Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for information on 1936 Ford Phaeton / Joe Passalaqua - Bay Area, CA, 1960's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ironandsteele, Jan 4, 2022.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hi,

The short version of the story is that I'm looking for information about a car I have, a 1936 Ford Phaeton. I would like to find old photos of it if any exist, and would like to know more about one of the previous owners, a guy named Joe "Rebel" Passalaqua, who apparently lived in the San Francisco area in the 1960's and owned several neat cars as far as I can tell.

The longer version of the story is:

I bought this car from a gentleman here in Portland, Oregon. He had gotten it when his close friend passed away in 2015. That close friend was named Harold Beal. I was told Harold had bought the car from someone in California some time in the 1960's. The way the car sits now is exactly the way Harold bought it, it hasn't changed very much at all since the 60's.. I was perfectly happy to know just that much of the car's history, I didn't think I would ever know who Harold had bought it from all those years ago and that was ok with me.

Then one day I got a message on Instagram from a guy asking "Is this the car you own?" and a photo of my Phaeton at a car show in San Mateo, California in January 1961. Rod and Custom did a story about the show, and there was a photo of the Phaeton, along with the owner's name, Joe Passalaqua. (This was the May, 1961 issue of Rod and Custom) I can only assume that was who Harold later bought the car from.

With the previous owner's name, I started searching around for information on him and/or my Phaeton. I found several references to Joe attending quite a few car shows in the Bay Area in the 1960's. It sometimes listed the Phaeton as the car he was showing. I then started seeing references to "Rebel" Passalaqua, apparently his nickname.

Somewhere along the way I found out that Joe owned another car in the early 1970's, a '27 T Roadster that was the AMBR winner in 1954, then owned by Frank Rose. It appeared in the June, 1971 issue of Rod and Custom. Kind of neat. It seems like Joe purchased this Roadster shortly after selling the Phaeton, most likely to Harold Beal in Portland.

A side note is that Andy Southard JR. took the photos of Joe's T Roadster for the Magazine feature. I can't help but wonder if Andy might also have some photos of my Phaeton? I think it's a really strong possibility that he does, just based on the location and the sheer number of photos Andy took over his lifetime.

So in conclusion, I'm just trying to find any old photos that may be floating around out there that someone may have. It seems like this car got around a lot back in the day. It has some characteristics that make it pretty easy to spot:

-Chopped windshield
    -Pines trim
    -Bullnose
    -Solid hood sides
    -Wire wheels
    -1941 Ford bumpers and Chevy overriders
    -1939 Ford tail lights
    -Filled cowl vent
    -Shoebox gas door
    -Chromed dash
    -Column shift

If anyone has any information about this car, or knows who may, I would love to hear about it. Finding more photos of it's time in California would be amazing. Does anyone happen to remember Joe "Rebel" Passalaqua? I can only assume he's passed away, but I guess I don't even know that for sure.

I would also be interested in any pictures of this car from when Harold Beal owned it here in Portland. I'm not sure how much it got out during the roughly 50 or so years that Harold had it. I know he did tow his midget race car with it at least a few times.

My plans for this car are just to change the wheels and tires and leave the rest of it alone.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. Please let me know if you happen to have any info.

The car as it is now:

tub.jpg

The small snippet of it in Rod and Custom. May, 1961:

tubrc1.JPG

tubrc2.JPG

tubrc3.JPG

Joe Passalaqua's other car, 1927 T Roadster. Featured in Rod and Custom. June, 1971:

rebelroadster2.jpg

rebelroadster.jpg

The only other "old" photo I have of the car. Taken at Portland International Raceway, 1971:

tubtrack.jpg

ironandsteele.com​

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve no knowledge, but I’m sure I’ve seen the name mentioned before here on the HAMB, maybe in some old threads that were bumped up.
    Did you try his last name in the search bar here?

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thank you. I did do a search here. The only thing that pops up for me is a reference to a Joe Passalaqua that owned or owns the Smirnoff AA/FD dragster. Googling that takes me to an article about that car's restoration. There are several photos of "that" Joe Passalaqua, but I don't think it could be the same Joe. He looks to be a fairly young guy, too young to have been the same person that was showing a car in 1961 I think. Maybe "Joe JR."? I'm not sure. Thank you for the reply.

4. chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I only know the wire wheels look great on that car!

WalkerMD and Stogy like this.
  6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Is this "Joe Passalaqua"?

Stated in the article;

"Likewise, Joe Passalaqua’s Smirnoff AA/FD was a welcomed newcomer to the show; and as an extra added bonus, Daryl Greenamyer was once again behind the butterflies after a 45 year absence."

Also found this in a 2007 cacklefest article;
    "• Smirnoff AA/FD: Fantastic restoration of one of the most beautiful race cars ever built. Originally owned by Lockheed SR-71 test pilot, and Reno air race champion Darryl Greenamyer. Now owned and restored by Joe Passalaqua, Escondido, Calif."

This could be him?

"Joe Passalaqua, age 90, Escondido, CA 92029[​IMG] Search Report
    Known Locations: Escondido CA 92029, Escondido CA 92046, Escondido CA 92026Possible Relatives: K Passalaqua, Joseph Passalaqua, Julie Kay Passalaqua"

https://nostalgiadragworld.com/oldsite/v1i7nitronightatcruisingrand2.php

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a lot younger I built a 36 5 window and my dad used to tell me about a 36 an acquaintance had with "bull nose" trim that went around the grille and down the sides. He tried drawing it for me but let's just say art was not his forte. I always assumed this is what he was referring to. We were from NE Portland so who knows. I hope you find more information on your beautiful tub.

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'm not sure who that is. An article I read about the restoration of that dragster showed photos of a much younger man as being Joe Passalaqua. I'm not sure when the article was written. I think they are different people. I could be totally wrong though.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That's very interesting. Not a lot of 1936 Fords running around Portland with Pines trim on them (I can only assume) so who knows! Thanks.

Outback, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  10. Have you contacted Albert Drake (Flat Out Press). if it was in Portland, Al would probably know.

Mick

11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Maybe it's in Andy Southard's book Hot Rods and Customs of the 1960s?

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

It's not unfortunately. Although Joe Passalaqua and the Frank Rose AMBR car are.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    lothiandon1940, 40LUV and Stogy like this.
  13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I&S;
    If you have access to old ~'69->'74ish R&C yearbooks, maybe Peterson's Ford annuals - come to think of it, I seem to remember a car like that shown from attending a rod run, or two. Don't remember it as a feature, but that Pines grille is distinctive. Possibly pics by Tex Smith. Could also be early streetrodder. I just don't remember which one. Always thought that was one sharp 36. Glad to see it survives. :) .
    Marcus...

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  14. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The Frank Rose T was part of the big auction of the Harrah's collection. I don't recall the exact date, but likely in the late 1960s or very early 1970s as I felt well enough off to bid on it (but not high enough!)

Outback, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stogy likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learned something new. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sorry, no help on this one. I first saw it when Harold had a trailer hitch on it, and connected to the old Gordy Youngstrom Richter Midget. It made quite a picture as both cars were black. And I really got to look it over at McKennett's party this year, when Dale Mathews was driving it. Great Car !

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hi Marty, any chance you might have a picture of it with the midget behind it? I had never seen the car until McKennett's event, it made quite an impression on me to say the least! Thank you for your input.

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jake, I will look in my picture file. Harold brought it to the Old Timer's Picnic at Blue Lake Park, more than once. BTW, Jack Corely might be a source of info.

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thank you very much.

Stogy likes this.
  21. R&C RON

R&C RON

I found your Phaeton in a lot of show programs in the Bay Area in 1960 and 1961. It looks like in late 1960 the Merc Flat-Head was pulled and an Olds was installed.

Scan 2.jpeg Scan.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3706.jpeg Scan 3.jpeg Scan 4.jpeg Scan 5.jpeg Scan 6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3708.jpeg Scan 8.jpeg Scan 9.jpeg

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Am I nuts...or did I just see the car on American Pickers tonight? There was garage (collection) with a chopped '36 Phaeton with a white roof and the Pines hood trim. The episode is; "Skateboards and Gutter Balls".

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. I noticed that too. I kept wishing they’d swing back around to the car again so I could get a better look at it.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have to find the catalog. As I remember things it had the front fenders and a tall top at the time of the auction. I've always liked the look of that car. Bob

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I taped it, I'll watch it again.

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Wow, thank you very much for that. I really appreciate that info a LOT. That's amazing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I don't believe so, but now I'm interested to see what car you're referring to.

Stogy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Any way to get a photo or screen shot by chance?

Stogy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried to find the video of the episode, but the only place it is available was the History Channel. But, there were too many hoops to jump thru to view it...and I gave up:mad:

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

If I can freeze the TV I try to take a photo with my digital camera, this is way past my skill level. Bob