Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this a 81A flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutchrod, Jan 6, 2022.

1. dutchrod

dutchrod

Yesterday I bought this running flathead.
    The seller told it was a industrial engine, I see 81a-6050 on the heads and on the bell only a 8.
    I think I got a 1939 221cui flathead but want to be sure.

Also I don't see where I can put the oil filter lines , on my 59AB one line goes from the rear of the engine to the filter and the other to the lower side of the engine.
    On this engine I see nothing on the side of the engine and only on the rear.

Also this flywheel is damaged the they drilled and turned it for a small clutch , I want to replace it.
    I can get a French flathead over here flywheel but a don't know if that wil fit the crank and my new ford 59AB clutch that I have.

Thanks for the help ,
    Dennis

IMG_8090.jpeg IMG_8098.jpeg IMG_8097.jpeg IMG_8096.jpeg IMG_8093.jpeg IMG_8092.jpeg

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

never heard of an 81A designation. Looks like a basic flatty

Wonder why the offset genrator?

I have seen oil return lines in the pan, or dipstick boss

3. alchemy

alchemy

I can see the bulges on the sides of the pan rails, so that means there were the freeze plugs in the rails. Built like that from the first of the 24 studs to approx '40 or '41.

If you look on the front of the block, right above the front cover, you can see the face of the block has a sharp corner as if you could rest a pencil there. This is known as the "pencil test", showing an early 24 stud block, but I forget which year that area changed.

The 8 on the bellhousing isn't a common designation, and is probably just a random casting marker from that particular run.

The 81 designation means the heads were designed in 1938. Maybe still produced, unchanged, into later years though.

The dual belts makes the industrial heritage seem logical.

Hamtown Al and Carter like this.
  4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

You can buy the pan fitting for the oil filter return tube from Macs, I think. Another alternative is to drill and tap a hole for 1/8" pipe thread in the intake manifold, between the rear most intake runner and the fuel pump stand. Install a flare fitting for a quarter inch tube and run a line from the oil filter. The return oil will go into the lifter valley and back to the pan. The reason for the offset generator could be because they didn't have the manifold mount bracket. (?) The 81-A on the head is a part number and I may be able to find a year and application for you. This could be a truck engine, maybe a WWll left over.

5. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I know very little about flatheads, is that an aluminum block??

6. Those heads belong on a 239 but not sure if they fit a 221 as well. May have to take a head off to confirm 221 or 239.
    If it's a 239, good score. May also be a relieved block as well>

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. dutchrod

dutchrod

Thanks for all the feedback.
    the offset generator was put on later by the previous owner.
    I’m gonna pull the heads next week to be sure what i got.

learning something new everytime !
    I have a french flatty in my roadster and a 59 ab in my 46 fordor.
    And now this one , they are all a bit different.

8. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Thus sayeth the Green Bible: 81 A heads -- '38 -'42 passenger, commercial and 122" truck with domed pistons. Almost certainly 221 cu. in. (small journal) with factory sleeved cylinders. Too bad you're so far away. I have some engine parts for this one. I do have something that's not being produced and can be mailed, though. Head gaskets for the 221 with sleeves. The gaskets fit exactly on the top of the sleeves and prevent them from climbing up.Won't work for a bored engine. There are simple modifications to the cylinder heads you can do yourself to improve cooling. If you have the heads off and want to do them leave me a private message and I'll describe them for you. Don't pay too much attention to most numbers on these engines. Most don't mean anything but to those long gone factory workers. Some were never recorded and some mean nothing to anyone.

9. clem

clem

Is that a generator or one of those British dynamators ?
    Also, why no fan - or was it removed ?

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

X2 on whether or not the block is Aluminium...

11. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

81a is 221ci part number designation 99a is 239 ci

dutchrod likes this.
  12. dutchrod

dutchrod

Engine is not aluminum, just a strange color.
    I’m gonna clean the engine and paint it ford green.

13. dutchrod

dutchrod

The generator was later put on , i plan on normal style generator with fan.

clem likes this.
  14. dutchrod

dutchrod

Also there are two taps for coolant on each side of the engine just behind the waterpumps , first time i see this on a flathead.

F413A122-691A-450D-AF41-7D787FC02A43.jpeg

15. dutchrod

dutchrod

Made a simple engine cradle today so i can pull the pan and check if i can save the flywheel or if it is junk.
    They drilled extra holes in it for a strange small clutch.
    Also it looks like it was on a lathe but not evenly turned, one side has a deep edge and the other side is flat.

9F39A577-5789-4303-9FA6-900A4A6DE04C.jpeg 76512353-9BC8-4144-88CC-5D25CF88DDFE.jpeg 8002066C-F178-45CD-BB25-964B99B5F318.jpeg

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The upper nut is upside down.

[​IMG]

rusty valley and Hamtown Al like this.
  17. flatjack

flatjack

Oil filters were accessories on these engines and the oil was returned via a hollow bolt on the fuel pump stand.

18. alchemy

alchemy

The flywheels of that era (on passenger cars) had a big raised edge outside the clutch disk. It's common to cut it off to lighten them. Maybe this was done for the industrial application.

19. clem

clem

did Henry Ford ever build an aluminium block, - I never thought so - not in mass production anyway.
    So google turned up this……..may be of interest to some.
    Sorry if this appears to be a distraction to this thread, - happy to remove post if required.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95539

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022