Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 303 - 4X2 or 2X2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vetteson, Jan 7, 2022.

1. vetteson

vetteson

Thinking about carburation for my '51 Olds 303. Want to keep it somewhat period correct (pre-4 barrel era). Could go with two barrel I guess, but I like multiple carburation. Planning on using Rochester "turtle back" carb(s) as that's what Olds used in '49-50 and I like them (cool :rolleyes:). Has anyone used a 4X2 with success on a 303? Progressive or static?

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I ran a Cragar 4x2 on my '50 303 before switching to the 4-71 blower with the same Stromberg 48s.
    Straight linkage not progressive.
    It ran well but better with the blower.
    I now have the same Cragar intake with 97s on a 324. Still straight linkage. It works fine.

If I were to run the turtle back carbs on a 303 I would go with the 2x2.

Edit: my 2x2 Edmunds intake has a four bolt pattern.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

52' was the 1st olds 4 barrel...1 year difference. But multiples are cooler! I am running a 52' intake with a wcfb on it on my 50' 303

302GMC likes this.
  4. I ran 4 97's on my stock 303. Straight linkage. Ran O.K. but spent most of my time beating on the gas inlet fittings to get the needles to close. This was 1959 before we knew about pressure regulators.
    50olds.jpg

5. carbking

carbking

Oldsmobile also used Carters in 1949 and 1950, and these are infinitely better than the Rochester type AA (turtle back). They are also much easier to tune to a multiple installation.

The issue with trying to upgrade the Rochester to the Carter in a SINGLE carb application was the air cleaner adapter required to use the original air cleaner. The Rochester had a round air intake, while the Carter was oval.

With multiple carburetion, since the original air cleaner won't fit anyway, less of an issue.

The Carters also have the 90 degree air intake.

Someone made a 2x2 intake, but do not remember who, maybe Edmunds.

Jon.

kadillackid likes this.
  6. I am with Paul here. If I were building a period motor, and wanted to run the bent over Strombergs I would run a 2x2. They look good and work well.

The 2x2 would have been bolted to a mill that was not built to the hilt. 4 carbs intakes are best suited for big heads and lots of compression, and etc.

7. atomicglowman

atomicglowman

You mean like these...

Attached Files:

Paul likes this.
  8. Anderson

Anderson

I had 97s on an Edmunds 2x2 on a 303 and it ran great. Direct linkage. One carb had a choke.

Paul likes this.
  9. speedshifter

speedshifter

porknbeaner, You mentioned running "bent over Strombergs" Did you actually mean Rochesters or Carters? The only bent over Strombergs I am familiar with were on Studebaker V8's. I have been running 4 97's on a 180 degree Edelbrock manifold with exhaust heat passage (on 324 Olds). I originally ran a non progressive linkage. It ran pretty decent, but at highway speed the 4 carbs were barely cracked open & the mixture was metered by the transition discharge ports. These are fixed discharge ports, so unable to adjust mixture ratio at that throttle opening. Later I fabricated a progressive linkage running end carbs as primary carbs. Really idles & runs great now. An honest 16 mpg at 60mph ( W&H Ducoil distributor with no vacuum advance. No vac advance probably costing maybe 2mpg but looks cool. If interested I will write up hints to successfully set up & run those obsolete old carbs. speedshifter Greg White

CrazyDaddy likes this.
  10. F&J

F&J

They are Rochester AA carbs. I have run them since 2016 on a 324, .030" over, mild NOS 49-51 303 Crower Hyd cam which I had to use the 1.5 ratio McGurk rockers due to lift.

Edmunds 303 intake. I made .120'' thick aluminum gasket adapters to use it on the 324 head port sizes. Original Edmunds air cleaners made for AA carbs, mesh part is shortened to clear the master cyl. Distributor is an old chromed 49-51 shorty to clear the air filters. (You can use the taller 52-up distributor if you use angled sparkplug wire boots in the cap when using the low rise Edmunds)

Edmunds made 2 versions of the 303 2x2 manifold. Early one has open runner webs, low rise. Later was closed webs with higher rise for carbs to clear the taller distributor.

Non-progressive linkage. Chokes not hooked up, made my own carb kits which is not easy, never once have had to readjust them since 2016, no BS. Totally reliable so far. Never bothered to track mileage but I know it's really good.

This has been my true year-round, even in winter, daily driver for 3 honest years. The only other registered vehicle on my property is a 66 K20 camper special that I rarely ever use. I am very lazy as far as maintenance, and the 32 is trouble free and not at all temperamental. No BS.

Pics taken mid September when I spent the day at Rhode Island ocean. No tools, no Triple A, no cell, no problems except I spotted how bad the oil leak was getting when I took these pics. I fixed that a few weeks ago.
    DSCN3773.JPG DSCN3774.JPG DSCN3775.JPG DSCN3771.JPG

I'm in Mansfield Ct 06250, if you want to come drive it. Looks like a 2 hour drive from you.

Ok, truth time, pure naked honesty... I think I went with the Edmunds stuff back then to have something rare or to show off. In hind sight, I now know I am not into ''rare" nor "showing off". I am a hard core Rochester Tri-power guy, and I have a J2 371 intake and matching carb set that a local racer bought new in pieces from the Olds Dealer in 1959, and he milled the intake to fit a 324 in a 1937 chevy drag coupe. It's all in mint condition, and I honestly wish I had run that instead of spending big money on all the Edmunds original parts including valve covers. Despite no problems with the 2x2, I just am more of a Rochester Tri-power guy, as I ran one as a teenager on a 348 56 chev, and also in later life on a 56 Chevy with 327. Memories I guess.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Tim, razoo lew, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  11. vetteson

vetteson

All good stuff, nice pictures, and yes, I am interested in progressive linkage for the 4X2, I currently have a 2X2 setup on my '53 241 Dodge Red Ram/Woodill Wildfire with straight linkage, two Carter WCD Pontiac deuces. Runs great.

wildfire21b.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  12. I meant Rochesters. I had a brain fart. Sorry for the confusion.

loudbang likes this.
  13. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the Cragar 4 carb with new Strom 97s I'm putting on my 303. I have a six carb and a three carb but liked the look of the 4. 20220109_133050.jpg

loudbang, Paul and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. vetteson

vetteson

Looks like straight linkage but am I wrong?