinking about. Oh well, I gotta keep looking.

21. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

I was going through my Dad's old 35mm slide collection and found a couple of pictures of my car. This one is right after I bought it in 1966. Check out those tires! Dad wouldn't let me drive it until I rebuilt the brakes and replaced the king-pins.
    1966 Dec  40 Ford.jpg

22. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Happy kid! What more could you want than a 40 Ford?

1966 Dec  40 Ford and Scott.jpg

23. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Here it is almost a year later. 53 Merc flathead is out (kept overheating) and 283 PowerPack is in. Dual exhaust glas-pacs. 16 inch wheels gone. Replaced with 15 inch 1950-something Mercury rims. Punched out the rivets and reversed the centerplates and had the local machine shop align and re-rivet them. New tires.
    1967 Oct  40 Ford no hood.jpg

24. Put a Granada 8 3/4 in a '40 Ford Pickup.
    Spring pads lined right up with Chassis Engineering parallel leaf spring kit
    Had to use a 1/4" spacer to keep 235-75 R15 tires on 8" rims from rubbing bed side
    Had a 260hp 350 with a built short tail shaft 350 trans
    Sold the truck several yrs ago
    Hope this helps

Edit:
    Crap, just saw someone else earlier posted the same info, sorry for the repeat

forty002 - Copy.JPG

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    The 39 guy and enloe like this.
  25. I have a '59 9" in my '35; factory pads fit the CE spring other than I had to add a wedge to correct the pinion angle. We put a Bronco 9" in another '40; had to use new spring pads of course; but was not a big deal.
    Both axles were the right width; but are getting a little harder to find.

26. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Thanks for the info. Was there both an 8" and an 8 3/4 available in the Granada?

27. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Thanks! I'll be looking for these.

28. I got it from a friend, it was cheap and went in real easy. Had a pan on the back of the center section like a GM 10 bolt. Other than that do not know a lot about them.
    I also added 1" lowering blocks to lower the gap between wheel opening and the top of the tire

29. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

Interesting. Thanks!

30. Stock '40 Ford rear I believe is 59 1/4" axle flange to axle flange. If I remember correctly this one was 58 ".
    Another popular one back then was a Lincoln Versailles 9" disk brake rear. It was 57 3/4" flange to flange.