Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can this trim piece be saved? Yes it can..See pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Jan 8, 2022.

1. southerncad

southerncad

Take a look at the pic, guess it hot a little hot, it is a stainless piece of windshield trim I need for my '49. As you can see it has a LOT of blueing, I tried 0000 Steel Wool, and Bar Keepers Friend, to no avail, except making it a bit brighter....Soooo, is there anything else I can do other than having it chromed? Any info will be greatly appreciated.... Trim.jpg

2. TCTND

TCTND

That should buff out; really.

AVater likes this.
  3. Yep, if it's stainless a loose cotton buff and a white rouge compound bar will take the blueing right off...

If it's chrome, use semichrome polish instead.

Bob Lowry, loudbang and AVater like this.
  4. Use some rouge and a buffing wheel. HRP

5. southerncad

southerncad

Thanx for the quick replys, I was hoping that was the case...now I have to go to work:D

6. If you have a buddy with a bench grinder, he probably has a cloth buffing wheel for it. It's also possible to get an inexpensive cloth wheel (Amaz-Bay) for cheap for a power drill. If you don't have a compound stick, I have used rubbing compound on the wheel in a pinch for a small task like that. Dremel tools also have tiny, 1" polishing wheels but they can be a little trickier to get a blended, smooth finish.

pitman likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

If it is for sure stainless and you have a really hard time buffing it, you can wetsand it with 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper, that'll help get the blue off and it'll also flatten out minor scuffs and scratches, then buff on a wheel. You can actually do that with chrome too if it's thick enough, but it's risky on certain pieces.

8. oldolds

oldolds

Try to figure out how to fasten it to something before you hit it with a power buffer. It will get too hot to hold on to. Then it will get caught in the buffer and twist up and cut your hands!!
    I am speaking from experience!

loudbang likes this.
  9. 6sally6

6sally6

X-2 ^^^^^^^^^^
    6sally6

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Use a piece of 2”x2” on the back and grip both tightly while polishing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  11. Always wear leather gloves... and buff away from or parallel to any edges, not into them.

loudbang likes this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Polishing stainless can be a pat yourself on the back type of work.

loudbang and Fortunateson like this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I forgot... when polishing point the piece downwards and make sure the wheel is rotating the same way otherwise the wheel will launch the piece into orbit!

loudbang likes this.
  14. southerncad

southerncad

15. southerncad

southerncad

Thanks for all info on saving this piece...and I took all your good advice and saved it...THANKS!
    And the dark areas are just a reflection... CadTrim.jpg