Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Quick wheel bs question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Jan 4, 2022.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

With the axle hanging down, it's the top outer corner of the drum to the inner wheel opening edge that matters . With the s10 axle being an inch narrower on each side and the Chevy wheels being the same width as the factory Ford wheels, I'll have an inch more space to slide the tire/wheel between the drums and inner quarters. I only need maybe a half inch. The factory rear axle, wheels and 205 tires give plenty of clearance for the Foxcrafts but the skirts will be off when I take the tires off so that doesn't make any difference

2. twenty8

twenty8

Not if the backspacing is changed.............
    The new axle moves the outside of the tire in 1"........... The new backspace moves it back out 3/4". You would only gain 1/4" extra space.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  3. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

The backspacing only affects where the wheel sits in the wheelwell when it's mounted to the axle. The width of the wheel and tire affects how easily it goes in-and-out when putting it on or pulling it off. The center of the wheel or backspacing has nothing to do with how easily it comes out when you're pulling the wheel and tire off. With the Chevy wheel having 3/4" less backspacing than the Ford wheels, it's going to sit in 1/4 of an inch IN from where it is now. I already have plenty of room between the wheel and the quarter/skirt. With the factory Ford rear axle and rear wheels, once the tire gets past the drum and inner wheelwell opening theres plenty of room. Wheel backspacing won't change that at all.

twenty8 likes this.
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Thanks man but Summit has a 15x5 dual bolt pattern (chevy/Ford) steel wheel with 3" backspacing for $75 ea. They don't look the best but I'm going to run full caps or Foxcraft skirts so they'll be covered.

nochop likes this.
  6. twenty8

twenty8

Ok, I get where you are coming from now. We are both on the same page, just looking from different directions. I thought you wanted less backspace because you didn't have enough room to remove the wheel/tire.....:)

7. twenty8

twenty8

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022